Thread: Has this happened to you?

Southern Minnesota

Has this happened to you?

I was in a K Mart the other day checking out the clearence rack and the lingerie section of the store when over the P.A. system comes the announcement for security cameras to scan section 5 of the store. The next thing I know the store manager is in the department checking all the fire extinguishers and when he works his way over to me asks if he can help me. I said I was just looking and he said we can't charge you with that. Well after that I left the store angry. They lost a sale and I will never be back to that K Mart. Has this happened to anyone else?

No, that's one of the reasons I stay away from stores like K-mart.....

I take it you were in isle 5.

Maybe you should have replied, "Are you harassing me? Thats against the law. Give me your name and you'll be hearing from my lawyer"

I would have said 'yes you can, it's pretty hard to find anything fitting FOR ME'.
    Something simmiluar happened to me in David Jones in Newcastle. I asked the sales girl for 5 white gym slips which she had to go to the back store to get it. She asked you sure they have to be all white? I said of course they are for myself.
    Her mouth stood open for a while before she left to get it.
    Never let sales personal intimidate you, they are paid to serve you
    Hugs from Norbie
    TRUE FEMININE = TOTAL WOMAN!

girl next door

Yeesh!

Yeesh, Marilyn, that's awful. I must say I'm a bit surprised. I've browsed the lingere section of area Walmarts/KMarts etc with no such issues. Who's to say you weren't shopping for a GG. Anyway, I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience, and I hope it doesn't hold you back in the future. (Screw 'em!)

Well, at least we all know not to patronize KMarts in Minnesota!

Platinum Member
    i think i would have said to that person when he said we can't charge you with that.
    could you give me the number to your corprate headquaters???? oh never mind your name will do fine ....i shure my lawyer can sort all this out.....have a greate day....
    and then i would just walk away....(buy something on your credit card ) the date time
    and store number will be on there.....and proof posstive you were there .....store records would show mr, coustmer service was also there.....

no need to go any more ...point will be well taken....

It has happened to me and probably the main reason why I shop online now and don't dress as much.Yeah I shouldnt let a few incidents stop me but it adds up :mad:
    Merry

HRT since 2009

No, that's never happened to me. But it reminds me of the movie Rainman with Dustin Hoffman playing a middle aged autistic man. Smartly dressed came the words, "K Mart sucks".

What is someone from Minnesota (the world headquarters for Target) doing shopping at a K-mart? LOL.

Hugs,

Melissa

I spent many years as a retail manager and it totally amazes me how unprofessional many store personnel behave. If store security has a possible situation on their hands (not that you were one), and wish to notify the store manager, there are much more subtle ways of doing so.
    It's too bad for us, and other "out of place" customers, when we are made to be objects of ridicule and not treated with respect and dignity. Not that I would ever shop in K-Mart anyway, but I'll damn sure never go there now, even though I'm on the other side of the country.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Banned Read only

I had one awful experience a few years ago in a small clothes shop near us..

I've posted about this before.

I went into the women's clothes shop, looked at skirts and immediately the two saleswomen started laughing.

One picked a skirt up and held it in font of me, asking if I'd like a shorter one and if I'd like to borrow her make-up.

The other girl, who was the youngest of the two continued laughing at me.

I never went near the store again.

I've gotten funny looks in womens departments several times. I go shopping with my wife all the time. She likes my opinion on her outfits, since I'm the one lookin at her the most. I know her tastes, and have a pretty good fashion sense (hmm wonder why). But I've had sales people watch us closely, as I'm holding up things asking what my wife thinks. Its funny to watch a strangers mind work in that situation. 90% of the time we are shopping for her anyway. Its funny how a couple can shop for clothes in the mens department and never hear a thing, switch it around and here come the eyes. I had one sales lady at a Dillards one time come up and tell me that they had chairs available if I wanted to wait for my wife to be done. I told her it was okay, I think we're through, hung what I was holding for her on the nearest rack and we left. Went to Foleys, spent a few hundred dollars and walked back through Dillards with the bags looking for her, ready for that "Pretty Woman" moment...."big mistake..."
    Krissi

u can't take crap from stores, they work for you.. in a related story (non-tg), my wife went into an avenue store.. they took like an hour figuring out the discount (couldn't figure out 20% off), so finally she left in anger because they kept argueing with her (simple math people), so an hour later they call our home and apologize for their mistake, and end up giving her like a 50% discount on top of a 20% discount if she comes back to pay for her purchases, she really made out there.

Smile

I give as good as I get, any smirks, comments, grief or stress from some jumped up git in a shop uniform is always thrown back at them in whatever manner I feel suits the situation. Best to ask if thier boss would like to share the joke and demand the boss is summoned there and then to be asked if it's really all that hilarious for a man to be buying female clothes in large sizes.

If it's male shop assistants doing it, I just tend to walk right up to them and ask just what in the hairy Fu*k they think theyre talking about. Not advisable if your a small girl, but for us biggies, it's fun.. Hell it's almost sport !

Another fun thing that annoys the hell out of shop assistants... If they have a name badge (aww cute ! the might forget thier names)... Use thier name in the conversation, especially if it's thier frst name.

Last thing.... If you call over a manager, be sure you ask... no... TELL them to note the problem somewhere as you will be taking it much further, and be sure to ring, email or write to thier head office, demanding written apologies... and be sure to get the names of the offending staff, managers and so on, noting the time and date if you dont make a purchase, or as Wendy Me says, make a purchase on your credit card (or cash) and keep the receipt as proof you were there.

XX

Jayme.

CD Lifer and a Visual Kei Shinya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn.Marilyn
    I was in a K Mart the other day checking out the clearence rack and the lingerie section of the store when over the P.A. system comes the announcement for security cameras to scan section 5 of the store. The next thing I know the store manager is in the department checking all the fire extinguishers and when he works his way over to me asks if he can help me. I said I was just looking and he said we can't charge you with that. Well after that I left the store angry. They lost a sale and I will never be back to that K Mart. Has this happened to anyone else?
    I got that once. I heard a page on the PA and then there was couple of store emp`s hanging around behind me. I just continued shopping for what I went for. They even followed me to the check out. But, I was never bothered by them. To bad, I would have gone off on them for the comment that you received. Thet was so unprofessional and uncalled for.

K-mart sucks, but they carry my favorite hose. what to do what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinya
    I got that once. I heard a page on the PA and then there was couple of store emp`s hanging around behind me. I just continued shopping for what I went for. They even followed me to the check out. But, I was never bothered by them. To bad, I would have gone off on them for the comment that you received. Thet was so unprofessional and uncalled for.

K-mart sucks, but they carry my favorite hose. what to do what to do.
    I had a similar experience in another dept store. I was in full drag trying out some shoes when the PA system announced to scan the shoes dept. They were less subtle than the k-mart in question here.

I immediately understood they are possiblly having problem with me or someone too close to me. I didn't want to take a chance. So I unhurriedly walked out.

- Nisha.

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I used to work at a Kmart in Maine. Allow me to explain this situation.

Most Kmart stores don't have anyone watching the cameras out back, but the staff announce to "scan" areas of the store to reduce shoplifting. They are required to do so several times per day, using a random section number. Chances are Section 5 isn't the area you were even close to. As far as the greeting, employees are required to greet everyone they see.

I know that crosdressing can make a person very self conscious, but I highly doubt it was what you thought it was.

Charlie
    Last edited by gender_blender; 07-08-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Southern Minnesota

Thank you

Thank you for all your nice replys. This won't stop me from shopping but it won't be at that K-Mart. The reason I shop K-Mart is that they have some good deals in the close out racks in the womens depts. Being on a limited budget I have to look for any deals I can find. Perhaps I should stick to online shopping less stress for this girl! Maybe we could start a list of all C.D. excepting stores around.

Thanks again, Marilyn

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    Kmart is fairly diversity-friendly. When I worked there, one of the training videos placed a positive spin on workplace diversity, including Gay Issues as its main point.

I obeyed the female dress code the entire time I was an employee. Shopping after my shift in the women's department while I knew most every associate in the store was a common sight as well.

Charlie