Thread: Fashion Faux Pas - Husband and Wife Wearing the Same Outfit?

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Fashion Faux Pas - Husband and Wife Wearing the Same Outfit?

Those that have seen my shopping posts know that I love Talbots. I love their classic styles and feminine lines. I introduced my wife to Talbots soon after we were married. Her wardrobe needed some professional and pretty "oomph" after being used to making her own clothes for most of her life.

Anyway, my last purchase from Talbots was a pair of khaki pants. They're very cute.

I came home today and saw a Talbots bag on the bed. I asked my wife what she had bought and she excitedly came in and pulled a tissue-wrapped bundle out of the bag. She unfolded them and I had to fight hard to not show any expression other than interest, while inside I was laughing until I cried. She had bought the same pair of khaki pants that I had!! True, hers are size 8, while mine are a few sizes smaller, but she bought the same pants. Too funny.

I guess I did teach her a thing or two about style.

Kathi

You know what they say ......"If you live together long enough ...you begin to look alike"

I don't think that this will happen any time soon with my SO; however, I have started shopping for clothes with her more and I've been able to give her some good advice -- lol!
    warmly, Linnea

Loves Pantyhose Melissa in hose's Avatar
    I came home one night about 18 months ago after a long trip and showed my wife a blouse I bought at JCP for myself. She loved it so much she asked me to go back to JCP the next day and get one for her in her size. Now as long as we don't both come out of the closet wearing it at the same time....

Gold Member
    So now you have to set her up with the matching top. . .

Haven't done that yet ,but... when shopping together, we have reached for the same thing on the rack at the same time...and more than once.
    By the way, my SO always gets first choice when that happens.
    No closet is big enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    while inside I was laughing until I cried. She had bought the same pair of khaki pants that I had!! True, hers are size 8, while mine are a few sizes smaller, but she bought the same pants. Too funny.

I guess I did teach her a thing or two about style.

Kathi
    I officially hate you.

I used to wear a 4 or 6, once upon a time...

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Kathi-

I think that's so cute. It just shows you both have good taste in clothes. My wife and I often go through catalogs or paw through racks of clothes, lots of times it's, "You're kidding, right? I wouldn't wear that to a dogfight." But many times it's, "Well, you get it and I'll borrow it."<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

That is funny, Kathi. Way funny. But let me tell you this: I wouldn't be caught dead at any gathering if any woman, especially my wife, were wearing the same dress as I was. Khaki pants....well, maybe.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Quote Originally Posted by steftoday View Post
    I officially hate you.

I used to wear a 4 or 6, once upon a time...
    Well, ratchet up the hate, Stef. When I said a few sizes, I meant a few more than a few - most of my skirts and pants are either size 0 or 2 (ducks as shoe is thrown at me )

Quote Originally Posted by Sue_CD View Post
    So now you have to set her up with the matching top. . .
    Luckily, although our lower-halves are vasty different sizes, most of our tops are the same - women's small or medium. As a result, between the two of us, we have a lot of nice tops. We were just shopping this evening and I convinced her to buy a few tops that I knew I would like. She tried them on, and was kinda "eh" about them. She heard my comments and saw my interest and suddenly the light went on. "Ah" she said. She knew that the tops were mostly for me.

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Well, ratchet up the hate, Stef. When I said a few sizes, I meant a few more than a few - most of my skirts and pants are either size 0 or 2 (ducks as shoe is thrown at me )

Kathi
    lol. that's awesome Kathi.

and, I would never throw one of my shoes at you! I have too few pairs to begin with!!!

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar

and, I would never throw one of my shoes at you! I have too few pairs to begin with!!!
    Here ya go, Stef, toss some of mine.<G> I have way too many and it would be a nifty excuse to buy some more. Size 2! <Joni walks away muttering under her breath.>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

size 0 or 2 now where did i put that slimfast shake?
    Last edited by JulieP; 07-11-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    My best friend gave me the best advice
    He said each day's a gift and not a given right
    Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
    And try to take the path less traveled by
    That first step you take is the longest stride

Well, I get that behavior (shoe-throwing, name-calling, etc.) a lot from GGs that know my size and/or have seen me in person, so I guess I'm just used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Marie Cruz View Post
    Here ya go, Stef, toss some of mine.<G> I have way too many and it would be a nifty excuse to buy some more. Size 2! <Joni walks away muttering under her breath.>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    Honey, I've seen your pictures - you're very cute and curvy. That's what drives men wild - the curves! I'm just a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieP View Post
    size 0 or 2 now where did i put that slimfast shake?
    Julie, no need for SlimFast. You're beautiful as you are.

Kathi

My girlfriend is tiny so I can't share her clothes! She does wish her feet were bigger so that she could borrow my shoes, though. Be glad that you're skinny. You can always pad out and probably way easier than trying to hide mass.

Things might have changed but, that you to be the "thing" in country western wear

I'm guilty of buying a few things the same except for size. I'm the bigger size though.

Brina

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Way to go, Kathi's wife!! A lot of us CD's do have good clothing sense. My color coordination is not all that good, but my late wife used to love the things I picked out for her! And yes, we did have several matching outfits that we loved to wear out in public!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I actually pick out most of the clothes that my girlfriend wears. It's a shame she's a 00 petite.

LOL how nice. Says she who is sat here at the computer waiting to go to church dressed in one of my partners summer tops. I saw him in it the other day and realised it was actually the right colour to go with one of my jackets so I nicked it out of his wardrobe this morning. He has only just noticed but doesn't seem to mind cause I'm always doing it.
    I have to say usually his stuff doesn't fit quite as it should do but that doesn't stop me I just make a few minor adjustments with belts and hey presto. I have also pinched his Lippy because it goes with my outfit better than any I have. Who said there are no advantages to having a CD partner, its a bit like having a big sister who's wardrobe is always available to explore.
    Take care
    Bev