Thread: Went to class as ME

Went to class as ME

I just wanted to share this with you girls.

I am a full time student and I attend the classes in butch mode. Well this past week I went to speech class as me for my final speech, it was an "informative/visual aide speech". Most times I try to keep the two identities separate, less confusion for people I run into. I do plan to go full time soon.

I didn't tell anyone about this, I did mention to the instructor I would be a few minutes late and since I was the first to speak that day this would give everyone time to get to class and for her to make some announcements.

She did not mention me by my butch name, she introduced me as Sandra. When I got up to the front and turned around there were some giggles and snickers, until I began my speech. I mentioned what I am, how this is not a choice, some history about myself and TG and how things get misinterpreted. The class was very quite during the speech. I answered a couple of questions and after class several people came up and congratulated me on my speech and some shared about someone they knew to be gay; I did let them know that we are not all gay and asked them in our case what is gay.

The instructor stated that I could come to class for the remainder of the semester as Sandra and yes I am going as me. She stated that I could have started at the very beginning as me and would not thought much about it. I wonder if the people around here are more incline to let us be ourselves?

I think people will let us be ourselves as long as we are upfront about who we are. I did get the bathroom question and I explained that I try and go where I know it's okay to go and in the case I just have to go I go to the ladies room. I did explain about the safety concerns and which would be safer for me to go in.

I had a good experience and I know there will be more questions.

HUGS Sandra

I think college is more open to this type of experience.. I just want to thank you for this entry, it shows the younger kids might just be able to accept who you are no matter what clothes you choose to wear...
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Gold Member
    Wow...great experience Sandra. I'm really glad it turned so well. You're breaking new ground. Keep it up sweety.

Great...thanks for sharing your personal milestone

I can't think of a safer and more understanding environment than a university. This is where people supposedly go to learn about the world, with open minds, and prepared to encounter new things. In this day and age, most people at a University want to be perceived as intelligent and progressive, and so would not be likely to give you hell in front of their peers.
    I travel a lot across the US, and the most friendly and fun places to hang out are around the universities. :-)
    Congrats on the courage - that must have taken quite a lot of guts!

Wow good on ya. I've always thought about doing this myself, just for one day for fun, but not really sure how it would work out and all.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    That's awesome!

Sandra,
    This is so heart warming and couragious of you. I have worked at a university for over 25yrs and yes they are more open to different life styles and cultures. Congradulations

Huggs Keli

Way COOL!!!

Lori Anne

Congratulations Sandra
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

I congratulate you on your coming out to your class, I know the feeling that you experiencing, yeah you will get the usual snickering, but in the end after you have presented your self well, peaple are understanding and see it from a different point of view, because when you get up in front a college or university class and give your presentation about transgenderism, (which I have done) you erase the stereotype that we are a bunch of freaks. Peaple finally see that we are normal humans going about our daily lives, and that the fact we prefer to dress as a woman has nothing to do with our sexuality.

had to of taken a lot of guts. Congrats
    Hugs
    Jessica

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thanks for being a steward of the cause I commend you for your gutsy move.

Wow! that took a lot of guts! I don't think I could ever do that!
    Red Heels!

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Its a good thing you did not start the semester as Sandra. By doing what you did, you had a greater impact on those that knew you as "Butch" and opened more eyes to who we are. Bravo on you choice!
    Drumming, My other hobby

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Awesome! Our TG group did a presentation at a human sexuality class at local university last year and I couldn't believe the level of interest. OK, when all is said and done it was a human sexuality class we were presenting to, but all of the other students that we got to meet were also very cool people and very accepting too. I agree universities seem great environments to spend your time in if you are TG.

I think you showed a lot of courage in doing this and I think you are going to enjoy your studies much more now that you can be Sandra in class
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I am, hopfully, starting back to school here in a couple of weeks. After reading you post I was thinking, " If only I had the nerve to venture outside of the house I could go to school as my female self. wouldn't that be great. But alas I am but a chicken.
    By the way congradulations on your speach and coming out to your classmates, cool, very cool. Hugs TJ Tresa.

Here's what would have happened if that would have been me.. first I would have realized what a huge mistake it would be unless I had a few to drink.. and then I would have shown up with slurred speech.. actually what I would do now is shown up.. made sure I was primped and proper walked to the door and

run away... sorry just can't do it.. thanks again for your post.. I'll be brave next semester...
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

I think that young adults--not teenage girls--and college students tend to be very accepting and even supportive if we are straight-forward with them. I hope so since I plan to test my thoughts on this in the near future.
    warmly, Linnea

Wow, that must've been epic. Kudos to you!

way to go sandra now keep up and let themknow who we really are

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    Excellent job. I started as a boy during my fulltime undergrad and then started hormones and joined an all female sorority by my junior year. My favorite memory included selecting transgenderism as my topic for public speaking and going to class occasionally as female to get reactions from an otherwise captive audience. I got an A.

Keep up the good work, you'll get there eventually.

Congrad's

Way to go Sandra. Can't wait til this weekend to hear all about it!

Thanks for representing us girls

Hi Sandra, thank you so much for the post. I think that is really cool and gutsy. You are a first class girl!
    The University is such a great environment to provide leadership in this way. You have done a great service for us sissies and for yourself. You are an inspiration, am I next?
    Ta Ta
    Juliet