Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Understand the Community

Banned Read only

Trying to Understand the Community

For an event for an organization, I was elected as a female delegate (there is gender balance involved and it's unfortunately like pulling teeth to get female delegates) and of course this will have to go past the credentials committee. There's always the question of whether I'm doing it so as to bypass gender balance. I was asked, straight out, if I really identify as a woman or if I just crossdress.

My understanding was that all of us here relate to a feminine side in this in one way or another. That transgender would apply, that there wouldn't be a question. It was mentioned that there are transvestites and transsexuals who crossdress but don't consider themselves the opposite gender in any way (I also thought transsexuals were the ones who did the change!).

So, this brings up the question that I would like to ask straight out, rather than the hobby question or whatnot. Do you know of crossdressers who completely consider themselves as their biological sex?

Myself, I like calling myself bi-gender, I relate with both halves equally.

I have struggled with the whole gender thing for years. I guess what I have come to terms with is that I have a strong feminine side- if we are putting labels on things. Im not sure if it is because of being raised mostly by women, and raised the same as my sisters in most ways. I do crossdress but am transgender as well. In some ways I guess I was born male but never really learned what a man really was, and was raised female(except for the clothes) as a male. What that all means Im still trying to figure out.

To honestly answer that question would take more space than a single post allows, and would probably insult half the community in one way or another. There are core differences in perception and opinion we usually avoid to respect other people's feelings, and to have ours respected likewise..
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    I am simply a male with fabulous taste in clothes.

Seriously, I know that some here identify as female - some just a bit and some so strongly that they are either considering hormones/surgery to correct what they feel as a birth defect or have already done so. This is not a "niche" site. We run the entire spectrum. I feel that I am on one end of that spectrum. No matter how I'm dressed, I identify as a male. I speak in a male's voice. I act as a male. I am a male. I simply choose to dress as what society views as a female. To me there's noting fetishistic about it. Nothing strange. I just am comfortable at times dressing completely and totally as a woman.

That said, I do feel what I can only describe as "girly" when I do this. I take great pleasure in doing these things. I enjoy emulating a woman - mostly to blend in, but also because I enjoy it.

Simple, isn't it?

Kathi

I don't identify with myself as being female. One of the reasons I like to wear female clothing is that I'm not supposed to - according to the conditioning I had while being raised, and from what I see around me. I enjoy it, and sometimes I'm driven to it. I also like the idea of being a chameleon - being able to hide right in plain sight because I'm not recognized - kind of an ultimate challenge I guess.

I'm familiar with the idea of developing and taking on a personna, though I haven't taken it that far yet. It would be interesting... and perhaps then I would (for that time) identify as female.

Since you're new here, Veronica, I won't call you to task for not reading the last eleventy-six threads on the subject. Suffice to say that there is a large percentage of "blokes in a dress" as one regular puts it. I'm sure you'll meet all of us as we all respond to this thread. I don't shave, I don't wear a wig or falsies or makeup, I don't wear artificial nails or paint the ones I have. I don't consider myself a woman in a man's body, or think that I have two different personalities that alternate in dominance. I don't have a female name for my "other side". I don't want people to think even for a moment that I'm a woman. I don't change my voice or otherwise try to adopt "feminine" characteristics*. About the only thing you could say that slides me a bit along the gender scale is that I'm perhaps more emotionally sensitive and empathetic than most of my non-TG male friends - on the other hand I'm every bit as crude and overcompetitive as they are, too.

Kathi answered much better than I did, and with far less arrogance - we do indeed have all kinds here.

Does that answer your question?

* I put that in sarcasm quotes because I find that a lot of people have this bizarre 19th century idea of what a "real woman" should be like, and they imitate that fictional idealized caricature of a woman rather than anything realistically feminine. Not that there's anything wrong with that (see my avatar pic)

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    As for me I cross dress to role play and "impersonate" a female and get sexual, pyschological and relaxing gratification out of it by a feeling of contentment. To feel as other than my biological choice of 100% male is a lot of phoooey. I don't have a "feminine side" by I can role play it out by method acting to appear that way. Me biologically feminine?... no way, just gimmie the damn clothes to look act and feel like a girl for three hours and then the wig and makeup come wiping off and its back to my guy self... happily
    I cocur with what Kathi Lake said "That said, I do feel what I can only describe as "girly" when I do this. I take great pleasure in doing these things. I enjoy emulating a woman - mostly to blend in, but also because I enjoy it.

Hear here, same here

Megan
    Last edited by Megan70; 08-16-2009 at 11:42 PM.

I Kathi Lake & Megan70 siad it well........

Banned Read only
    Why, Kathi Lake, Ah do b'lieve you have done hit that there nail squarely on the head... and Ah do know a thang or two about hittin' nails.

I am a stubborn S.O.B., and have always been inclined to do (or at least try) things I'm told I can't. So if they say a boy can't wear dresses and be pretty, well, them's fightin' words. And why not? They're lettin' wimmin drive Indy cars and run fer president now, fer Pete's sakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post

Seriously, I know that some here identify as female - some just a bit and some so strongly that they are either considering hormones/surgery to correct what they feel as a birth defect or have already done so. This is not a "niche" site. We run the entire spectrum. I feel that I am on one end of that spectrum. No matter how I'm dressed, I identify as a male. I speak in a male's voice. I act as a male. I am a male. I simply choose to dress as what society views as a female. To me there's noting fetishistic about it. Nothing strange. I just am comfortable at times dressing completely and totally as a woman.

That said, I do feel what I can only describe as "girly" when I do this. I take great pleasure in doing these things. I enjoy emulating a woman - mostly to blend in, but also because I enjoy it.

Simple, isn't it?

Kathi
    Do you wear breast forms when you dress.

I ask as you state: No matter how I'm dressed, I identify as a male. I speak in a male's voice. I act as a male. I am a male. I simply choose to dress as what society views as a female.
    So wearing breast forms would not be worn then as men do not have breasts and you only wear what society see as female. I am guessing when you say wear you mean clothing, lingerie, footwear, jewelerry etc.

Xx Vicky xX
    Last edited by Vicky_Scot; 08-17-2009 at 09:31 AM.

MC, no offense, but I suddenly visualized you as the construction dude in Village People. Ha! Do we have any policemen or Native Americans here? How about a biker?

Vicky, I sure do! In fact, I just spent quite a bit of my girl-budget for the year at a local mastectomy supply store to purchase the most perfect pair of artificial breasts that money can buy. Why? Not to be a woman, but to look like one as much as possible. To me, nothing says feminine as much as a woman's most recognizable secondary sexual characteristic - their boobies (as my friends at the mastectomy store call them). The feeling of confidence I have in my look when I wear these cannot be understated. The feeling of weight on my chest as I walk is a constant reminder to do the "shoulders back, butt out, stomach in" walk of a woman. Once again, with me, it's more a desire to blend and look/feel like a woman than be one.

As to why I couldn't settle for a lesser pair of forms, that is more my personality type. When I get into something, I get into it! I save and plan and save and plan some more and get the best-in-class items for that latest thing I want to do. When I wanted to get into video, I could have gotten a consumer-grade camcorder, but that's just not me. Instead I got a very nice camera (the one they film Scrubs with), with all the trimmings. Worth it? To me, very much.

Kathi

It is too bad we no longer have polls. There seem to be many of us on the male end of the scale. I am a man dressed in drab, drag or nothing. I truly enjoy wearing womens clothing, wigs and makeup, I enjoy going out even though I do not pass as a female. The gender scale may be a bell curve with the uber male on one end and the transexual on the other with the rest of us crossdressers scattered about one end of the scale.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Some guys on here have actually made a pretty big point of saying they identify as male. Gender and genitals are different, but they don't dictate one another in my book.

I really don't know quite what I am, but I'm trying to figure it out through process of elimination.

Thus far, I have determined that I am not any of the following; toaster oven, cocktail olive, fried chicken recipe, schooner, diving board, turkey sandwich, bass guitar, packet of sugar substitute, prescription pill bottle, heavy metal vinyl record, brownie crumb, telephoto lens, cicada carcass, pot of gravy, web address, sycamore tree, cough drop, jar of mayonnaise, wrist watch, ukulele, cellular telephone, video game controller, rainbow, television show, spigot, compact disc, honey glazed ham, wallet, dictionary, plate, clock-radio, satellite, flax seed, glass elephant, and I am certainly NOT Ronnie James Dio.

There is a distinct possibility I am a wicker basket, though. I have a suspicion that I might be Willie Aames as well. I haven't ruled anything like that out, yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My writing thread

Yes. I know some occassional crossdressers that identify as males only. They dress to have fun, feel better, become sexually aroused etc.

I on the otherhand, fit better at the TS end of the scale.

Michelle

Persephone88,

Are you sure you don't have the song "Holy Diver" running through your head? Hmmm. Must've been me.

As for the wicker basket test, try this. Take a big drink of water. Done it? Good. Are you leaking?

Kathi

Hello Veronica!
    My guess is that the board elected a pretty good female representative. Dressed, I have a very strong female motivation and outlook. Not just actions, but a true gender bend. Why else would I like compliments and attention from men? I certainly do not like that (would consider it darn right strange) in male mode. I also relate to equality issues, dressing issues, and stereotypes.
    Charlie

Simple, isn't it?

Kathi

Kathi-my feelings exactly. Couldn't have said it better.
    Hugs.
    Laura.

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Since you're new here, Veronica, I won't call you to task for not reading the last eleventy-six threads on the subject. Suffice to say that there is a large percentage of "blokes in a dress" as one regular puts it. I'm sure you'll meet all of us as we all respond to this thread. I don't shave, I don't wear a wig or falsies or makeup, I don't wear artificial nails or paint the ones I have. I don't consider myself a woman in a man's body, or think that I have two different personalities that alternate in dominance. I don't have a female name for my "other side". I don't want people to think even for a moment that I'm a woman. I don't change my voice or otherwise try to adopt "feminine" characteristics*. About the only thing you could say that slides me a bit along the gender scale is that I'm perhaps more emotionally sensitive and empathetic than most of my non-TG male friends - on the other hand I'm every bit as crude and overcompetitive as they are, too.

Kathi answered much better than I did, and with far less arrogance - we do indeed have all kinds here.

Does that answer your question?

* I put that in sarcasm quotes because I find that a lot of people have this bizarre 19th century idea of what a "real woman" should be like, and they imitate that fictional idealized caricature of a woman rather than anything realistically feminine. Not that there's anything wrong with that (see my avatar pic)
    I kind of relate with Ralph (I don't have either a female name). I don't own wigs or falsies. I probably will and try to go out and do my best to try to pass, just because it would be really exciting to be around dressed as I like.

More of a girl...

I relate more to the feminine than the masculine. Always have, always will. When I dress fully. I am Tracy. What's his name is gone.

Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake
    I enjoy emulating a woman - mostly to blend in, but also because I enjoy it.

[SIZE="2"]An excellent description – enjoyment is the key to the enterprise.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued
    I am a stubborn S.O.B., and have always been inclined to do (or at least try) things I'm told I can't. So if they say a boy can't wear dresses and be pretty, well, them's fightin' words. And why not?

[SIZE="2"]Yes, I agree. Why can’t a boy wear dresses and be pretty? I never do what I’m told…[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky Scot
    Do you wear breast forms when you dress.

[SIZE="2"]Pardon the pun, but if you wear a dress without breast forms it’s all rather pointless…[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    but if you wear a dress without breast forms it’s all rather pointless…

Oh, you are sooo gonna pay for that one....

Definately a Bloke, all be it a pretty at times.

While I agree with many before me that have said that "I feel girly when dressed" I would still concider myself a bloke for all intents and purposes.
    Out'a my mind
    back in 5 minutes
    leave a message!!

Persephone88,

Are you sure you don't have the song "Holy Diver" running through your head? Hmmm. Must've been me.

As for the wicker basket test, try this. Take a big drink of water. Done it? Good. Are you leaking?

Kathi
    I am not leaking, but I do have "Holy Diver" in my head. Maybe I AM Ronnie James Dio! Holy crap!!!

D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My writing thread

Once 'Holy Diver' is stuck in your head, it's a long hard road back home.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    [SIZE="2"]Pardon the pun, but if you wear a dress without breast forms it’s all rather pointless…[/SIZE]
    There are crossdressers out there who do not wear forms when dressed so lets not generalise.

But your response is out of context of why I asked Kathi if she wore them or not. Kathi was saying how when dressed she still presents herself as male even though she chooses to dress in what society determines as female. Hence the question as woman do not wear breast forms.

Xx Vicky xX