Thread: From the mouths of babes

From the mouths of babes

It's often amusing what young children ask or say in their youthful innocence of not "knowing better than to say that!" Unless it's my kid who said it; then it's sort of exasperating because I have to be the one to tell him "don't say that, you might embarrass/offend someone."

For a little background, I've hair long hair ever since graduate school. I've only cut it short twice since; once for my first out-of-school interviews, and again for my wedding. I usually wear it in a pony-tail to keep it out of my eyes. Rarely does anyone comment on it.

Except this weekend, at a birthday party for one of my six-year-old's friends.

Little six-year-old boy: Why do you have a ponytail?

Me: Because I have long hair, and it'd be in my face if I didn't, and then I wouldn't be able to see.

Little boy (after a pause to digest that): Why is your hair long?

Me: Because I'd look silly with short hair.

I'm not sure where the questions might have gone next, as my own six-year-old started pulling me toward the door to go home. I had to laugh at the whole thing, though. Kids!

I was walking through a dodgy estate when I heard some little footsteps behind me. She tapped on my shoulder and I turned round. She was about six.
    "You're not a real girl are you?"
    "Sssshh don't tell anybody" My manicured fingers cut my lips and I smiled.
    She ran off to her friends. I walked down the road. About a minute later I heard a loud cry from a soft voice.
    "I've told someone!"

Beautiful
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Last Halloween I was dressed as a wench and a little girl stopped for treats when she looked at me and said "are you a girl tonight?" to which I said I guess so. Her mom was right there and smiled. Babes, what can you say, they are so innocent.

Keli

So, why do you look silly with short hair?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

My son is seven and the other day he said daddy your hair is long you look like a girl with long hair . This promted a discusion and I told him some people have long hair, some short ,some people have beards, some mustashes . were all defferent . but ill always be your daddy and ill always love you . He then asked me what was for dinner .

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England View Post
    So, why do you look silly with short hair?
    I have a bit of a cowlick near the base of my hairline in the back. I either have to have my hair cut extremely short (ewww) or let it grow well past my collar, or it sticks out in odd directions.