Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking hormones without loosing sexual function?

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I consider myself perhaps 65% girl, 35% guy... and I know I want to be of feminine body to match my mind... but I do want my penis to continue to be able to satisfy my partner.
    I know you've since retracted this statement, but I don't think it's so bad. I always wanted to be a girl, but I never felt 100% girly. I played with Legos, not Barbie dolls. We are not crossdressers who have the "my panties are frillier than yours" attitude of constantly trying to outdo each other's pseudo-femininity (not that all crossdressers have that attitude, either).

About hormones, everybody is different. I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from. At first you wanted to still get erections. But now that your wife is OK with it would you prefer not to have erections? Many people will tell you that testosterone blockers keep you from getting erections, but it's largely psychological and everybody reacts differently. There are TS girls who get no erections who aren't on any hormones or t-blockers yet. There are TS girls on huge doses of t-blockers who still get erections. There are TS girls who have had orchiectomies and take estrogen and still get erections. If you really want to talk about erections PM me, but I'm going to stop for now. Anyway, all hormones are like that -- especially progesterone. Some people never get any feminine curves. Some get them from estrogen, some don't. Some get them when they add progesterone. But the bottom line is nobody can tell you what amount of which drugs (if any) will make you grow breasts, will atrophy your testicles, will make you unable to sustain an erection, will put you in a better mood, will put you in a worse mood, will give you a pulmonary embolism, etc... Well, actually, a doctor can run tests to tell you if you're at much risk for blood clots...

Estrogen can feminize you without taking t-blockers. That's why steroid abusers can get gynecomastia. Some of your T naturally converts to E, and if you have twice the normal male amount of T you'll have twice the E, too. Many people talk about how testosterone blocks estrogen receptors or destroys estrogen but this is at least to some degree unfounded.

As someone who used to do 300 lb reps on the bench (because that was all the weight that came with the set), though, I will tell you that you'll need all the help you can get as far as that linebacker look, and testosterone blockers are a good place to start. They make me feel kinda lethargic, though, so I don't take as much as I should.

If you're not taking a high dose of a testosterone blocker you do need to at least take a DHT blocker. About 1/3 of your testosterone converts to DHT, and DHT is what makes you bald, what increases your body hair, what causes an enlarged prostate. Really, DHT causes most of the bad things. If you block DHT, though, you actually increase free testosterone, so again you'll have that linebacker problem to some degree. But if you're 23 and have good hair you should get on a DHT blocker (like Propecia) regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    were talking about absolutes here your either a boy or a girl not both....
    I don't know. This is probably just an argument of semantics. But I certainly consider it more of a spectrum over which nobody is really 100% male or female mentally. I would greatly prefer to have been born a girl. I would prefer to be called "she." I do acknowledge that I have several masculine traits, though, and there are a few which I don't even resent.

I'll put it this way, I feel at peace when I'm dressed, and I want my whole body to be more female, not just breasts. Having only breast implants would look so stupid on me, I'd be a sideshow attraction..
    Well, we all feel like sideshow attractions sometimes. That's what the therapy's for.

...With that out of the way, could someone please steer me towards an answer? While waiting on a reply here I cruised the archives here and found a few cases where the TG person in question was taking E and low dose AA's and still had function after a couple years. Again, it's not a requirement for me to function sexually, but I'd prefer to keep it for the time being. Would an orchiectomy be an option?
    I know a TS woman who is with an F2M guy. Both of them have been on HRT for many years, but neither have had SRS. Both function normally, and the girl takes ... well ... we're not supposed to discuss dosages, but she takes a very high (yet fairly typical) amount of Spiro and a fairly high amount of oral estradiol. But maybe she just isn't receptive to the hormones, because she desperately needed (and got) implants. Again, everybody is different. There are people who only fooled around with estrogen for a little bit and permanently lost function.

You'll be fine. You don't need to apologize so much. And don't worry so much about 10 years from now. But get on a DHT blocker so you can see if any of that back hair goes away. And start saving up for that laser hair removal because you'll definitely need it on your face and chest. You don't really want to start growing boobs while you're still shaving your cleavage, do you? Trust me it's not pretty.

Coda...

Talking

...Zenith: I'm not influenced by any particular maker, I design based on what the client needs/wants. I've made all kinds of fixed blades and can do a lot of different stuff, but I do tend to make knives with curved, ergonomic handles and blades that have clean lines. I have taken many ideas from a lot of other makers, but I never say "I like that and want to copy it exactly."
    Hi Rosie.

You don't have to be a girly girl in all things to be female...like I posted before...there are female fighter pilots, race car drivers, and yes knife makers...(Audra Draper)...

Ahhhh you take after Ken Onion, Tom Mayo, Sal and Eric Glesser...with the ergonomic handles...function over form...

I wasn't saying you followed anyone exactly...just trying to get an idea of what your work looks like......can you make me a pink tanto???

Thank you for all the continued help :] ..I'm unemployed but do have some small income. It'll be slow going I know. I realize reading from the first post to here I seem bi-polar, lol... It's not that I don't want erections, just that I don't need them as much as I thought, to please my girlfriend (not married yet) ..so if I take the hormones and lose it it won't upset me.

I think when I save a good bit of money, I will talk to a doctor about it. Could someone give me some idea of what things like the blood testing that goes on during treatment costs?
    I think if I could lose a little mass in my shoulders/arms and get some small breast development I'd be content. I have a girly butt to begin with.
    As far as being seen as female, and the changes being permanent.. I sure hope so I'm self-employed (just not selling any knives yet), so I don't have to worry about losing my job.

Oh, and absolutely, Zenith. I'm somewhat of a newbie so I'd make it for just my cost. Can you pm me? (If you were just playing around that's cool too ) I've been wanting to make a knife to carry for protection while I'm out en femme, myself :]

So what's up with Georgia? Is there something in the water? Was there a rash of alien abductions between 1970 and 1986?

Coda...

Smile

Hi Rosie.

My doc submits the blood work so at least some is paid. Since you are self employed, I will see if the total cost is on the bill and get back to you.

Here is a pink knife the "Izula" that I carry...more utility than self-defense...I will PM you on the knife stuff...just wanting you to feel welcome...
    Attached Images Attached Images

prisioner behind flesh JennyTG24's Avatar
    hiya rosie, i dont mean to be rude, but due to my finacial situation it is dificult for me to start taking hormones, because i need to work to get the money for my sex change, so i can feel better about myself, i hate having this thing between my legs and when i was younger i did try to cut it off, because i strongly feel that i shouldnt be the way i am. You asking that question says to me that deep in your mind you are still unshore about what you want. otherwise you wouldnt of asked.

I really do think you need to have a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself the question again, Do i want to transition really or not?
    JennyxXx

Since this is already totally off-topic...

I carry a 3.9" folder 99% of the time (an old CRKT M16) and a Glock 26 about 1% of the time (which I do have a permit for).

Knife laws are pretty crazy and extremely contradictory from state to state ... and from city to city ... and from government building to government building. But in the end legal precedent concerning knives is very similar to gun laws. The only excuse you have for pulling out a deadly weapon is if someone is threatening your life (or severe bodily harm), and you need to kill them to protect yourself because for some reason running away isn't an option.

The important thing to realize is that those conditions are usually only met when someone is about to shoot you so a knife really isn't going to help. The whole concept of carrying a knife for defense is pretty questionable. The written law in many places simply considers it an illegal deadly weapon. There are many more gun-specific laws which say when you can use a gun. So in the end knives are actually "more illegal" than guns.

Coda...

Exclamation

Raquel you are doing it again...the mods are going to pull all of our posts...to respond to you...a knife is a tool and I use it on a daily basis...what a knife can do is give you a quick way to make someone much stronger let go (like in a surprise sexual assault) and then you can get away...a gun isn't much use up close...there is an entire series of knives from TDI that are a huge hit with LEO's, a large percentage of them that are shot in the line of duty are shot with their own weapon during a struggle...the TDI knives are a quick way to make the assailant let got fast...

A knife is not to be shown in an encounter and only readied if prepared to be used...

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail...uctNumber=1480

True... GA has somewhat lax carry laws, though. The law does change depending on which cop you ask, though. The length is either 4" or 3" or "If the cop lays the blade across his palm and it's longer..." I have a .38 in my glove box for if I thought I was going to get in a life or death struggle. The knife is if I can't get to that and something comes up anyway... a better chance than with just my hands. I do want to get some small slim gun for carry, though.

Zenith: When you said pink knife I thought you meant the handle. I can't actually do any colored coatings or anodizing or anything <_<;
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 05-13-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Raquel you are doing it again...the mods are going to pull all of our posts...
    I'm not yelling at anybody, and I'm not criticizing either of you. You turned a thread about erections into a thread about knives, though, and I don't see a sign that says you're the only one who can post after you derail a thread. I do see that you said you carry a knife for "more utility than self-defense," but I was simply pointing out that carrying a knife for defense is basically illegal in most states and a bad idea in many situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    ...what a knife can do is give you a quick way to make someone much stronger let go (like in a surprise sexual assault) and then you can get away...
    I'm not sure how you think a knife can get you away from a surprise assault where a much stronger person has a hold on you (unless you already have the knife in your hand before you were surprised -- which is illegal), but there's no need to get into that. Since you started talking about knives I just wanted to mention the law for the benefit of others. After all, that's what a forum is for -- so everybody can get information. I'm sure the three of us already have taken a few self defense classes and mostly understand the legal ramifications.

I apologize if it sounded more like I was telling either of you it was dumb for you to carry knives. Like I said, I carry around a pretty big knife myself... but I'm going to have to get that pink DuraCoat on my gun before I get a matching pink knife

http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoa...#PINK GUNS!!!!

Coda...
    Raquel...I talked about knives in the context of an enthusiast speaking to another enthusiast to make her feel welcome. I did not begin talking self-defense until you did.

There are plenty of very strong, quiet men who have "danced with the bear" that would take issue with your statements...I can send you their names...most are CQC instructors for the Navy Seals/Special Forces, etc...

I read an account by a LEO, basically an enraged large man accosted a smaller weaker man in a bar. The smaller man tried to retreat and do the right thing. He had his work knife. Essentially the larger man kept hitting him and he used the knife to slice tendons/nerves until the larger man could not continue. Essentially he would have been beaten to death had he not acted. A knife is a lousy offensive weapon, but a good last-ditch defensive one. I will not post on this thread anything else about knives. I will PM the original poster. If you want to debate me Raquel, take it to PM...

*Edit* I will not be raped or beaten or murdered because of who I am without a fight...
    Last edited by Zenith; 05-13-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: One more comment...

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar

not an ala' cart menu

I'm 23,

I consider myself perhaps 65% girl, 35% guy... and I know I want to be of feminine body to match my mind... but I do want my penis to continue to be able to satisfy my partner.

Also, over and over I see transgender info sources mention that you can bump down to a low dose of estrogen after SRS...

but, continuing with my situation of not wanting that.. what do I do? If I take hormones for a while, get results, and then stop taking them to save my penis' function, in later years will I still get male pattern baldness, and start to grow darker/thicker hair back on my body?

Thanks for the help :]

-Rosie
    Hi, you are young - so you have plenty of time to think and consider what to do. As others have said, there are no guarrentees about what will happen if you start hormones. There are a host of combinations of hormones that you could take - each with different possible outcomes. You will find there are not pat answers, partially because there is little research and partially because each body reacts differently. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have functional male parts while transitioning, the problem is that it is unlikely. At some point your T production will be very low and that often has an effect of stopping erections. Not always ... again, each person has a different reaction to all this. As well, just because you stop taking the hormones, there is nothing that says you're going to get male functions back.

After SRS, the bump down in hormones is because you do not need as much. Remember, part of SRS is to be castrated. Hence the Anti-A's are no longer needed and the amount of estrogen can be much less. After SRS you are going to be taking some estrogen for the rest of your life ( for general health you need either estrogen or testosterone ).

There is no way to know what will happen years later if you have a short course of hormones. There is very little solid data about TS's and their long term lives and the effects of long OR short term hormone therapy.

The only way you should start hormones is if you are absolutely dead on certain that femminization is your only choice. It is really a one way street - or at least you should view it that way. Truly, if you are worried about baldness etc, seek help for that and leave the hormones for later, if you find you are still wanting that.

Costs: very hard to say, depends on your area labs and your insurance (if any). You may be surprised to find many doctors won't even help you with lab tests, if they know you are taking hormones without an attending endo doc. There are labs that will do the testing without a doc involved, they are expensive. Figure hundreds for one set. At first you may need to be tested frequently.
    Last edited by CharleneT; 05-13-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added comment about costs

Oh, also I think it bears mentioning... the only reason I care to have the penis, is because doctors aren't magical wizards and can't give me a vagina like I'd have been born with if I was in the right body. I feel like I wouldn't be ever to truly orgasm again if I went all the way (If I could *ever* afford it on my budget), and orgasms are just plain nice.

...Sorry to be gross ^_^;

Oh, also I think it bears mentioning... the only reason I care to have the penis, is because doctors aren't magical wizards and can't give me a vagina like I'd have been born with if I was in the right body. I feel like I wouldn't be ever to truly orgasm again if I went all the way (If I could *ever* afford it on my budget), and orgasms are just plain nice.

Actually, this assumption is quite incorrect. It is usually impossible to visually tell the difference between the vagina that one is born with and the one that is created through surgery. And from everything I have heard from those who have had SRS, orgasms do not cease excepting during the healing period.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

A Few Have Regrets

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Actually, this assumption is quite incorrect. It is usually impossible to visually tell the difference between the vagina that one is born with and the one that is created through surgery. And from everything I have heard from those who have had SRS, orgasms do not cease excepting during the healing period.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I suppose a lot of transexuals don't mind if they fail to achieve or experience a potentially "earth shaking, soul stirring, intensely emotional, stress reducing" climax. Still, it must be upsetting to find out that the operation wasn't as promised. I vaguely recall the story about Renee Richards. I had never heard that she was having regrets until I came across this article.
    Last edited by Stargirl; 05-13-2009 at 07:07 PM.

GypsyKaren
    A gynecologist would have to do an internal examination to tell I'm a post-op, it's amazing what the better surgeons can do with so little to work with, and they work just fine.

Now then, for you Dagger Jaggers...either talk about the off topic, or argue about it being off topic, but not both, I have some pie waiting for me and I don't like being kept from pie.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Stargirl View Post

I suppose a lot of transexuals don't mind if they fail to achieve or experience a potentially "earth shaking, soul stirring, intensely emotional, stress reducing" climax. Still, it must be upsetting to find out that the operation wasn't as promised. I vaguely recall the story about Renee Richards. I had never heard that she was having regrets until I came across this article.
    Gads, and I could find an endless list of webpages where everything was as "promised" (promised by who exactly?) and, even more significantly, the transsexual was given the body they've been wanting all their lives. No surgical procedure always turns out perfectly, but I would hazard to guess the success ratio of SRS is at least as good as any other major surgery.

You don't want surgery? That's fine and totally your choice. But don't let your ignorance of the issue delude you.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Well thanks for clearing that up Sharon Maybe someday.

For now I am taking it slow, I never wanted this info for right away in any case :] I know how poor I am, even if I decided to start saving today (I have) I'll be saving a long time before I can make a move on this.

As an aside you don't need an erection to orgasm... Given the right stimulation *cough*

Warm in here isn't it...
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Tammy's Transsexual girl. Joan Merrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Golightly View Post
    As an aside you don't need an erection to orgasm... Given the right stimulation *cough*

Warm in here isn't it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tammy and me, not your usual couple
    :JoanMerrie:Yes I admit it I'm a trans rabbit.
    Simply me.

Coda...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKaren View Post
    ...I have some pie waiting for me and I don't like being kept from pie.

Karen
    Yes I have you pie...you asked for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Gads, and I could find an endless list of webpages where everything was as "promised" (promised by who exactly?) and, even more significantly, the transsexual was given the body they've been wanting all their lives. No surgical procedure always turns out perfectly, but I would hazard to guess the success ratio of SRS is at least as good as any other major surgery.

You don't want surgery? That's fine and totally your choice. But don't let your ignorance of the issue delude you.
    I doubt that people have any continuing ignorance of the issue in this day and age. They have to go through so much red tape, it's hard to comprehend being in the dark about anything related to such a major change. I was born female, so I don't have to be overly concerned about it. I have complete faith in my ts friends to make their own decisions. They are teaching me a lot, too.
    I am a weird older woman, and for now, it suits me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ria_ts View Post
    Go only as far as you really must go with transition. You have the option of stopping at any point.
    In this country there is no in between. Doctors loose their license if they give out hormones to those not diagnosed with GID and have approved SRS from the the board that do this.

The article was a bit confusing. It stated several points why I should not go forward...and in the end why I should...

But interesting it was, although I feel there is a lot of information missing to get the bigger picture.

And as suspected there is a lot of emphasis on passing. And how this can break you down. Also I think about this feeling you have when people look at you like a woman. If this goes away how one can come to regret things.