Thread: Changing clothing styles for CD's!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar

Changing clothing styles for CD's!

Moderator, please leave this in the Male to Female section, where more people will read it!

As a Senior age CD, I am probably one of the older CD's on this Forum. I just turned 77 yesterday.

As I was dressing to go out to dinner this evening, I was thinking about how much things have changed since I started dressing over 60 years ago. You younger ladies don't how much better your clothing choices are now than what was available back then.

The fabrics are so much nicer, in all types of clothing, including lingerie. Rayon panties were the best I could get back then. Now I wear silk panties!! My early bras were cotton, whereas now they are Nylon satin or microfiber. Soft and silky!!

Of course, my skirts and dresses came either well below my knees or down to my ankles. That was the only way they were made! And the available tops were equally modest! Times have sure changed, and thank God they have!! I love my above the knee skirts (I am wearing one as I write this!!) and my tight tops that show off my cleavage!! I only wish I had some pictures to show you ladies what I used to wear! But you can google clothing in the 40's and 50's to get an idea. It was stylish then, but I prefer todays styles and fabrics. The only thing that is still pretty much the same as it was then is the sizes! Clothing manufacturers cannot seem to agree on what constitutes a certain size. I usually wear a size 16, but some 16's are either too tight or way too loose. In some brands I can wear a size 14! In panties, I wear anything from size 6 to a size 8 depending on the brand, and how tight I want them to fit.

Any of the rest of you ladies have memories like this? I know there are some older CD's on the Forum, I just don't know how old!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

You've got 20 on me but I started at 7 so I've been dressing for over 5 decade.. That right there just depressed the hell out of me but anyway.... Ohh yeah!! Satin dresses and frillie panties and industrial strength bras and girdles!! And on one wore JEANS!!!!

They were all great but tell ya I reall enjoy todays fashion!! Guess if you want to emulate women then you have to change with them and the times.. Except the jeans part.. I maybe be a modern girl but I have to take a stand on something!! Lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    You've got 20 on me but I started at 7 so I've been dressing for over 5 decade.. That right there just depressed the hell out of me but anyway.... Ohh yeah!! Satin dresses and frillie panties and industrial strength bras and girdles!! And on one wore JEANS!!!!

They were all great but tell ya I reall enjoy todays fashion!! Guess if you want to emulate women then you have to change with them and the times.. Except the jeans part.. I maybe be a modern girl but I have to take a stand on something!! Lol
    I was going to mention jeans, but didn't want to get you upset, Karren! BTW, I also started at age 7! But I am really only 37, at least that is what I tell my 48 year old son and my 52 year old daughter!
    Last edited by sissystephanie; 05-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Stephanie

Damn!! I thouht I was catching up to you!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I remember my first really nice dress, which wasn't a hand-me-down from my older sister. I was in the Navy, stationed in Frisco, and ordered it by phone from Fredericks of Hollywood. It was green satin below the knee with a bouffant underskirt and a lot of lace trim. I had it shipped to a hotel I was going to stay in for a few days. I wore that dress part of each day I was there, mostly in my room! Did venture out into the hallway several times. Luckily, I never got caught! Certainly would have ended my short Navy career! (4 years total) That is one of my fond memories of clothing of that era! Loved that dress! I still had it when I got married, (it had been in storage for years) but I could no longer fit into it!
    Stephanie

Silver Member
    While I dressed as a teen in the 50s, I had the means to dress and buy clothes in the early 60s. While I like todays clothes I had some great outfits then. Before 1960 clothes were still recovering from the depression and wars. The 60s brought a lot of changes. Nylon panties instead of Rayon, long legged panty girdles, and many great new fabrics. Hems rose and slips were in bloom. I still have a slip from then and several from the early 70s.

There is really no argument that today's clothes are easier to care for and richer in fabric feel and looks for the price. I have a very expensive dress from the 20s (flapper) that is on par with many dresses from today. I've had clothes from several decades that were classics. Let's face it a wool skirt with taffeta lining is about the same today.

Steffanie, happy birthday, your post suggests that styles and materials have changed. Yehhhhh, but with everything it makes dressing so much more fun. I admire your life and insite that many of us younger girls have not experianced. The one thing I have to offer is, I think fashion has been dealt a disservice beacause the styles of the early 1900s were so much more feminine. Have a wonderful day and huggs to my more mature sister.

Keli

Why would we move it

I remember staying at my grandparents for weekends and my gran used to get dressed in the lounge, where it was warm and I used to wonder why she put so many layers of clothing on. First was her cotton white full bra, then these girdle knicker things (I have no idea what you call them), then a full girdle, then a full slip... I mean, she was really slim in the first place, I don't even know why she wore them... She did this what seems like a ritual, until she passed...

As for jeans... don't get me started on those horrible things I swear, men/boys do not know what belts are... and walk with them hanging so far down their arse, you can see ALL of their underwear lol!!
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Way back in the fifties (before my re-birth) there were industrail strenght everything, corsets were essential for even the slimmest figure. We seemed to make a lot of our own but even so the patterns available followed the current fashion and the style of material was very limited. It was always possible to trim a few inches off the skirt but out in public this would label you as a tart.

Happy days are here.
    Ali Cats Creameries

Home is where the cream is.
    I was born into a life of cream.
    Cream is Forever.

Hi Stephanie I'm 61 and remember the things from back then. And we dress a lot nicer now.
    Angie

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Seems to me that there were a LOT more dresses available in times past. I think that if I could revisit any era as my adult self, I'd go back to the early 70s. Its a bit of 'If I knew then what I know now' -- but I'd be in my glory!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and started dressing in 1972. Ladies still wore nice clothes to work, and it was not at all odd to see a woman wearing a nice dress or a skirt. The year I started junior high school was the first year that they relaxed the dress code to allow girls to wear pants to school. Imagine that today! I had some kind of subliminal attraction to pretty dresses even then, so it's not a big surprise that I eventually started wearing them myself. After I started dressing, women's clothing went through this very frilly, feminine stage that lasted until the late 80s, and I'm still most attracted to the styles of that time. Since then, we've become a T-shirt society with relaxed and casual styles. We definitely lost something when we traded style and flair for personal comfort and convenience.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

The 60' were a middle ground. June Clever was leaving, and the femm fashions went casual. I also miss the times, like Marla when ladies dressed like they wanted to be pretty. Kimberly is the only one sporting lady like appearance on airplanes today. This time of year, even the preist, requests the females to avoid tube tops and cut offs. Oh shit, does this mean Nancy Pielosi will become our fashion icon, sure can't be Hillary.

Gold Member
    I didn't drop out of the womb until 1974 so I was not around in the 40's or 50's, but if clothes covered a lot more at least it would have been easier to hide things. Todays clothes pretty much reveal what most of us, GM or GG, just don't have.

About fabrics - new technologies gave way to more synthetic threads. WW2 had a lot to do with why nylon was invented, silk was too expensive.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

GG Clothing Memories

I was born in 1947. It seems that each decade had pretty styles, and a few that I thought were hideous. I loved the world war 2 dresses, hats, and coats. They had a great tailored, (but feminine) look. I collect such clothing to this day. The "wrap around" house dresses could be frumpy, or feminine. I did have a gripe about the overly starched clothing. Some of the cottons wrinkled horribly.

The pin up girl clothing was cute. Peasant blouses, and dirndl skirts were commonly seen. The 1950's had a lot of variety. You could look like June (so wholesome and the girl next door) Allyson in a puffed sleeve dress with a rounded collar buttoned all the way to the top, or a vamp in your boat necked stretchy top, capris, with ballerina flats. (not to leave out cat eye rhinestone eyeglasses and a cigarette holder). The fancy gowns from the 50's were very princess like.

The 60's were a bit boxy, and square/plain cut until the hippies, and Carnaby street wandered in. CD'ers had to meet in secret back then. (I saw one "transvestite" who wandered into a diner) The 70's had some of the most horrendous synthetics, and they deteriorated badly. The 80's I think I slept through, because I don't recall any specific style, but the gargantuan shoulder pads, Farrah hair, and also the beginning of the ugly look. ( some people just thought it was cool to dress a sloppily as possible). The seamstress cd'ers could make their own garments/have them made when the fashion industry tailored somewhat to "ugly" and "sloppy". I recall teen girls wearing girdles on the outside of their jeans. That was tacky.

Aspiring Member
    "73" here, not birth year, but age. I can remember poodle skirts, all my female family wore girdles, don't know why, none had big rumps or loose rumps. My mom was thin as a rail and my sisters were shapely with nice legs, no tops. Not coming from a well to do environment, and catholic school uniforms, so not a lot of fashionable clothes laying around my house. But at all social activities, all women dressed in their best dresses, today it is usually just jeans and tees. Nylons just coming out at the end of WWII caused a reveloution in underwear. Nylon panties, nylon slips, half slips and camisoles, although camisoles weren't big until some years later. I miss those days.

Gee, I remember the days when ladies dressed up just to go down town just to go shopping on a Saturday. My mother and my aunts did and went on the assumption every woman did. It stayed that way until about the mid 60s and the mini skirt era. But the dresses are nicer now and more colors than before in the larger sizes. Used to any thing size 14 and above was kind of ugly. I'm big boned and a 18 it was hard to find anything like I'm able to do now it's more like the rule for some of us. Thanks for that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    Sissystephanie
    Last edited by Jannette H; 05-09-2009 at 02:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

65 years here, and I too started around 6 or 7 years old. The fifties where great, full skirts and all those slips, garter belts and hose, the 60's Minni's long skirts and color, lots of color! The 70's, the polyester pant suit, (oops lets forget them). The 80's, funny I don't remember much about the style of the 80's, did they have any? But I love the last few years, delicate fabrics in very feminine prints, flirtty skirts, but the best of times are the styles yet to be found, the favorite thing, the last thing bought, to be replaced by the next thing bought!
    Tina

I am....just going to shut-up
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    I am....just going to shut-up
    Just because I'm old enough to be your mother... lol...

Well I'm only 41 but because I did a lot of burlesque style portraiture *cough* I've worn an awful lot of vintage corsetry and lingerie. My spin on the old and the new is that the new is a lot more 'forgiving'. Lycra has made all the difference in whatever you wear now so you feel less trussed, pinched, and enveloped than back then and more snuggled I guess I'd call the sensation.

I for one am certainly not complaining... It's always good to have a bit of stretch... lol

Lisa x
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]