Thread: I got the Texas ID

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I got the Texas ID

So I posted a while back about having contacted the Texas DPS (some states would call it the DMV) to see if it was legal to have both, a Drivers License and a state ID. They agreed that it was perfectly legal and so I was waiting for the chance to take a day off, get dressed, and "Git 'er done!"
    The funny thing is that while I was waiting for the chance (less than a week) one or two other people from the forum beat me to it! LOL
    Well, today I got 'er done! I have a late flight to Buffalo NY not leaving Austin until 1PM, but I had to be dressed and out of the house before 7AM to sneak past my daughter. That gave me a LOT of time dressed with nothing to do, so I went to the DPS to get the ID.

First I went to the Georgetown DPS. It's a small town so I didn't think it would be much hassle. Couple of problems though. This place was TINY - there would be no privacy for quiet conversations. I got there a few minutes before they open and the parking lot was already full. Not just full, but the the other people waiting were clearly farmers, construction workers, and truck drivers (two 18 wheelers in the parking lot).
    I chickened out and drove to the Leander one instead. It was fair sized, had a reasonable crowd, and I just felt better trying it. They treated me with perfect respect, called me "ma'am" etc, and it was seriously easy. All they asked for was my Drivers License and my money.
    She did confirm that at least in Texas, the two cards are 100% different so the pic on the ID I just got will not end up on my drivers license. After she snapped my picture, I winked at her and asked her if she'd managed to make me look gorgeous. She laughed, looked at the monitor (no she didn't show it to me) and said "Yep, looks pretty good!".
    Now I just have to wait two weeks for it to arrive in the mail! :-)