Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Driver License and ID

Texas Driver License and ID

I've been doing a lot of flying femme these days, and I had begun to wonder of it would be possible to have both, A Texas Drivers License AND a Texas State ID. I'd keep my DL with my male pic, and get the ID as Kim, giving all the accurate and legal info, just having different pics. This way I'd have a legal state ID with my Kim pic on it to make it easier for anyone seeing my ID to accept that it was in fact me. Y'all know how the internet is, I've seen conflicting information - some saying it was legal and some saying it wasn't, so I went to the source. From their web page I sent the following email to the Texas Department of Public Safety (More or less the Texas DMV) and received the response making it clear that it IS legal:

Questions/Comments: For reasons I'd rather not go in to unless I have
    to, I'd like to know if it is legal to have both, a Texas DL AND a Texas
    ID at the same time as long as they both are accurate and there is no
    intent to defraud or give false information? Many thanks

And their response below:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your
    email request regarding your Texas driver license.

Per your request, it is legal to carry an id card and a drivers license.
    Be sure that the address remains the same on both as well as keeping the
    id card in a safe place incase you ever loose your drivers license you
    will have proof of identity.

I hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact
    Customer Service at customerservicedl@txdps.state.tx.us or 512-424-2600
    should you have additional questions or need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Angela Ibarra
    Administrative Tech III
    Driver License Division
    Texas Department of Public Safety

So now it's time for another Kimberly gut/courage check! Gotta go to the DPS office dressed, fill out the paper work, and "Git er done!" I don't want to do it in my small town 'cause I figure half the population will know about it before my pic is even taken. LOL

Kimberly Huddle

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Wait I've thought you flown as Kim before ?? Getting a state ID should be easy

Now this May I'm actually going to use my state ID when I fly as Niya
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

What name are you going to go about putting on there? Are you going to use your real name with your femme pic?

Please keep us posted!

Semi Sane innocent angel
    She has to use her real name. If she use a different name that's a big no no.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

Quote Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
    She has to use her real name. If she use a different name that's a big no no.
    Roger that - all of the information on it must be correct and accurate. The name MUST be my legal name, as well as the gender, address, age, etc. As far as I know, the only thing that is under my control and optional, is my appearance when the picture is taken! :-)

Oh, and YES I have flown many times from several airports and I've never had a problem yet. i would just feel more confident and secure if I had a legal ID with my Femme pic on it.

Just the thought of standing in a DMV station with a bunch of other people (while dressed) scares the bejeesus outa me. Please let us know how it goes. I can be brave on occasion. If it goes well with you ( I know, no guarantees), then maybe I could urge myself to do the same. The ID would make me feel more comfortable in many situations. Good luck!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
    - Dolly Parton

Make sure you let us see the picture...we all look so good with official gov't pictures!

I'm curious...Do they actually keep both photos on file or only the latest one?

For instance, if you get pulled over by the police, would their computer show your female photo, both or your male one?

It is a cool idea. I wish it could be done in my province.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally2005 View Post

For instance, if you get pulled over by the police, would their computer show your female photo, both or your male one?

I have been thinking about that my darn self! Especially as my DL expires in Sept. I might wait until after I renew the DL to do this just so I don't end up with a drivers license with my femme pic on it. LOL

NOW THIS is a great post - I have to check out Kentucky

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally2005 View Post

Well I found out in California they used they latest pic. I lost both my state ID and DL. Since my DL was the most important I applied for that first. I went for my state ID a week later To my surprise it was the pic I took for my old state ID .( I didnt take a new pic ). At first I was wondering how did my state ID get her first .

In Pennsylvania every time we renew our driver's license, we have to take a new photo at the center. However, I don't believe we have an official ID card separate from the driver's license.
    And, yes, Kim, we must see your ID photo!
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

What if you renew your liscense as Kim (him). Then a week later, "Oops! I seem to have lost my new liscense." as Kim (her). Would they take a new photo, and you tell them all the information is the same. Done and done! Hmmm?

In Virginia, the last I heard, since 911 you are not allowed to have both a drivers licence and a non-drivers ID card. You could before.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

A google search of
    texas code title 37 part 1 chapter 15
    will get you to the Texas Administrative Code

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...quirements.htm
    Last edited by DonnaT; 03-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    DonnaT

Kimberly you will do fine at DMV. I got my non drivers license picture ID three years ago with no problem. It is so much easier to have your ID reflect the person you are.

Eileen

I've had my Texas ID for two years and it does come in handy for when I'm in me mode. I was alittle concerned about going down and getting it made. NO problems, everyone there was very polite even the trooper that was helping everyone was very professional. Yes it does have to have the "Legal" name and all on it. This comes in handy for when you write a check or use your credit card. When you fly it serves us well when we go through the security checks. Many of us do look different then our butch self. If the pic does show up on the DL, oh well.

HUGS Sandra

In Georgia it is also legal to have both an ID and a separate drivers license. The main thing the drivers license dept. cares about is collecting money. They don't care how you dress, but all info on the ID must be accurate and legal. I have had one for over three years. It must be a fairly common thing in the Atlanta area as the staff at the office I got mine at didn't act like it was at all out of the ordinary. The whole process (including waiting for the ID to come out of the machine) took less than 20 minutes. It was a very painless procedure. Many of my friends in the Atlanta area have done the same thing.

The one thing you have to be careful about is renewing your drivers license. I once took a friend to get an ID card with her femme photo on it and, in spite of my warnings not to, she got talked into renewing her drivers license at the same time. She ended up with a Drivers License and ID with the same femme picture on it. She solved the problem a week later by going to a different office dressed drab and saying he lost his newly renewed license. They took a new photo (at his request) and issued another license. He did have to pay the lost license fee to get that done.

After getting a photo taken in Georgia for either the ID or driving license, the latest one stays on file in their computer. Effectively that means if renew your license by mail and your last photo was femme, that's what will be on the license. Therefore the last time I renewed my license (about a year ago) I went in person (dressed drab) and got a new picture taken. Everything is as it should be on my license and ID.
    Phoebe

Good for you!
    Last year I got a Fla ID with my femme picture (male info the same) and it was a piece of cake.
    It works great at any place I use it (i.e. airports, shopping, clubs, etc.).
    You go girl!

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Cant believe I'm actually saying this, but isnt this a prime example of where fingerprint or retina scan outweighs the old photo thing.......

Wouldnt need to worry about pics matching then would we.......

To Kimberly, or anyone else really, have you considered changing your name to your girl name? Or is it a non-starter for most.......

I've often wondered how it would go down if I was stopped when dressed and asked to provide ID? But then I think of how it goes with GG's who are heavily made up, different hairstyles etc.....I mean my GF looks nothing like her driving licence photo, or her passport one for that matter. In fact I look nothing like my passport photo.

Rach

Quote Originally Posted by Erica A. View Post
    What if you renew your liscense as Kim (him). Then a week later, "Oops! I seem to have lost my new liscense." as Kim (her). Would they take a new photo, and you tell them all the information is the same. Done and done! Hmmm?
    Well my first thought would be that what you suggest would have me breaking the law and risking the reprecusiions when there is no need. Ican get the ID nice and legal and with no risk.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel B View Post
    Cant believe I'm actually saying this, but isnt this a prime example of where fingerprint or retina scan outweighs the old photo thing.......

Wouldnt need to worry about pics matching then would we.......

To Kimberly, or anyone else really, have you considered changing your name to your girl name? Or is it a non-starter for most.......

I've often wondered how it would go down if I was stopped when dressed and asked to provide ID? But then I think of how it goes with GG's who are heavily made up, different hairstyles etc.....I mean my GF looks nothing like her driving licence photo, or her passport one for that matter. In fact I look nothing like my passport photo.

Rach
    Cops out here could careless for the most part. Had few that just did not know to deal with a CD . I use to drive a bit fast

Funny thing is I have the exact same number on my state ID as I do on my DL.

Kim Rocks!!!

you go girl, every step is another step towards complete success. i can't wait to see your new id pic.
    Life is short be sexy every chance you get!!!

Kim, a couple of years back I had to renew my Dl and decided that I wanted my emfemme picture on it, since back then I was almost 24/7. So I got all prettied up, went down to the DMV, filled out all the information correctly and had my picture taken with no problems, Then didn't even bat an eye and all were very professional . And the picture was actually very good.
    Striving for acceptance.

San Francisco girl
    I have shoulder length hair. As a boy, I wear it in a pony tail. As a girl, I wear it down and on my shoulders. I made an appointment with the dmv to replace my lost license. Since the photo is a headshot, I avoided all of the issues of going en femme by going dressed as a boy, but with a few tiny differences. I kept my hair down, and applied just a bit of foundation to soften my skin. No lipstick, no blush, no eye makeup.

The person who helped me pulled up my records, looked at the photo, looked at me, and said "You want a new picture, right?" Twenty minutes later, and $28 poorer, I headed home to wait for the mailman to bring my new license. Now I have a license with a photo that works perfectly well in drab or drag.

Wendi