Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your writing male or female - the gender genie

Is your writing male or female - the gender genie

http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

This tool examines writing you input and tells you if it thinks it was written by a man or a woman. It does this based on what words are used most often where there is a difference between the sexes. On the results page it shows you which words were most typically male, and which are more likely to be from a female.

Pretty fun, maybe good practice if you want to sit there and write stuff trying to fool it...

Steph

Gold Member
    First try -
    female score = 340
    male score = 376.

I wrote basically about things I have done over the past few days, nothing interesting. Kind of sucks with my scores but at least I can learn from this.

Tried it again and got a female score that is higher.
    I don't quite understand how they come up with this cause the female and male keywords are mostly conjunctions, prepositions, adverbs and pronouns.

I would have thought the keywords would be things like adjectives or specific nouns or verbs.
    Last edited by Nicole Erin; 02-26-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Thank you so much, Steph. I've often wondered about doing something like this.
    warmly, Linnea

Words: 771
    (NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 1059
    Male Score: 658

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

hehe I showed this to a friend of mine, and she was like, "Well DUH!"

Feelings with no outlet.. Ballerina's Avatar
    I'm not exactly sure on how so few key words can determine the gender of your writing... I made the main character in my story male (albeit a romantic story), and my writing still came out to female; as well as a few of my blog posts. Quite confusing to me.
    I'm not out to fool the world, just my inner girl
    Real men wear pink <3

G.K. Chesterton
    “Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

interesting.
    Words: 880
    (NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 1335
    Male Score: 1146

I wrote this story for my girlfriend for an assignment of hers (yeah bad me. slap on the wrist:P ) a couple months back, and looks like it turned out feminine anyway! heh. not by much, but still interesting.

Humbug! How is "with" a female word.

I'm an engineer... My writing fall's outside of any known gender norms... male or famale..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gender Genie

I am an engineer too, and I retrieved some of my writings from my personal and professional work. What I found was my personal work was almost entirely female biased and the professional was almost always male. However, I have used that trick that Dilbert does in Karren's messages and I find it works equally well on both males and females...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by stephgoth View Post
    http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

This tool examines writing you input and tells you if it thinks it was written by a man or a woman. It does this based on what words are used most often where there is a difference between the sexes. On the results page it shows you which words were most typically male, and which are more likely to be from a female.

Pretty fun, maybe good practice if you want to sit there and write stuff trying to fool it...

Steph

I dropped a few sermons in it, including last week's in which I used the phrase "pink fog" just because I could and it made me giggle. They all came back female, and by a fair margin... I am not terribly suprised, even though this is some of my most technical and professional writing... why should it be any other way?

Quote Originally Posted by SallyNMarv View Post
    I'm not exactly sure on how so few key words can determine the gender of your writing...

Quite confusing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    There are more than a few ways to put something like this together.

The first does not require any sort of theory behind it - merely making observations about what is done by various groups, and then extrapolating that information to the test sample. the way you do this is to simply take large numbers responses from known groups (so get 500 essays known to be written by girls, and 500 essays known to be written by boys) and compare them to each other to find the words and phrases and speech patterns that one group tends to use that the other group tends not to use. Then, take the "test" sample, and analyze it - looking for the patters you found previously in the control samples - and viola!

Another method is to take a theory, like the theory that women use more words, and construct more complicated sentences with them than men do, and then simply apply that theory to the test sample. Longer samples with more complicated sentence structure get tagged as being written by a girl, shorter, more simplistic sentence structure gets tagged as having been written by a guy.

Either one of those methods could explain why conjunctions and any particular simple word might get you tagged as a girl - conjunctions lead to more complexity, and ANY word could actually be used by more girls than guys. I saw the results of one of these tests once where they found that something like 90% of girls thought the word "used" was more gross than the word "moist." Why? who cares - it is just how it is, but you can bet that when I am describing something gross, and I am trying to sound like a girl, I describe it as used.

Here is another one for you to keep in mind as you maneuver through life as a girl - girls tend to double words for emphasis, as in "she had some big big boobs!" or "that was a red red lipstick!"
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'm an engineer... My writing fall's outside of any known gender norms... male or famale..
    Engineer? I thought you were a hockey player...
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    Yeah, I put this in the "pseudoscience" bin along with those popular "what gender are you" personality tests. An amusing diversion, but about as scientific or meaningful as a fortune cookie.

ralph

Talking

Female Score: 1458
    Male Score: 779

this is about an extract from a modern fantasy fiction book I'm messing about writing...

Oh, it says I'm female... What an absolute darling
    Last edited by Lisa Golightly; 02-27-2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Yeah, I put this in the "pseudoscience" bin along with those popular "what gender are you" personality tests. An amusing diversion, but about as scientific or meaningful as a fortune cookie.
    I guess that depends on how you define "pseudoscience." Those of us with social science degrees (my undergraduate is in psychology) would probably disagree with you though.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Thumbs up

The test decided that i am 100-female, 52- male.
    that comes as a big supprise to me. All these years dressing in drab, I could have had silk, satin and nylon. What a shock!!
    Last edited by jaleecd; 02-27-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Although I don't think this is a definitive test, but I found about 7 posts I've made in various forums, dealing with a number of different issues. Most posts were around the 500~600 mark.

All of them gave me female as small advantage, though nothing so one sided that I could say I was a girl.

Still a bit of fun
    Save the internet - use recycled pixels
    The Only Tag that is worth having is the one for the dress you're looking at buying - and even that's not always 100% correct

I've run a couple of my stories throught it, in the past and just now, and they've all come up close to:

Female Score: 31628
    Male Score: 26234

Hugs,

Teddie

I am shocked by my results. I took something I wrote earlier so as not to bias the results. As a former high school English teacher I though my writing would be gender neutral. Imagine my surprise with these results:

Female Score: 1013
    Male Score: 595

Makes me think, is proper use of the English language a femine trait?
    Dana Fleming

Well I copy / pasted a bunch of my posts from here as well as my stuff from my myspace page & it came back with this:

Words: 6521 - Female Score: 10396 - Male Score: 8710

[Total Score: 19106 54.4% Female - 45.6% Male]

Funny side note:
    I ran two of my GG friend's myspace pages in it.
    The Tomboyish girl scored: 52% Female
    The Girly girl scored: 64% Female
    Last edited by Sammy777; 02-27-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Well for what it is worth here's my score:
    Female Score 325
    Male Score 159
    The Gender Genie thinks I am Female.

I am so glad, because I often write letters signing myself.....
    Lesley Ann.

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Yep. It thinks I'm female too. It's very good then! Heehee...

Still trying to get it to say male. No luck yet but I will persist It will be fallible - it's an algorithm afterall.

Sarah...

I didn't take the test, but I do a lot of writing and I could slant my writing

toward either male or female

JoAnne Wheeler

Silver Member
    741 female 423 male.
    Now granted I wrote about a young lady getting ready for her homecomming so I skewed the results but I will take it.

I picked out a piece of fiction I wrote last month that I thought for sure would be masculine.

My score?
    Female - 1465
    Male - 916

The gender genie thinks the author of this passage is: female

It seems that all the gender tests and brain sex tests I take I come out as distinctly female. It really makes me wonder.
    Last edited by Tasha T; 02-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.