Thread: Coming out to more friendly acceptance..

Coming out to more friendly acceptance..

I thought some folks would appreciate to hear about a recent 'coming out' to a co-worker yesterday.. it was very ad-hoc, but just goes to show that there are plenty of accepting people out there.

I had a friendly coworker stop by my office door yesterday, and ask me how my weekend was. Backfill for this story is that she's a wonderful middle-aged woman, very the been-there-done-that type, traveled 'round the world and such, we've talked Celtic and pagan beliefs before, and has been been an easy-going person to talk to.. we talk a lot, about family stuff, kids, you name it. Well.. I bet you can guess where this is going. I mentioned this and that, and that I was in NoHo for the Pride March / event. She seemed to light up at that, and asked how it was and such. After noting it was a great time, I just let it go that I was actually IN the march as much as I was there FOR the march.. And she just kinda looked at me and smiled. After some more words were exchanged, she sat down at my desk and started telling me this TG story/joke: (Of which I'm sure you've heard similar)

She knows this TG girl, a very flashy dresser (Very Queen-esque), who wanders about the streets doing this and that in the Boston area, and is known by many. She's a very friendly sort. Passes by a particular Fire Station quite a bit and is very flamboyant and such. The Fire chief routinely sees her walking by and they stop and chat for a time and so on. Well, one day, a regional Supervisor of the Fire chiefs (I don't know that they're called) stops by to talk to that local chief.. and wouldn't you know it, the TG girl happens to wander by.. calling out to the Chief by name, waving from across the way and sauntering over. The Supervisor, in looking at this fairly well-dressed / overdressed lady, just shakes his head and generally motions over towards her as she's approaching and says: 'That is SUCH a travesty!' To which the Chief looks at him, and starts to form a scowl on his face and says 'Excuse me?' The Supervisor looks at him, and then points over to the girl, and says: 'Doesn't she KNOW?? It should be against the law to wear white shoes this time of the season!'

Anyway, I digress, she also noted that she does some events with another MtF TG as well! I was so relieved, though the reason I brought it up in the first place was because she is THE ONLY person I've felt, in my work, that would be almost 'automatically tolerant' if you will. At least my instincts were on par. She was as understanding and friendly about it as one could hope, told me not to worry, and that if I needed a shoulder to cry on to stop by her desk. Oh.. and that and my secret's safe with her - though she admitted to noticing the 'little things' I've been letting float to the surface lately.. hair, nails, other things about jewelry and such... so she wasn't surprised I came out to her at all. As she said.. 'I was beginning to wonder...'

Some time after that, I walked up to her desk and just lightly confirmed that I was incredibly nervous telling her, and that it did worry me afterwards, though she told me not to. She didn't skip a beat and started asking me if I had started hormones yet, and what I was going to do about my beard.. *deep sigh of relief* After another 5 minutes I wandered back to my desk much more relaxed and happy. YAY! I have an ally at work!

Hi Angel Marie,

I'm happy to hear you were able to confide in a co-worker and ultimately feel good about it, and even better to be accepted for who you are. I think your experience validates what many of us might experience if we were to give others a chance to know the feminine side of ourselves. I think part of gaining greater self acceptance is being able to share who we are with those close to us, as long as we have a gut feeling that they are open minded. It won't always go the way we plan but I think it will get easier with time. Thanks for sharing.
    Eve

Do something special for yourself today. You deserve it!

Angel,
    I did the same and we get along so wonderfully, in fact we are getting together over lunch soon and discuss the world, LOL. This woman would be my choice in a SO but she happens to be married to a great guy, oh well. Have fun with you friend and hope things go well.

Keli

I love a story with a happy ending. Im very happy for you, It must be a wonderful feeling to know that you can now share this part of your life with someone at work. Thanks for sharing.

Smile co worker

i love this i did the exact same thing ten months ago scary at the time but has been awsom ever since she helps me witheverything she even helped me buy breast forms and two wiggs cant wait thy schould be here today or tommorow like waiting for christmas morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are lucky to have a co-worker who is accepting and willing to lend an ear when needed. congradulations, You go Girl.

It is so satifying to have an ally at work. You never know when your going to need someone to talk to and a little grin or winkle in the eye is all the reassurance needed to improve/make a so-so day into a great day. You go girl.

Hugs,
    Alice

Great story

I just have to share my thoughts this morning with everybody.
    I love being a crossdresser. I was just outside this morning enjoying a cup of coffee and listening to the birds and watching the sunrise.
    I felt so great and alot of it was because I felt pretty and loved the little sundress I had on. It felt like I was complete and the feeling of my feminality was really a comfort.
    I know now that I always will be a crossdress and that's great. I don't fight it anymore. The fight has always been a losing battle anyway.
    I don't worry anymore about my wife coming home and asking about her clothes being misplaced or her wondering how the house smells like nail polish remover.
    Telling her about my true feelings about myself was the best thing I could have ever done. It's so wonderful to be able to go outside and walk around in the daylight in my private backyard and enjoy feeling complete with out the fear of being seen or made fun of.
    Before I was confinded to the bedroom and locked doors and fear of hearing someone at the door. I still have fears of getting caught but the part of my life and the need to get out and enjoy the sunlight and outside pushes the courage in me to dare.
    This site has helped me to realize that I am not alone as a crossdresser. I have made progress with leaps and bounds. I would'nt change the crossdresser in me for the world. I have a different view of the cruel world now. I'm a better person thanks to being able to admit that I'm a crossdresser and I have views from both sexes.
    Everybody has a little of both sexes within them. Like me some will not admitt it for fear of being considered weak of a sissy. Well no more, I am proud of being a crossdresser and the intelligence that comes with it.
    To be able to look at things with another perspective. To know that within my soul I am a man and woman. The universe just came together for me and my life is complete.
    Last edited by LisaMichaels; 05-08-2009 at 05:00 AM.

This person has already been my ear to turn about all my family issues anyway, she knows piles about myself, my son, and has just been an all-around great person to everyone at the office in general. I don't believe I'd find myself out shopping with her, though I was invited some time back to go to a yoga class with her.. which now, I'm feeling, might actually be a wonderful thing to set up. With all the prejudice in the world today about seemingly every little thing, its certainly a great thing to know there's a few people out there that will stand beside you.