Back when I was chosing a femme name, I just sort of let names percolate through my mind until one "sounded right", and then I added a suffix name as a differentiation. A couple of weeks after I started to use it, I realized that the base name was one of the diminutive (that is, affectionate) forms of my sister's name -- not a form that was used often, but recognizable and still sometimes used by people who have known her a long time.

Now that I have come out to my sister (who has taken it all very very well), she is interested in reading up on some of the sites I have found, as gender issues happen to be of professional interest to her. But she is a bit uncomfortable with the name I chose. Quite understandably.

As 'Tess-Leigh" has been more of an identifier for me rather than being "my real name", although I have gotten rather accustomed to it, it isn't a big deal to me to change it... I just have to think of a new one now.

So I'm asking for suggestions, especially from people who have interacted with me and have a feeling for what I'm like.

The femme last name I use is McKay, which is my family tree; it is a Scottish name that also has Celtic meaning. I don't think I have the personality to adopt a Celtic name directly, but possibly one of the anglicized versions. McKay is derived from the name of a Celtic god whose name in term meant "bright".

I do not wish to use the female equivalent of my male name: privacy / trust issues there.

Thanks!