Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Date

Blind Date

I have a blind date scheduled for tonight, at a social dance party. We plan to meet at the event, at a suburban reception hall. It would be our first meeting.

So far, all she has seen of me is my writing. And I give good E-Mail.

There has been mixed reaction, up to now, to my clothing style. That has set me to thinking. (A big mistake, I know.)

My general inclination is to dress for fun, in a denim mini skirt, tights, and heels. I like that look, myself.

Then I wonder if my preferred style will be too much of a shock for this unwitting woman.

I could wear jeans, and even flats.

But should I?

I feel much more comfortable dressed up. It is a expression of my personality.

What should I do here?

What do you mean by "There has been mixed reaction, up to now, to my clothing style."? She knows you're a crossdresser? Does she expect you to show up dressed? What is she expecting? Is your "preferred style" as you called it something other than what she's accustomed to?

Details, please!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

AKA Elizabeth, Latin Girl
    I say be yourself. If you can't be who you want to be, then it's not meant to be.

Sorry that I was not more clear.

The mixed reactions have been from various previous blind dates.

The gal I am to meet tonight knows nothing of my clothing style, other than that I like denim outfits. But I did tell her that she would be surprised when we meet.

Just how surprised, is yet to be determined.

I'd not push the envelope that far. If you do, then I'd lay money down that you will be mentioned in some of her future conversations as "All I ever find are losers. One guy even showed up in a skirt and heels!" If she doesn't know you crossdress, then meeting her for the first time while crossdressed is a very bad idea.

[SIZE=1]( I mean, duh! )[/SIZE]

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

SO of Lisa Golightly Deb The Brunette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by latindancer View Post
    I say be yourself. If you can't be who you want to be, then it's not meant to be.
    I'm with the latino lass on this one, get it out in the open from the off I say...

(But hey that's just me ok)

Some people build walls around themselves......not to keep people out
    But to see who cares enough to break them down
    So thanks lisa for taking a bloody great sledgehammer to mine you certainly made short work of it

Loves you Poppet
    x

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This place is filled with posts of those who kept their dressing secret for long periods of time before their SO found out. The best thing to do is out yourself early in the relationship, but I think doing it on the first date may be a little bit too early, you will be lucky if she gets in the car with you.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar

no no no...

it might be floating your boat thinking about it but showing up on a bling date dressed up is not a good idea. Much better if you're determined to broach the subject, to go in DRAB and tell her over dinner. Why be so ' in your face' about it?. If you are on a blind date then I'm guessing you are single and are looking for a relationship? in that case, you will know yourself after 10 seconds of seeing her whether you are interested or not, so in my opinion, don't complicate it by chucking cross dressing into the mix.
    JMHO
    All the best.
    Peace through superior dress sense..

Since you write good emails, magicman, I could suggest you say something to her along the lines of, "I could wear a short denim skirt and 3" heels tonight, or if you would feel more comfortable, I could wear denim jeans and female boots."

She may call off your date, but you will at least have been honest from the start and saved both of you a lot of angst.

If I were you, though, I would simply turn up in the second outfit. Break it to her gently. Give yourself at least the opportunity of having a frank discussion with her about your views on dress, without her feeling too uncomfortable from the start.

You have promised to surprise her. The second outfit will still do that, without scaring her to death!

Good luck. May she turn out to be the woman of your dreams.

Karly in East County kayesimone's Avatar
    How to "be yourself" yet be considerate of others....
    i don't know if i like the idea of shock and awe, personally i like the subtle suggestion idea...believe me, girls will take note of what you are wearing and saying...but to thine own self be true....

Member having fun. Sophia de la luz's Avatar
    If you're going to show up in public, and be associated with this woman at a dance, it is fair to avail her of any intentions you have to dress in the identity of the opposite sex. She can save herself face and step out early, if that's her wish. Or, if she is onboard, you two can really enjoy yourself.
    If you're not going to mention the clothing in advance, I would wear something gender neutral or stick with male garb. That would be the polite and generous behavior to display.
    I always like it when people are polite and generous with me.
    Love will find its own way through.

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I don't think turning up dressed on a first date is a good idea.
    living the dream

parkbench just outside hells gate near enuf to airport to take off...finally the parkbench has wings
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole Cross View Post
    I don't think turning up dressed on a first date is a good idea.

I am with you carole,
    what carole said

from a GG's stance even on a first date,and it being a blind date, .....
    (ok I knew from the outset as my partner told me straight up, it didnt bother me, took him by surprise, )
    but however ,...I would think talking about who you are, how you are is a better way, of getting to know you and her, is easier then arriving dressed then you will find out, if shes the woman of your dreams,
    is this not how on dates, blind or otherwise get to know who each of you are,.. before launching into something that perhaps may scare a potential partner off by turning up dressed on a blind first date,...laffing now my wicked sense of humour would be ..... that you are blind,.. not yer date...

good luck magickman

I agree with Carole too.

IMO--nice fantasy, bad reality--for a first date. If you want to see her again, you might consider telling her later in the date, or some other time.

What is she wearing? You may wish to coridinate your outfits.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

You want to ruin it in the first 30 seconds??!!!??? Show up dressed and I'd be willing to bet BIG money that by the 60th second you'll be dateless. Save face and don't do it. IF you get a second date with the lady try to bring it up then.
    Just 22 years of marriage AND my $.02 speaking.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
    Joni

The short version of the story is that, after much consideration, I went to the dance dressed, and my date didn't show up. This is twice she has bailed on me. I'll get a different date next time.

More tomorrow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophia de la luz View Post
    If you're going to show up in public, and be associated with this woman at a dance, it is fair to avail her of any intentions you have to dress in the identity of the opposite sex.
    Several in this thread have made this mistake. Remember from Magickman's prior posts that he does not make any attempt to look female. He wears skirts, heels, and sports nice nails... as a man.

Quote Originally Posted by clayfish View Post
    Since you write good emails, magicman, I could suggest you say something to her along the lines of, "I could wear a short denim skirt and 3" heels tonight, or if you would feel more comfortable, I could wear denim jeans and female boots."
    I can't believe what I read here sometimes. Ask a blind date what you should wear? Are you effin' kidding me? I can't think of a way to chase a woman off quicker than to be so spineless.

Women will respect a man with strong will; a man who doesn't cower in the corner worrying what other people think of him... even if he's weird. They don't respect weakness and indecision.

I have to agree if the woman doesn't know you as a crossdresser then don't wear women's clothes on your first meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    All I ever find are losers. One guy even showed up in a skirt and heels!

This sound like a future book title with you as the worst date ever.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post

I can't believe what I read here sometimes. Ask a blind date what you should wear? Are you effin' kidding me? I can't think of a way to chase a woman off quicker than to be so spineless.

Women will respect a man with strong will; a man who doesn't cower in the corner worrying what other people think of him... even if he's weird. They don't respect weakness and indecision.
    I suppose he has the right to dress in any fashion he desires.Personally if my blind date showed up in a skirt,heels and 5 o'clock shadow,he'd be dancing alone or with someone other than me. It would be like me showing up wearing moose antlers and a tail. I am not trying to fool anyone into thinking,nor do I want to be a moose, just my preference. Nothing wrong with with the way he dresses or how he wants to present. it's not something you see everyday, I don't think that a heads up is asking too much. Just as he has the right to decide what he wears she has the right to to decide if she would be comfortable with it.
    A woman my respect a man who doesn't cower, but they also respect a man who is courteous and understands and realizes that while there is nothing wrong with dressing in a certian way, it is not something that you see everyday, and that not everyone would be comfortable with it.
    Walking around with the attitude that I don't care what anyone thinks is fine,but right now you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Why take it out on someone who would like the chance to go out with you? Having to assert one's manliness 24/7 sort of seems defensive...Like you have something to prove. Being kind and caring won't take away from your manhood,more likely to enhance it.............. just my
    Kel
    Last edited by kellycan27; 07-12-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by Magickman View Post
    Sorry that I was not more clear.

The mixed reactions have been from various previous blind dates.

The gal I am to meet tonight knows nothing of my clothing style, other than that I like denim outfits. But I did tell her that she would be surprised when we meet.

Just how surprised, is yet to be determined.
    LOL sorry I shouldn't laught but poor woman is going to get the shock of her life. I think it might have been wise just to let her know before you meet.
    Your obviously a very confident person and I admire you greatly, you will have to let us all know how things turn out.
    Take care
    Bev

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    Walking around with the attitude that I don't care what anyone thinks is fine,but right now you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder
    I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem getting that chip knocked off...

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    Ask a blind date what you should wear? Are you effin' kidding me? I can't think of a way to chase a woman off quicker than to be so spineless.

OH I'm sorry, I always though that was being just plain Polite.

Forget skirts and heels for a minute.
    You wouldn't ask a date what to expect to wear?
    Showing up in jeans and t-shirt isn't going to cut it going out for a nice dinner the same way a suit and tie doesn't work for apple picking.

And to the OP -
    Fully femme or just a man in a dress........
    It really doesn't matter - but for F*** sake that is something you just don't spring on someone!

It doesn't matter how comfy you are wearing what your wearing.
    Try and think of the other person for once!
    Because it sounds like you have done this very thing before.

Maybe you wouldn't need to date so much if you showed up to the first date wearing pants once in a while.

Why is common sense not such a common thing these days.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 07-13-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Language
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    I'm developing a sore neck from shaking my head in disbelief.

If you're going to open with this girl the honourable and courageous thing would have been to tell her in your emails.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Very interesting but I think it all really depends on how you feel. This thread is already filled with great advice but ultimately it's up to you to decide.

Personally, I would never have shown up for a first date in drag, but it is something that I reveal about 3 weeks into the relationship. Women can be very accepting but this is something that they are likely extremely clueless about. If you give them some leeway they are (probably) more likely to be fine.

Whatever you decide, be confident and let us know how it went down.