Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well it finally happened to me

Well it finally happened to me

I was stopped while fully enfemme by traffic officer and while I remained calm I wasn't eventually ticketed I should have been outraged.

This stop was at about 6AM in dry conditions and very light traffic (three cars within 1 mile of each other) on the freeway and this officer stopped me because I did not take a full 2 seconds after signaling before I changed lanes! Mind you there was no "unsafe" lane changes, no cutting people off while changing lanes nothing actually unsafe at all. Not even an equipment or a paperwork violation.

I saw the officer in my side view mirrors didn't have a clue as to why he stopped me until he explained it after I exited and was on a side street. It is stops like this that gives the people the impression that they have some sort of quota of stops to make. Sadly I didn't get the officer's name or badge number and I would have written a complaint if I had them.

Of all things, my wife was in the car and he was polite and made no comments about the way I was dressed, still there was no legitimate reason to make this stop.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

not new anymore just shy VickieBonne's Avatar
    You were not ticketed for a violation you committed yet you would still want to file a complaint? That's not right. You even say he was polite. He gave you a break. I don't get it.

He made no big deal out of it, you shouldn't either.

Gold Member
    Yeah if you get stopped and don't get cited or anything, and the office is polite, then hell, let it go.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

It was good he made no comment on how you were dressed

Its also good he told you why you were stopped and then let you off without a ticket

Sounds like a good deal to me

I see no reason to complain at all
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Former Member
    I drive hundreds of miles every day for my job. One thing I have noticed lately is more of a police presence on the highways. I believe since tax revenues are down because of the recession, police departments are looking for new revenues. If each officer passes out several $100+ tickets a day, that goes a long way toward increasing the department's revenue stream.

I would be happy with a warning. I never seem to get them.

And people wonder why everyone generally has a low opinion of cops. Go figure. Dude should get a life.

I was stopped once for travelling a little to close to the person in front of me during a time of heavy traffic. Everyone was packed in this way, but I got stopped. No ticket, just a lecture. And a big waste of my time.

Incidently, I mean no offense to any members of the law enforcement community. But if you are, take note. People really want to be left alone before they get pulled over for trivial reasons.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

so you were stopped by a cop nothing happened no big deal. it could be worse you could be out $$$$$$ maybe he just wanted to check out the Babe behind the wheel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Celeste, if you looked as good then as you do in your Avatar, no wonder he pulled you over! He really wanted a better look!

Seriously, you live in Oregon the Wacko state! What do you expect? Oh yeah, I lived in Oregon the first half of my life! The officer was just doing the job he gets paid for, and since you didn't get a ticket you have cause for outrage. Unless maybe because he did not tell you how pretty you were!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I would not complain at all. it will make us look bad to be crybabies about it.
    I have been pulled over while enfemme and was never ticketed, the officers were very polite and told me to be careful out there. I always chalk it up as another positve experience out and about while I was enfemme.

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar

You've been sandbagged

It happens to us all sometime or another.

Regarding the quota's, yes, yes and yes they do exist. Every officer has a minimum number of citations to write in a month. Several of my least favorite relatives are officers, they talk about such things at family gatherings.

While I am glad you were respectful to the arresting officer, I know what you really wanted to say. I can't reprint it here without violating some of the community rules, but it rhymes with, "Puck off you sandbagging son of a ditch."

If professional sports referees acted like most of our officers, games would never end. Did you know that every time the ball is snapped in the NFL, a penalty occurs somewhere on the field by the end of that down? It's true, but the referees employ something called discretion and only the penalties that affect the game (or are flagrant violations) draw a penalty flag. Too bad most officers lack the judgment to do the same.

If I were you, I'd take it to court and describe the situation (empty road, 6am, clear conditions) and the offense as well. Some traffic court judges are understanding about such nonsensical violations, some are worse than the cops. At least in court you get a 50-50 chance. I'm sorry to say that 100% of all cops I've met are completely hooked on the smell of their own farts, which I guess causes brain damage and other mental defects.

Sorry If I've offended any pigs, but they've offended me plenty with no apology.

Banned Read only
    First of all, half the cops on the road never signal at all, much less a full two seconds before turning or changing lanes.

Second, traffic stops have become a cash cow, for state and local municipalities.

Cops do not have a "quota" as we know it. They have "job performance reviews"! The boss says, "We know the violators are out there. If you aren't catching them, you aren't doing your job".

They also get overtime, just for traffic enforcement, and are expected to pay their way! I hear them every day on my scanner. When they finish their regular shift, they call in for "an X ray number". The dispatcher tells them, they are now "X Ray Two", or some other X Ray number. They then stay on a few more hours, doing nothing but traffic, or backup.

They also get Federal Funds just for seatbelt enforcement. And I have heard them say, "I'm taking a couple hours seatbelt time"!

Also there was a brouhaha in Michigan a while back when the Michigan State Police were required to make 2 1/2 "contacts" per hour. Not necessarily write tickets, but make 2 1/2 stops per hour, which might account for the chicken shit stops, with just a warning. I,m sure other depts do it the same way.

Michigan is currently planning to layoff 100 state troopers in July. Quite frankly, I hope they do. I've never been arrested, and have no axe to grind, but I'm sick and tired of cops pointing their Laser speed guns at me, from behind every bridge abutment, and around every curve.

I know exactly how you feel. About a month ago I was pulled over by a sherriff's deputy while dressed. I got 2 tickets car got impounded and I had to walk about 7 miles to get home, hat was after I sat in the back of his car for several hours while he searched every inch of my car. I had on a super short mini with fishnnets and 5" heels.

I am of the opinion that a small portion of each traffic ticket fine goes into the law enforcement retirement fund. At least it does here in NC and I would think its nation wide.

I respect what our police and firemen do for us. However, using the sports referee analogy, I too sometimes think that the officers need to use their heads more and be more discretionary when performing unnecessary stops like the one described above. Heck, why isn't he out there during rush hour when he could stop all the cars who switch lanes and never use a turn signal? Too much work and it would slow traffic, even though that is when the police action would better influence drivers to be more careful if they saw more police giving tickets to recklace and inconsiderate drivers. I live in a small town and suburb of a larger metropolitan area. I greatly dislike the local police because of their apparent non-community spirit just because of these types of traffic stops and their macho attitudes. Then they pay someone to call up and ask for donations where they only get about 30% of the take. I am more than ready to pay my traffic ticket when I obviously made a mistake, and I do every so often. End of rant!

Well about a 2-1 ratio of ignore it to tell em off. I guess I'll just leave sleeping dogs (er Policemen) lay.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

It could be that the officer felt there was something "wrong" with you or your car. One night my wife and I were out inspecting our new house which was under construction (I work until 11pm). As we were coming out of the subdivision an officer pulled us over. She was very polite, and gave as the reason "failure to signal a lane change", there were no other cars visible. The actual reason is she thought we were suspicious, there had been theft incidents from the construction areas, so she checked up on us. I found this out later from a new neighbor who is a police officer. No ticket was issued and we went on our way. If the laws of your state require 2 seconds signaling before a lane change, then he had a legitimate reason to stop you. Since he was polite, did not give you a ticket, and did not hassle you about your appearance, what's the problem? If he really was out to make a quota, you would have had a citation, and your word against his in court. You broke the law (it doesn't matter how minor it was), and you didn't get punished for it more than a few minutes of your time. It could be worse, police in Britian are stopping whites arbitrarily so they can fill a quota and not look like they are racial profiling by stopping only other ethnicities....Stephanie

Exclamation

I am guessing since you say you were on the freeway, this was the Oregon State Police that did the stop. Yes, they are traffic officers. Their primary mission is TRAFFIC SAFETY!

When traffic is heavy, they are busy. They don't have time to work on the safety part, they are responding to accidents and keeping the roads clear. Only when traffic is less dense, do they have time to speak to drivers about improving their driving habits.

Unlike city police and county Sheriff's; state law enforcement do not receive any benefit from traffic citations. Very little goes back to the state general fund.

OSP is there for your safety.

He saw to attractive ladies in a car, and wanted a closer look. That is ALL this is. I have dated several women who have had experiences of being harassed by specific officers like this on a relatively regular basis. In my experience cops tend to think the law doesn't apply to them, and their buddies support their view.

You can file a complaint, but it won't go anywhere, I would avoid the aggravation and just chalk this up to part of life as a girl.

I'm a big fan of law and order, but I am not able to be a big fan of the police in the states. I would likely be a bigger fan if they were known for being more professional, and less of a (occasionally expensive) nuisance. Especially considering that anytime I have something stolen or might actually need a cop, I always get "I'm sorry, there is nothing we can do about that..."
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Often, the way the police catch people doing seriously illegal things (Drugs, drug smuggling, drinking and driving, warrants, etc) is to stop them for some minor violation. Once you are stopped for that minor but legitimate reason, they have a chance to run your plates and your history ad to look around your car. I doubt he ever had any intention of actually issuing a violation for the offense he stopped you for, he just wanted an excuse to look for something more serious. No question it was legal, but I think it's sort of a gray area as to if this is morally acceptable or not.

By the way, I don't recall any two second requirement on the turn signals!

Aspiring lady of leisure kay_jessica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha43 View Post
    .......I believe since tax revenues are down because of the recession, police departments are looking for new revenues. If each officer passes out several $100+ tickets a day, that goes a long way toward increasing the department's revenue stream......
    Samantha, your (and others) assertion that these seemingly minor traffic violation stops are for revenue generation does not hold water. Several of the posters, including Celeste did not receive a ticket just a warning about their driving.

Quote Originally Posted by celeste26 View Post
    I was stopped while fully enfemme by traffic officer and while I remained calm I wasn't eventually ticketed.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vivianann View Post
    I have been pulled over while enfemme and was never ticketed, the officers were very polite and told me to be careful out there......
    Stephanie and Kimberly have very valid points that should be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie-L View Post
    ..... As we were coming out of the subdivision an officer pulled us over. She was very polite, and gave as the reason "failure to signal a lane change", there were no other cars visible. The actual reason is she thought we were suspicious, there had been theft incidents from the construction areas, so she checked up on us. I found this out later from a new neighbor who is a police officer. No ticket was issued and we went on our way.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Often, the way the police catch people doing seriously illegal things (Drugs, drug smuggling, drinking and driving, warrants, etc) is to stop them for some minor violation. Once you are stopped for that minor but legitimate reason, they have a chance to run your plates and your history ad to look around your car. I doubt he ever had any intention of actually issuing a violation for the offense he stopped you for, he just wanted an excuse to look for something more serious. No question it was legal, but I think it's sort of a gray area as to if this is morally acceptable or not.

By the way, I don't recall any two second requirement on the turn signals!
    I think Evie hits the nail right on the head. You were all stopped because of your "bad" driving. Not so bad as to warrant a ticket but bad enough to attract the officers attention. "Bad" habits lead to habitual techniques thus if you routinely make "unsafe" lane changes when it does not harm any one, sooner or later you'll do it when it does and some one may get killed. Most of the accidents on our motorways (freeways) are caused by speed, being to close to the guy in front or unsafe lane changes. I hear you say that "no, it was the car in front, it had a blow out just before I hit him", well you hit him because you were riding up his tail pipe. We have the same argument in the UK over speed cameras. If you look carefeully at where they are sited you can see why they are there. They are more often than not in locations where speed has been a major factor in FATAL rtas.

Quote Originally Posted by Evie08 View Post
    I am guessing since you say you were on the freeway, this was the Oregon State Police that did the stop. Yes, they are traffic officers. Their primary mission is TRAFFIC SAFETY!

When traffic is heavy, they are busy. They don't have time to work on the safety part, they are responding to accidents and keeping the roads clear. Only when traffic is less dense, do they have time to speak to drivers about improving their driving habits.

Unlike city police and county Sheriff's; state law enforcement do not receive any benefit from traffic citations. Very little goes back to the state general fund.

OSP is there for your safety.
    So give the traffic cops a break, they are out there trying to make our roads safe for every one by stopping jerks from learning bad habits.

And NO I'm not a traffic cop, and YES I have been stopped for similar things but I realised and understood the rational behind the stop. And since a friend of mine and her 2 yr old were killed by a petrol head doing an estimated 95 mph on a dry clear apparently desserted road at 09:00 on a Sunday morning. She was fixing a blow out in a slightly hidden dip in the road. The force of the impact ignighted both cars, thankfully my friend and the child died instantly, the petrol head took 2 weeks to die (painfully). I understand and accept the need for speed cameras. There's now a speed camera there but people complain about its location claiming its a revenue camera. I think, the driving test should have a minimum IQ requirement as some people seem to be intellectually challenged when it comes to road safety.

Hugs

Kay

What's this got to do with cd'ing?
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    [QUOTE=celeste26;1764470]I was stopped while fully enfemme by traffic officer...[QUOTE=celeste26;1764470]

The short version...

bad quotes!
    Last edited by Krista1985; 06-21-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added a hatred of quoting

Aspiring lady of leisure kay_jessica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    What's this got to do with cd'ing?
    The thread was started because Celeste was stoppped whilst dressed. If however, my comments make people think about their driving and it SAVES just one life because as a result their driving was a little smarter then don't you think its worth saying? Said anywhere else it is out of context and will have less impact. Perhaps, if the petrol head had been a CDer and read this thread 2 years ago, them my friend may still be alive with a cute 4 year old.

Hugs

Kay
    Last edited by kay_jessica; 06-21-2009 at 05:49 AM.

He was trying to let you know it was an unsafe move so you won't repeat when your in heavy traffic. If I get stopped and don;t get a ticket I'm thrilled Andwould like to buy him a beer.
    Angie