Thread: Transgender Day / Dear Society...

Lightbulb Transgender Day / Dear Society...

Hi all. Me again.
    Having just come out of the shadows yesterday and finally saying hi, I thought I'd voice a few opinions.

First, a letter.

Dear Society.
    Please stop regarding Cross-dressers, Transgendered people, and other people who don't fit into your quite frankly small-minded view of what is 'normal' as something to be laughed at, mocked, ridiculed ect.

In case you haven't noticed, girls can walk into TopShop, New Look, Miss Selfridge, browse and buy dresses, skirts, makeup, heels, and underwear without being mocked and ridiculed.

I have.

I realise some people don't do this, fantastic.

However, I'm sick of being told "It's for girls!" - I know you think it's for girls, but some of us disagree with the gender assignment we were born into.

If I want to dress like this, I will, and if you disagree, I think it's time for change.

I think we need to organise a Transgender Day, parades, flyers, and flags, to show we're here, we're proud, and we're not going away.

Who's in?

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Hello Sophie,

I have a suggestion. Instead of a pseudo-letter to society why don't you write a real to your MP and ask him/her to support widening the scope of protection in the Equalities Bill, which is currently going through Parliament, to cover all gender variant people?
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaJaneThomas View Post
    Hello Sophie,

I have a suggestion. Instead of a pseudo-letter to society why don't you write a real to your MP and ask him/her to support widening the scope of protection in the Equalities Bill, which is currently going through Parliament, to cover all gender variant people?
    Good call! And to any businesses that discriminate etc.
    (though I've found the SA in Sportsgirl and in Just Jeans asked me if I wanted to try things on I didn't raise the issue they offered)

But there are plenty of discriminatory laws, businesses, and people.

So indeed use that fire and lets get active. Writing to our representatives is a great first step. And marches can be fun. There are some TG flags already and most marches include some TG groups.. if we could get enough active we could have equal sized marches!

Paula and Batty are absolutely correct.

Attitudes are not going to change because we wish them to, change requires action on our part.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Yes, we all need to activate. I set some goals for my crossdressing activity at the start of this year, but it all had to do with my individual development.
    Now I'm going to set some mid-year goals: the first one is that I'm going to write to both of my senators to express the need for heighten awareness and application of the principles of equality and acceptance for all people regardless of race, age, gender, etc., to realize that this includes people who are transgendered.
    I'll report back after I write and when I get a response.
    I encourage everyone to take some kind of action, and truly a letter to a legislator is a pretty easy kind.
    warmly, Linnea

Quote Originally Posted by linnea View Post
    Yes, we all need to activate. I set some goals for my crossdressing activity at the start of this year, but it all had to do with my individual development.
    Now I'm going to set some mid-year goals: the first one is that I'm going to write to both of my senators to express the need for heighten awareness and application of the principles of equality and acceptance for all people regardless of race, age, gender, etc., to realize that this includes people who are transgendered.
    I'll report back after I write and when I get a response.
    I encourage everyone to take some kind of action, and truly a letter to a legislator is a pretty easy kind.
    This is a great idea I think I will do the same.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boy2girl31 View Post
    This is a great idea I think I will do the same.
    In several countries there are things needing immediate atention because they are in legislative processes or will be very soon!

In the USA there is

ENDA (protecting your jobs if out or outed)

The Mathew Shephard Act (making murdering or assaulting a TG or GLB person for being who they are the same as murdering a Black for being Black, a Jew for being a Jew and a Christian for being a Christian, and no it doesn't harm freedom of religious speech, there are clauses in place to protect that despite the lies saying it will)

Don't Ask Don't Tell (TGs often serve in the military, they get chucked out when outted too)

Defence Of Marriage Act (TGs are often forced to divorce if the husband or wife transitions!)

In the U.K. there is:

The Equality Act (covers GLB and TS but not CDs!)

In Australia there is:

The Human Rights Community Consultation (submissions have closed now other than the public meetings in Canberra in a few days but you can write to your MP and Senator and Attorney General to support a charter of rights if it comes before them and ask it to be in line with the Yogyakarta Principles covering Gender Expression and Identity)

Anyone know of others?