Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dressing vs. dressing up

dressing vs. dressing up

I like to dress in women's clothing. I have been doing this since I was six, so that make's that numerical figure a little larger than I thought of my present age. Anyway my question is, is there a difference between dressing in women's clothing and dressing up like a women?

They sound the same to me. Can you say that in different words maybe?

I think the difference is in the definition of those two phrases.

Dressing in women's clothes = simply putting on female clothing, no makeup, not trying to look or act feminine, just wearing the clothes (just a man in a dress)

Dressing up like a woman = trying to emulate the appearance of a woman from the clothes to makeup and physical appearance as much as possible (a man who might actually look like a woman or close there to)

That's how I understood those two statements. The difference is clear.

Is that what you meant?

They both fall into the cd category, but the motives or perhaps goals are different. I fall in to the latter.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
    Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?

I think your the bravest one of all of us cuz you do some thing most of us would not do. I applaud you Intertwined . And yes the Cd's the two you stated are different.I go out dressed as a woman and want people to treat me as a women. If I just dressed in a skirt heal etc, I would be treated as a man. SO we are different but like seated above still in the CD family.

HUGGS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

I would think so.
    Dressing in women's clothes sounds just how you say it. When I think of those words, basically, I just picture a man in a dress.

On the other hand, when I think of "dressing up like a woman" I picture someone who dolls up to the nines and who conducts and presents herself appropriately as a woman.

That just how I see it.

Hugs!
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    [SIZE=4]Nicely put on the replies, all seem to have the idea right..if that is what the questions are asking.. [/SIZE]
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Depends on one's viewpoint really.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

When I 'dress up', it's for a special occasion?

Sounds like different uses of language, to me - perhaps the OP might say what her definitions are?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Intertwined;1681241]Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?
    [QUOTE]

I with you, maybe a little softer.
    I am me in a skirt. I do not try to look like a female.
    I like dressing in things that are feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle Hermosa View Post
    I think the difference is in the definition of those two phrases.

Dressing in women's clothes = simply putting on female clothing, no makeup, not trying to look or act feminine, just wearing the clothes (just a man in a dress)

Dressing up like a woman = trying to emulate the appearance of a woman from the clothes to makeup and physical appearance as much as possible (a man who might actually look like a woman or close there to)

That's how I understood those two statements. The difference is clear.

Is that what you meant?

They both fall into the cd category, but the motives or perhaps goals are different. I fall in to the latter.
    That's how I interpret it as well.

I think it is the degree. Partially dressing versus complete dressing

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

I like Gabrielle's response as there are two or more ways to look at CDing. I personally like the latter, dressing to look like a woman. To each ther own.

Keli

To me there is a difference.

Dressing up - is simply trying on women's clothes.

Dressing like a woman - is making oneself to appear to be a woman.

Maybe I am wrong on how I view it, but I believe they are totally different.

Aspiring Member
    The longer I am at this the emphasis is less on the destination than it is on the getting there. The long & short of it is, I enjoying being feminine so I dress to be that & the clothing amounts to an accessory after the fact. I feel womanly so I dress to express that reality, not to hide anything else.

My understanding, as a linguist, is the same as Taylermade's.

It probably stems from the "dress up" box in kindergartens.

But the beauty of the English language lies in it's subtleties and nuances of meaning, which allows for other interpretations to be equally valid.

PS - If dressing up means putting on women's clothes, does dolling up mean going the whole hog - make up, wig etc?

Aspiring Member
    When I dress I like to look like a woman and to present myself as one.

I wouldn't wear women's clothes unless I was getting "dolled up." I consider myself more along the lines of an actor who goes to wardrobe and makeup to prepare for a role. The role just happens to be a woman. Well, a somewhat naughty woman.

I used to just dress in womens clothing but then I discovered MAKEUP!!! Crossdressing hasn't been the same since!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gold Member
    Right now I'm all dressed up you know the works, but there are times when a jean skirt and t-shirt and no make up feeds the need.

Its just playing about with words , it`s what it means to you that is important
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I understand what the OP is trying to get at. I CD to express externally the feminine persona within. So I don't feel dressed unless I am head-to-toe female, have a wig on and just a little make-up (maybe only lipstick if I am "dressing-down"). I generally wear perfume when dressed also.
    Just pulling on a dress, or underdressing, is "wearing women's clothes" but doesn't achieve anything as far as I am concerned.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Saturday daytime I'll dress, maybe in jeans and a t-shirt, if its hot maybe a mini-skirt. Saturday night I'll dress-up, more make-up, special outfit, maybe stockings and suspenders, more jewelry. Aren't I just like any other girl?
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

parkbench just outside hells gate near enuf to airport to take off...finally the parkbench has wings
    Quote Originally Posted by joanne f View Post
    Its just playing about with words , it`s what it means to you that is important
    ... well said joanne im cracking up here and clayfish is reading over my shoulder, I have read the thread, and see everyone has different thoughts and Ideas on how one sees themselves... is it also dependant on what one sees in the mirror when they look...and to what they see back....
    is it (The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl i would like to be)

clayfish tells me hes not trying to look like a woman.... just lerves wearing womans clothing,because of the feeling of certain fabrics....
    but as he say "quote..

clayfish My understanding, as a linguist, is the same as Taylermade's.

It probably stems from the "dress up" box in kindergartens.

But the beauty of the English language lies in it's subtleties and nuances of meaning, which allows for other interpretations to be equally valid. "

Last edited by shesadvl; 04-11-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am definitely with Intertwined. Since my dear wife passed away, leaving me without her makeup skills, I just dress in feminine clothing and go out as a man in a skirt! I don't dress to be a woman! I dress because I like to look that way!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!