Thread: suggestions for a new name?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

suggestions for a new name?

Back when I was chosing a femme name, I just sort of let names percolate through my mind until one "sounded right", and then I added a suffix name as a differentiation. A couple of weeks after I started to use it, I realized that the base name was one of the diminutive (that is, affectionate) forms of my sister's name -- not a form that was used often, but recognizable and still sometimes used by people who have known her a long time.

Now that I have come out to my sister (who has taken it all very very well), she is interested in reading up on some of the sites I have found, as gender issues happen to be of professional interest to her. But she is a bit uncomfortable with the name I chose. Quite understandably.

As 'Tess-Leigh" has been more of an identifier for me rather than being "my real name", although I have gotten rather accustomed to it, it isn't a big deal to me to change it... I just have to think of a new one now.

So I'm asking for suggestions, especially from people who have interacted with me and have a feeling for what I'm like.

The femme last name I use is McKay, which is my family tree; it is a Scottish name that also has Celtic meaning. I don't think I have the personality to adopt a Celtic name directly, but possibly one of the anglicized versions. McKay is derived from the name of a Celtic god whose name in term meant "bright".

I do not wish to use the female equivalent of my male name: privacy / trust issues there.

Thanks!

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Tess-leigh,

Well, I don't know that I have any suggestions, though I am partial to Victoria. Victoria Leigh McKay...how does that sound? One of the nice things about being a tgirl is we can change our names to suit ourselves rather than being stuck with one our parents chose in the hopes of flattering some wealthy maiden aunt or something.

I've thought of changing my name, too, my first name sounds like a dimunitive, but I have used it so long and so many people know me by it that it seems more like my name than my real name does. Did that make sense at all?

Good luck choosing a new name, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

This site lists Irish girls names.

http://www.babynamesofireland.com/pa...names-a-c.html

If you google, baby girls names, you will get all kinds of sites listing female names.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle[/SIZE]

That's gonna be almost as tough as changing your male name. A lot of people know me by Christine, Chris or Chrissie. It would take a while for a new name to stick.

Go with a name YOU like. I picked mine because it is a name both genders use.
    " Don't get in the way of my mood swing !"

Well I might not be the best one to answer - seeing as I have YET to really settle on a name (I have it narrowed down to 2 or 3) but I would say - pick something you like the sound of. pick something that starts with the same letter as your male name so all your monograms match, pick something that means something to you. DON'T pick an old girlfriends name.

Mix and match the above guidance until you find the right one, and try it on for a few weeks to see if it really fits, or if it is just a passing fancy.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    Now that I have come out to my sister (who has taken it all very very well), she is interested in reading up on some of the sites I have found, as gender issues happen to be of professional interest to her. But she is a bit uncomfortable with the name I chose. Quite understandably.
    Quite understandable.

It might make for an interesting connection with your sister, to ask her for an opinion or suggestion, particularly if you ask for her help to tie in the Celtic heritage.
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Hi Tess so you thinking of a new name. ow about Kathleen a fine Irish name meaning Pure, Virginal.
    Angie

B.B.C.D. & D.Q.I.T. Chloe' Buffington's Avatar
    Kaitlyn McKay Meanning Courage and Purity
    Life is too short to not be who you are.

Here are a couple I found;

Meghan- Irish form of Welsh Megan meaning "pearl"
    Meghan Leigh McKay

Caitlin- Irish Gaelic form of old French Cateline meaning "pure"
    Caitlin Leigh McKay

Noreen- Irish pet form of Nora meaning "honor, valor"
    Noreen Leigh McKay

I've always liked the names, Amoeba, Toxic and Lesion.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar
    Quoting a song: Hey, hey Gordon McKay!

Krista McKay
    Kristina McKay
    Tina McKay

Melissa McKay
    Rhonda McKay
    Rhianna McKay

Scarlet McKay
    Susan McKay

Siobhan Shiree McKay
    (You do know correct pronunciation of Siobhan?)

If you like Leigh: Kaleigh Anne McKay

And YOU are one to decide, we are so lucky that WE are the only people (except maybe for adopteds) that get to choose our own name.

Lainie Anne Alynne Nelson

You may even guess my original birth name from it.
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    If I should think in a new feminine name I would choose one with no masculine equivalent like Christine/Christian, Joan/John and so on.

There are hundreds of beautiful and onkly feminine names!
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    I've always liked the names, Amoeba, Toxic and Lesion.
    I've always liked Urethra and Aereola. Sorry, Tess-Leigh, not hijacking the thread just having a little fun.<g>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Banned Read only
    how about yunaleska(you-na-less-ka) kairi(ki-ree), a combination of 2 squire inix r.p.g charactures.

love and kisses
    bethany xxxxxxxx

[QUOTE=Joni Marie Cruz;1782910]I've always liked Urethra and Aereola. Sorry, Tess-Leigh, not hijacking the thread just having a little fun.<g>

Vaggie ???
    " Don't get in the way of my mood swing !"

"Keiva" means "angel" in old gaelic.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/