Thread: The "Was it worth it?" Thread

Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy

Wink The "Was it worth it?" Thread

I'm not trying to sound negative even though that statement can be used that way. I'm just trying to get opinions from partly to fully transitioned members. I know I want to go through SRS eventually so I want all your feelings about how you felt after even some transition.

It feels like an odd question to ask, but I'm young and I don't know any better

Also I would like to know how long it has taken you to go from genetically-100% male to as much as you have become female.

edit: If I am out of line just let me know I dont like making anyone upset

*Hugs*Kisses*
    Last edited by <3 Keri Lynn <3; 04-09-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]<3 One Soul on Earth, Two Spirits in One Body <3
    [/SIZE]
    PSN: Col_Scott
    Gamertag: Speederz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GypsyKaren
    I started 3 years ago and I've gone all the way with SRS, and I can say that it's the best thing I've ever done for myself, and I am happy beyond compare.

Karen
    Last edited by GypsyKaren; 04-08-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Makncheese
    I think this a very personal question, because it depends so much on one's outlook on life.

I'm very happy with the way things turned out. I think it took me two years from one life to another, and another year or two to really be absolutely comfortable in my new life. I don't give it a second thought anymore.

As an FYI, I'm four years post op.
    Last edited by Makncheese; 04-08-2009 at 10:08 PM.

I am just starting transition and although i am always questioning, i can say I have never felt better about myself. I dont know if I will get SRS. I will never be able to afford it but our provincial government is reviewing the guidelines it has for SRS. So things could loosen up here by year's end. If so then I will definitely be pursuing it... with a passion.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

I have been living as me since October of 2006 (began meds and electrolysis in Jan. '07), after a couple years of finally accepting myself and coming out to family. SRS is still just a dream, but I am happy nonetheless.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

it's been 4 years for me "was it worth it" yes very much so. my srs is very soon .. my only regret ...i should have done this sooner

Its nice to hear the positive stories and to know that happiness is still a possibility.
    I haven't started my transition so I'm still living my miserable existence as a man , heaven knows it can only get better.
    What really makes it worse is the fact I'm slowly destroying my family ( the only good thing about my male life). So it better be worth it or just put a bullet in my head now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by robyn1114 View Post
    So it better be worth it or just put a bullet in my head now.
    Never ever talk like that girl... start talking with your family and keep talking never get angry and never give up I'll get my daughter to have a talk with you ... give yourself a chance because your worth it

I am living in a sort of an inbetween state, pretty androgynous really. But it is very obvious now to anyone who looks at me that I don't really look very mannish. Building up to transition this year.

Its nice to hear the positive stories and to know that happiness is still a possibility.
    I haven't started my transition so I'm still living my miserable existence as a man , heaven knows it can only get better.
    What really makes it worse is the fact I'm slowly destroying my family ( the only good thing about my male life). So it better be worth it or just put a bullet in my head now.
    PHP Code:
    So it better be worth it or just put a bullet in my head now
    Robin, Please, Please, Please dont think that way...
    Yes it's true it's very hard on the family, but your death would be much harder on them..So hold on girl, you'll just have to trust me, and you will make it through this..It just takes one step at a time..

I mentioned the S word to my daughter by mistake last nite & she panicked, she may not be thrilled about the idea of seeing her dad turn into a woman, but said to lose me for good would be much, much worse for her, so in the end, my girls just want to see me happy, no matter what that takes, because they love me so much no matter what I am..

To fill you in on last night, the S word came into our conversation when she asked me if I was sure that changing my gender is the only cure, and I told her for me it is, because I cant keep living like this anymore, it's just too painful for me to continue living as a man now, and this is what many others need to do too in order to correct it, because the only other way I know of to make it go away is to end their life, because many feel they have no choice & resort to that.. but I dont really want to have to do that...

Later, I found out through my Ex this morning that my youngest daughter called her last night in a panic after our talk and thought I was going to kill myself, and so now my Ex told me that she just wants me to get whatever help I need & see me happy no matter what, and not die, So now my Ex is on board with me on this too, and she said both our girls & her will support me through this & our girls will love me no matter what, even as a complete woman... And fully understand to a point all the hardships both they & I will face in the future because of this..
    They just want me as a whole person and finally see me happy more than anything....
    So this was obviously a huge weight off my shoulders today, because I was so afraid of losing them.. So I'll definitely be giving them both a huge hug tonight when I see them.

God, I'm so happy now & love all of them so much for saying that...
    & yes, I've been crying all day because of it..but just tears of joy..
    [SIZE=3]Karen[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I really do have the...Right To Be Wrong.. [/SIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSTG...eature=channel [SIZE=2]and my mistakes will make me strong![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Just call out my name...and I'll come running...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxTo...eature=related just lovin classic JT again...[/SIZE]

Kerigan,
    I apologize for hijacking your thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Call me crazy but despite the relatively simple nature of the question, it's a damned intelligent one to ask. If you ask me, you would have to be insane to proceed with SRS with out asking this question of those that have gone through it.

I guess it will all come down to:

How badly you need to do it - balanced against - what you loose and gain in doing so

I'm only just about to start (in 4 weeks time) - but it's all been pretty positive so far and the future does look good. I often think it's a huge thing to undertake but at no time since I made up my mind have I thought I was making a mistake. So far I'm enjoying the ride and watching my body grow.

However I'm kind of part time now and it's only when I go full time at home and at work that the real test may come. If all goes to plan I'll go for SRS in June of next year.

Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Kerigan,
    I apologize for hijacking your thread
    Its ok *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Call me crazy but despite the relatively simple nature of the question, it's a damned intelligent one to ask. If you ask me, you would have to be insane to proceed with SRS with out asking this question of those that have gone through it.
    Thank you I wont be starting for a few years and its the question that was eating at my head

BTW, thanks for the responses so far

*Hugs*Kisses*
    [SIZE="3"]<3 One Soul on Earth, Two Spirits in One Body <3
    [/SIZE]
    PSN: Col_Scott
    Gamertag: Speederz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I thought a great deal about your post before responding. I wanted to make sure my response was worded correctly.

I have 2 friends who are TS. One has transitioned and the other is doing the RLE thingy. One who transitioned had a relatively easy time during the transition. Their life fell into place much easier. My friend who is living full time as a woman is having a much harder time. Not because she doesn't pass because she does. People at work have no idea that she is TS. Her marriage and all things related have taken their toll on her.

So to answer your question. I think for the few who can't live anymore as a man, it will be worth it in the end. Will it be easy? For most it is not. Will you get through it? Yes.

I have been living part time as a female for the last year. You need to speak with some people face to face who are TS. Then you can ask the questions that you really need to hear the answers to.
    Michelle

Was it worth it for me? .... absolutely yes !! If I could change anything, it would be transitioning much sooner in life.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Karen564 View Post
    ...I've been crying all day because of it..but just tears of joy..
    What a great family you have, Karen! When you got right down to the nitty-gritty, they came through for you. Now you've got nowhere to go but up. It may not be easy, but oh, how exciting!

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Yes, It was worth it for me. My life is so much more fulfilling. It has been 4 years since coming out, but only 2.5 since actually starting transition. I have not had srs, but I will if I ever see that much money.

My quality of life has improved so much. I am a very happy girl. I am living my life now, the life I dreamed of, and wished for as long as I remember. Of course it was worth it, having your dreams come true always is.

Amazing Member

SRS/GRS Not Necessary to Transtion

Lots of people are quite happy to transition to living as a woman and never have Gender Reassignment Surgery. It appears that they just move on with their life and do not bother posting on boards like this, as useful as this board is for people weighing dilemmas, (like me).

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerigan View Post
    I'm not trying to sound negative even though that statement can be used that way. I'm just trying to get opinions from partly to fully transitioned members. I know I want to go through SRS eventually so I want all your feelings about how you felt after even some transition.
    I have been told that I have 'transitioned' - despite not seeing it as such. All depends on one's perspective I suppose... I think *anything* we do to mitigate our situation - to quell the buzzing in our head - is worth the effort. Big steps - small steps... All are preferred over a life of longing. That said, plunging head first and eyes closed down the slope works only for a very select few and caution is only common sense in all of this.

How do I feel? Better... My 'happiness' waxes and wanes. Mine is an imperfect solution but works so long as I work at it. Ten years on, I am glad to have done what I did.

No one can tell you what is right for you, but you are wise to poll the masses - if for nothing else than peace of mind.

Regards,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]