Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that make passing possible

Clothing Makes the Girl LeslieBird's Avatar

Things that make passing possible

I know that completely passing is probably never going to happen -- but I do know that sometimes I do better than other times. Here are some things I think make a difference -- I'd be interested in what you have found...

1. Skirts too short. A dead giveaway. I wear short skirts, but never too short if I want to be in public.
    2. Brunette rather than blonde. Who doesn't what to be a blonde -- but it screams fake.
    3. Perfect eyes and eyebrows. I agonize over eyeliner and over brow shape. It seems to make a difference. I've found that the less eyeshadow the better -- darker and bigger eyes are not good.
    4. Conceal the back and shoulders. I am top heavy and know it -- if I really want to blend I wear a cape.
    5. Reasonable boobs. Not too large.
    6. If I am in a completely straight environment, such as a mall, I'm spotted less often. I think people don't see what they aren't looking for. "Alternative" neighborhoods are impossible to pass in, but then again they don't care how you are dressed anyway.
    7. Smiling. I can make most suspicious eyes change mood by flashing a smile. I suspect GG's have known this for years.

Yeah!!! Those are good... If passing is important to you... But then there's that attitude that says you belong there dressed as you are.... Which in my book makes up about 95% of the pasability equation...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Yeah!!! Those are good... If passing is important to you... But then there's that attitude that says you belong there dressed as you are.... Which in my book makes up about 95% of the pasability equation...

Yes yes and YES on this one tip

Mkaes all the difference.

*hugs*

Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

Clothing Makes the Girl LeslieBird's Avatar
    Very true -- in fact before I go out I remind myself that it really doesn't matter if I pass or not. Yeah its nice, but its also nice to be appreciated as myself. That makes it more fun, less scary and puts it in perspective

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I've found its easier to pass when you are confident and dont care.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    Yep! This is the one!

Sarah...

Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    Yep! I have to agree with that one too. It also makes it a lot more fun if you have that attitude. keep on gurlen sista's
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    Confidence overcomes most anything. Staring people down helps too.

Genetic girls break all the rules on your list?

The difference is, they don't even consider the possibility that anyone might think they're not who they think they are? Try that confidence for yourself..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

The tips I try to keep in mind:

1) Dress your age. Yup, that means no catholic school girl outfits out to the mall, even if you ARE a young-looking 50!

2) Dress appropriate to the time/location. Formal evening wear and 6" heels at the mall? Super short mini skirt to go to the grocery store? Dead giveaways.

Unfortunately, 'dressing appropriate to the location' in these parts often means jeans and a sweatshirt. Yuck. But I can still 'blend' in a more casual skirt, pull-over jersey, casual shoes without looking too out of place.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristi View Post
    The tips I try to keep in mind:

1) Dress your age. Yup, that means no catholic school girl outfits out to the mall, even if you ARE a young-looking 50!

2) Dress appropriate to the time/location. Formal evening wear and 6" heels at the mall? Super short mini skirt to go to the grocery store? Dead giveaways.

Unfortunately, 'dressing appropriate to the location' in these parts often means jeans and a sweatshirt. Yuck. But I can still 'blend' in a more casual skirt, pull-over jersey, casual shoes without looking too out of place.
    Drives me nuts see folks in PJs at the grocery store . I can do jeans but sweat shirt yuck
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Just simply relaxing and acting naturally with lots of smiles seems to be good for me.
    I guess that is what karren does.

I always had a dream of being a girl, and now I've got my chance.
    I'm basically the same person, just not hiding who I am anymore.

Relax... Just do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Think my height would possibly be my main problem i'm 6ft 3
    Angela

One can ask oneself whether the lack of confrontation is the same as passing? I suspect that it is not.

There is something called political correctness that forbids people from making confrontations over issues like this and while most people simply dont care, others who do notice wont say anything anyway because they dont want to create an issue.

Some people just are not "PC" and therefore like to start these confrontations, but they are few and far between thankfully and someone like us who does the CD thing can go a long way before coming upon someone who is this way.

Being "passable" and actually being confused for a woman are two different things entirely.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

While I know that complete passing is never attainable (I won't lose sleep at night over that one), I still try to make at least a reasonable presentation. For me, that means brunette (my natural hair color), knee length skirts (I HATE shorter skirts on me!), and makeup that matches my complexion. But, that's what makes me happy. For everyone else, just have fun! Isn't that the point of anything?
    The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views expressed in this post.

Twitter @beth785cd

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieBird View Post
    Here are some things I think make a difference --
    1. Skirts too short. A dead giveaway.

Oops

2. Who doesn't what to be a blonde -- but it screams fake.

Oops again

3. darker and bigger eyes are not good.

Yet more Oops

5. Reasonable boobs. Not too large.

Big Oops
    I think i'll give up on the passing idea then!!!!
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 02-25-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    Genetic girls break all the rules on your list?

The difference is, they don't even consider the possibility that anyone might think they're not who they think they are? Try that confidence for yourself..
    Can a Sister get an Amen?
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Banned Read only
    I saw this on an episode of CSI Miami. The key plot point was that women in Miami don't wear pantyhose unless they are hookers or from out of town. This might be good to remember in places with very warm weather.

sunny with a high of 75!
    I saw a CDer at the zoo the other day, she was with spouse (presumably) and son (about 6 or 7). I spotted her (him) initially because the femme mannerisms were overdone, then I noticed the shoulders, the shaved legs, the voice. I wouldn't have looked twice at the height (over 6'2" or so), tall women are often seen here. Don't overdo the mannerisms, ladies! GG's just aren't that prissy these days.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Here's MY list!

1. Help from my fairy godmother.

2. A Genie coming from my wine bottle with 3 wishes.

3. Help from the Good Witch of the South. AND the Ruby slippers!

4. Mind altering drugs! ( For everyone, or, just me).

5. Last but not least; if all of the above don't work, dress like a crazy person and see if I can pass in my mirror!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

But...but... I am blond. And I have the legs for short skirts. As noted we will usually have a hard time passing no matter what. I know TS's who are transitioning who will look like a guy even after surgery. I know CD's who slip in without a second glance. I also know GG's who look like a guy too. As stated act like you know what you are doing and no one really cares.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Passing is all a state of mind, if you do not care and just act like the rest of the females on the planet you will go un-noticved most of the time. Worst thing you can do is get with a large group where some of the gurls do not put in the effort to look their best. Walk like a duck dress like a duck and you will be thought of as a duck.

I always get a kick out of the supposed obsession that CD's are supposed to have about "passing". As opposed to what? "Failing"? "Failing" what? Being ourselves? Seriously, if the goal is to "pass" we are doing it for the wrong reason.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If you really want to PASS out in public - then dress to BLEND in - not to

stand out and call attention to yourself. If we were to see a GG who was

blonde and wearing a really short skirt and was made uo to the nines, we and

everyone else would be starring at her. Just try to BLEND in.

JoAnne Wheeler

Silver Member
    A lot of great tips and comments. I think smiling and dressing to blend. A mall trip on Saturday needs to be a more casual look than one on a weekday. On weekdays you will see women dressing in skirts and siuts with heels and pantyhose, rarely on a weekend.
    I agree that a outting without confrontation is what I strive for since I can pass muster, beyond a quick glance. The don't be too prissy is a big one as well. Years ago I had my colors done and the woman also claimed to teach body language and poise but her advice was so over the top I only did one session 9 wish I could get that $$ back). If I was trying to do a Marilym Monroe or Betty Boop imitation I would have gone back.