Thread: State identification.

Aspiring Member

State identification.

After reading the thread about getting identification with your fem picture, I became determined to do so as well. Being on spring break and with my two teenagers making arrangements to spend the night at friends gave me the opportunity to visit the driver's license bureau and "git er done".

I got up early and prepared for my outing as I was going to make it an all day outing. I picked my outfit carefully, finally deciding on a brightly multi-colored top and conservative denim skirt. My first stop was the license bureau but when I arrived there were multiple buses and delivery trucks for people to get their CDL, it was very crowded and there were several "bubbas" standing outside smoking and waiting for their turn to be tested. The chicken that I am I decided to go to Walmart to do some food shopping which I finished around 9:30 am. I went back to the state office, composed myself and went in. There were about 12 people in line waiting to talk to the receptionist. When it was my turn, I explained what I wanted and lo and behold, I didn't have the right identification/paperwork with me; I needed a notorized copy of my birth certificate. Back home I headed in search of my birth certificate and to put away the groceries.

I had a 10:30 appointment for a pedicure, took care of my commitment and just after noon, back to the bureau I headed with my birth certificate and driver's license as my two forms of id. Upon entering the line to the receptionist was longer than before but I was determined to finish the business I had started that day. After I filled out the proper paperwork I had a seat and waited for my number to be called to get into the final line and get my Texas State ID. My number was called, I stood in another line of about 8 people, and worked myself to the front. There were 10 employees working (9 women and 1 man) and you guessed it, I got the man. I explained what I wanted, he got a personal phone call and I was left standing once again. Upon his return, I explained again and his reply was that what I wanted may be illegal and he didn't think that I could have an ID and a driver's license at the same time; he would have to check with his supervisor. Again I was left standing. When he came back, I had to swear that everything I had written on the paper was the truth, I paid $5 for the ID, moved to the picture spot and bingo, it was over. From the time that I entered to building to the time I walked out, the time was about 60 minutes.

Here is what I learned from the experience:
    1. You will need at least two forms of identification, one a birth certificate.
    2. Don't expect all the employees to know the law.
    3. You can expect everyone to be courteous and non-judgemental.
    4. Even though you may be seen by 50 to 75 people in an area 30 x 30, no one pointed, laughed or made any snide or rude comments.
    5. If I can be brave enough to get a state ID, I can go and do almost anything!

Annie

Go gurl !

I would not have anticipated some of the experience you related if it had it been me either.

Figures, one guy and you'ld get him.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

KarenS
    I love being a woman!

humm I wonde if we can do that ove here in TN?

ROFL - you got around to implementing it before I did! Awesome job and well done. I know you must have considered chickening out when they sent you back for the birth certificate, but you stuck with it!
    The whole Birth Certificate thing surprises me. You HAVE a Texas drivers license and they still required a Birth Certificate? I had intended to take my DL and my Passport, but looks like I still would have been wrong.
    Thanks for blazing the trail!

Good for you! I've wanted to do this too, but I haven't had the moxie. Does anyone know what that rules are for this in other states, especially in my state--Washington?
    warmly, Linnea

It's now a law that you bring your notarized copy of your birth certificate, it has to have the state in which you were Born state notary stamp on it, even if its your original, if it doesn't have the stamp it's not going to work, you have to send off to the state you were born and get a new one, been there done that, this to prove you are who you are, and not a spy
    xoxoxoJennifer Easton
    Mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat girl!

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    What an adventure with a great result.

In Maine I just took my current drivers liscence and my passport. I don't think they even looked at the passport. Texas may be different.
    Sally

Good Job, Annie.

Now for the important question: how was the picture??

This is ok to do in CA also, but I know my boy pic on my latest D/L is just awful (of course, I didn't have the benefit of makeup and nice hair :-)

I'm thinking I should practice, practice, practice the exact expression I want.

-- Diane

Doggone it, I am proud for you. Good job. That is gonna make me braver, by just reading what you did----lol. Seriously, that gives one food for thought. Kimberly? Time for test number 2.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
    - Dolly Parton

Aspiring Member

Kimberly and all!

Yes, you can take a passport in place of your birth certificate. I don't have a passport but I imagine that you have to present your b.c. to get a passport. The new restrictions on getting ID and/or license is based on 911.

Good luck to everyone

GREAT - I love your determination and courage

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Aspiring Member

I can only hope!

Katie, I hope so!!! Wouldn't that be a scream to be pulled over and given a ticket for not being crossdressed. How would I appear in court???

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Well done Annie, but does that mean you now can't drive your car if you're not dressed ?
    She just got a state id. She is still going to need a dl while driving. A cop pulling you over won't take an id only. They are going to want a dl.

I can't do this in Kansas. They only allow one or the other. Part of the Real ID Act is to have only one state issued id. States that's allow both are not in compliance with this law. I would assume that this loop hole is going to close soon.
    The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views expressed in this post.

Twitter @beth785cd

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Quote Originally Posted by dilane View Post
    Good Job, Annie.

Now for the important question: how was the picture??

This is ok to do in CA also, but I know my boy pic on my latest D/L is just awful (of course, I didn't have the benefit of makeup and nice hair :-)

I'm thinking I should practice, practice, practice the exact expression I want.

-- Diane
    Chimes in Bay area girl. All they asked me for was my DL number. Then didn't even look at my Dl.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Good for you girl! I guess it was worth the wait.

Me, I had an easier time getting my Florida ID.
    I didn't have to fill out any paperwork nor did I have to present any additional ID, but I brought some just in case.
    When I told the clerk I wanted to get a Florida ID, she asked for my SS# then looked up my info. Once she confirmed my information, she took my photo and in less than 5 minutes I had my new ID.

Well, congrats to you.
    Use it proud.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Silver Member
    Congratulations Annie! Job well done. I would like to do what you did but I don't know who I would ever show the id to. I haven't been asked to show an id for years.

you have guts. Good for you!

I just did that in my state. But I could not go all out enfemme. They would not allow it. I just let my hair down and had some girly blouse and lip gloss on.

But I was chicken. I picked a remote location where there were only 4 people there at the time. I did not dare go to the closest loaction, where there are always about a hundred people!
    Love,

Michelia

"Genius is the recovery of childhood at will." Rimbaud