Thread: Felt really guilty shopping today

Felt really guilty shopping today

Hello all...

Today was the last day of my wife's & I vacation from work. For the past week, I've refrained from really doing any shopping for myself. Went to plenty of clothing stores with my wife while she shopped, but unlike her, I'm really frugal and don't like to spend bucko bucks for clothes for a hobby. I can understand my wife paying full price since she uses the clothes for everyday wear for work, etc. Since I can't justify spending much on my needs for a 'hobby', I routinely stick to the Goodwill & other thrift stores - I've found some really cute stuff there time to time.

Started out the last day of our vacation in an upbeat mood with the anticipation of store hopping and hoping I'd find some cute outfits and just having a good time with my wife (we often poke fun at some of the fashions you can find in a thrift shop - there's a reason it's there).

At the first thrift store we went to (Goodwill), our upbeat moods were crushed. The overall feel among the shoppers were very depressing. It was obvious, many were shopping there to stretch the unemployment dollar as far as they can and still find some decent clothes for an upcoming job interviews.

I felt incredibly guilty. Here I was out & about on a weekday, taking a paid day off from my full-time job, and taking an unpaid day off from my PT job. What struck home the hardest was here I was trying to be cheap to fulfill my hobby & avoid paying full price, while other shoppers were not there for just a good time, but rather cause they were truly down on their luck.

Needless to say, I had to stop my shopping and leave empty handed to save the best for those really needing them in these tough times.

Anyone else have any similar instances?

Nicole

loves shoe shopping
    First of all, you sounded like you're thinking negatively. Don't! Not everyone who goes to thrift stores is down on their luck. Some just don't want to pay full price. Some just shop there because they can find stuff that they can't find in other stores. Everyone has their reasons for shopping at thrift stores, but you really shouldn't feel bad for everyone who shops there, because if you do, then you shouldn't shop at all. Shopping should be fun!

If you feel that someone is down on their luck, then make yourself feel better by asking them if they'd like a few bucks, or maybe pay for their purchases. Just don't take the fun out of shopping.

No I love shopping I work hard for it. Nave you ever tried the clearance racks in the major stores I got over $80 worth of things for less them $25 At JC Pennys and Cohles.
    Angie

Professional Socialite
    Whenever I feel guilty spending money shopping it always makes me feel better to go out and get myself a nice outfit :> which makes me feel bad for spending money, where I have to repeat the process :>

Single handedly stimulating the US economy :> one pair of shoes at a time!
    To Thine Own Self Be True - Hamlet and Reba :>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no no no

We're capitalist and have a market based economy. I.e. Its based on a market. I.e It's based on people buying and selling without intervention of the govt to control pricing. When people buy and sell it works. When people get scared and stop doing that it fails. If you can afford it and you need or want something you help everyone else in the economy by buying.

Think of it this way. You didn't buy, The thrift stores didn't get your money to use to help those who need it. If you continue the trail, it leads less work for the thrift store employees-less consumption of clothes-less clothing needed to be made- less workers needing to make clothing-less workers needing to pick/manufacture clothing material-less taxes on all of these services etc.

You can also help all those who do need to shop in Thrift stores by donating to the thrift stores, which will clear out your own closets and create room for that other stuff you need while giving them more free stuff to sell to employ people and provide charity services.

Don't feel guilty about being a thrifty shopper - my relationship with my

Spouse might have been better if I had - as it was, she brings it up to me

everyday that I spent too much on JoAnne's wardrobe

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Obama didn't feel guilty when he spent $150 million on his inauguration party so I can't see why you would feel guilty shopping at Good Will.

Aspiring Member
    We all have our positions in life, some are wealthy some are poor some fall right in the middle. Weak or strong we take what life gives us and make the best out of it. That was a very thoughtful thing that you did, what a big heart.

Banned Read only
    I agree, very thoughtful, indeed. But like the others say, your shopping at a charity related shop will actually help them provide clothes or services for those who do need 'em. (Most charity shops are the fund raising parts of orgs like Salvation Army & other NGOs that use that money in lots of different useful ways. They ain't payin' giant wages and bonuses to fat cat CEOs!)

What I very often do to make up for that guilty feeling of getting something i really love for a ridiculously low price is just volunteer to pay more. "What? That jacket is only a buck? Here's a fiver, put it in the kitty!"