Thread: Giving Yourself "Permission" To Be Transgendered...

Giving Yourself "Permission" To Be Transgendered...

Like most of the ladies here on this Forum, it has taken me the better part of my life to fully accept the fact that I am a crossdresser and to actually be comfortable with that realization. For many years, I struggled with this inescapable truth, staying buried deep within the closet and not wanting to be labeled as being one of those "weirdos" that everyone would laugh and point fingers at if they ever found out.

Thank God that both society and I have moved forward to the point where I can be "me" without feeling any guilt or shame over it. The world has become much more accepting of diversity and the GLBT community as a whole over the last 20 years or so, and this has coincided with the explosive growth of the Internet which allowed us transgendered folk to connect with one another and realize that we were far from being alone.

My own epiphany came about 5 years ago when I was in my mid-50's and I finally gave myself "permission" to be "Leslie" and fully embrace my feminine side. I am now at the point where my female wardrobe far outnumbers my male equivalent and I have been out and about in public on many occasions since then, freely interacting with other GG's while having yet to experience a negative encounter. Needless to say, I am enjoying this new-found freedom immensely and wonder why it took me this long to achieve such peace of mind.

So my question to the other ladies out there who were also once in my situation - at what point did you have your own personal "Aha!" moment when you fully embraced your feminine side with no further regrets or guilt?

I'm not talking about when you first "came out" to others, which is a whole other struggle. I'm talking about the inner peace you achieved when you first realized that this is truly who/what I am, that no amount of self-blame will change that, and that I need to come to grips with that fact before I go stark raving mad?

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    My female wardrobe has dwarfed my male wardrobe for many, many years. Self-acceptance happened long ago back in the mid-eighties. At that point I embarked on a journey of self-discovery.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Somewhere in the last 3 months, I couldn't tell you the "Aha!" day. For me it was like coming up to a locked door. Sometime in April, it unlocked, and I found myself on the other side in June.
    Life is simple math: Expectations - Realisations = Disappointments.
    Tell ya what... I won't be too easily annoying, if you won't be too easily annoyed!
    Blogging | Twitter | Google+ |
    Acceptance comes in asking yourself the questions... and not caring what the answers are.

For me it was a couple years ago when my wife passed. The kids are adults, one grandson, and I'm fast approaching retirement. I have held this for a long time and now I have turned it loose. As they say grab the reins, put you boots in the stirrups firmly and hang on. Wooo Hoooo. lol Seriously though it has been fun and now I'm looking for the future and where this will take me.

Teri

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I beleive that I have really come to accept myself as Transgendered. It doesn't me that I'm coming out yet but I do feel like I can understand and accept myself.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Silver Member
    To be honest I am not sure when my exact Ah ha moment was, it just kind of sneaked up on me and all of a sudden I didn't feel guilty any more and felt really good about me and what I do, good question though because I do feel incredibly different about my dressing now than I used to do and that means I can enjoy it more without the monkey on my shoulder

It was a day in 1996. I bought a pair of sandals and told the sales lady that they were for me and wanted to try them. That day I gave myself permission to be myself.

I've always been good with it.
    Angie

Actually it was when my Father died. Nothing against him whatsoever but I felt freer and was determined to come out. I don't regret a single minute of it!
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Crossdressing 2000... went 24/7... Transsexuality 2005.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I don't know if I'm quite there yet (e.g., I'm still concerned about my job and what would happen if I went open there), but as I wrote in a recent thread, in the last month I have come out as CD/TG to all the "important" people -- GP, sister, mother, best friend. I'm not sure exactly why I did so... so tired of hiding it. In part, getting "validation" that I'm not getting at home -- my wife seems to be on a "What will other people think?" kick (especially about my nails)... well, I talked to the key "other people" and they are at the very least tolerant and semi-understanding, up through to quite accepting.

I'm really feeling the need to get out of my cage of isolation, of not having friends, of not being part of the city "community". I don't mean that I want to dive into the CD / TG community: I'm known to tens of thousands of people over the computer networks, but I'm a stranger- they- recognize to the people who live across the road or live two houses away and I'm a no-body to nearly all of the rest of the city.

But when I cross-dress or go out "gender-bending"... I somehow become "somebody", someone people find interesting and find they like and welcome back. Body language? Just the fact that I smile? I think it's more than that... "Tess" has permission to talk to people, permission to be noticed, permission to accept compliments, permission to ask people questions about themselves, permission to be happy.

There's a boutique in the mall near my place. I went in a couple of times a few years ago to buy things for my wife (I swear -- I'm talking about before I knew I was a cross-dresser... though mind you somehow I did end up trying it on "to see how it looks"...) I got the real "What are you, a male, doing in this store?!" look from the female co-owner. I avoided the store for years even when I was looking for things for my wife. But a couple of months ago, they advertised an "everything must go" liquidation sale, as if they were closing down, so I figured I'd go in anyhow, figuring they'd rather sell the remaining merchandise than be picky about who the sold it to. The male co-owner helped me without difficulty, the woman didn't have much to do with me. Turns out to be an extended moving sale... they know they have to move to a different store in the mall but they haven't been told which yet. So I've gone sometimes since then. The second time, the woman co-owner helped find some things for me. A few more visits, being myself, shopping for myself. The last time, the male co-owner saw me in the hall and waved me in, just to chat, no concern about whether I was buying that day or not; the female co-owner had no concern at all about me being there and I was included as a full participant in the three-way conversation.

The point? I expected opposition but I gave myself permission to go in there regardless of what they might think... and now, a handful of visits later, I'm a "come by and visit with us" customer. Permission to be -me-, permission to get to know other people.

And if I can learn how I manage do it while I'm cross-dressed or TG, I can learn how to do it "all the time" -- to be somebody in "everyday life", no matter how I am dressed, no matter what activity I am engaged in.

Not that I plan to give up cross-dressing... indeed, if my marriage does fall apart, I plan to dress visibly around the yard (including front yard) and in the very local stores -- places were people might not know me by name but know me by sight, maybe even know where I live. The fence I'm getting put up now is extra-tall so that when I'm at liberty to invite over people of my choice, that I can be one of the hosts of the social events without the shy people being worried about being seen.

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    I don't know if I'm quite there yet (e.g., I'm still concerned about my job and what would happen if I went open there), but as I wrote in a recent thread, in the last month I have come out as CD/TG to all the "important" people -- GP, sister, mother, best friend. I'm not sure exactly why I did so... so tired of hiding it. In part, getting "validation" that I'm not getting at home -- my wife seems to be on a "What will other people think?" kick (especially about my nails)... well, I talked to the key "other people" and they are at the very least tolerant and semi-understanding, up through to quite accepting.

I'm really feeling the need to get out of my cage of isolation, of not having friends, of not being part of the city "community". I don't mean that I want to dive into the CD / TG community: I'm known to tens of thousands of people over the computer networks, but I'm a stranger- they- recognize to the people who live across the road or live two houses away and I'm a no-body to nearly all of the rest of the city.

But when I cross-dress or go out "gender-bending"... I somehow become "somebody", someone people find interesting and find they like and welcome back. Body language? Just the fact that I smile? I think it's more than that... "Tess" has permission to talk to people, permission to be noticed, permission to accept compliments, permission to ask people questions about themselves, permission to be happy.

There's a boutique in the mall near my place. I went in a couple of times a few years ago to buy things for my wife (I swear -- I'm talking about before I knew I was a cross-dresser... though mind you somehow I did end up trying it on "to see how it looks"...) I got the real "What are you, a male, doing in this store?!" look from the female co-owner. I avoided the store for years even when I was looking for things for my wife. But a couple of months ago, they advertised an "everything must go" liquidation sale, as if they were closing down, so I figured I'd go in anyhow, figuring they'd rather sell the remaining merchandise than be picky about who the sold it to. The male co-owner helped me without difficulty, the woman didn't have much to do with me. Turns out to be an extended moving sale... they know they have to move to a different store in the mall but they haven't been told which yet. So I've gone sometimes since then. The second time, the woman co-owner helped find some things for me. A few more visits, being myself, shopping for myself. The last time, the male co-owner saw me in the hall and waved me in, just to chat, no concern about whether I was buying that day or not; the female co-owner had no concern at all about me being there and I was included as a full participant in the three-way conversation.

The point? I expected opposition but I gave myself permission to go in there regardless of what they might think... and now, a handful of visits later, I'm a "come by and visit with us" customer. Permission to be -me-, permission to get to know other people.

And if I can learn how I manage do it while I'm cross-dressed or TG, I can learn how to do it "all the time" -- to be somebody in "everyday life", no matter how I am dressed, no matter what activity I am engaged in.

Not that I plan to give up cross-dressing... indeed, if my marriage does fall apart, I plan to dress visibly around the yard (including front yard) and in the very local stores -- places were people might not know me by name but know me by sight, maybe even know where I live. The fence I'm getting put up now is extra-tall so that when I'm at liberty to invite over people of my choice, that I can be one of the hosts of the social events without the shy people being worried about being seen.
    Thank you for sharing your feelings so eloquently, tess-leigh, especially since they mirror my own in so many ways.

For me, the biggest hurdle has always been the "what will people think?" syndrome, and this continues to be amply reinforced by my wife who lives in constant fear that I might embarrass not only myself but also our entire family if I ever got "busted".

And truth be known, she works in a very conservative environment where most of her peers are 50-something women who have always led very traditional lives. They invariably married straight out of high school and had been socially conditioned to being - first and foremost - the dutiful wives, mothers, and recipe-swapping homemakers, who, if they worked at all, settled for low level jobs rather than careers and generally played second fiddle to their spouses. Add to that having spent all of their lives in a small town, they represent the last vestiges of the "Father Knows Best", "Leave It To Beaver" generation which is now just about as quaint and out-of-date as buggy whips and tub-style washing machines with hand wringers.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful in saying all this, but the fact remains that this is not the type of demographic which will turn out for Gay Pride parades or be die-hard Boy George or Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen DeGeneres fans. And as for accepting the concept of crossdressing or transgenderism - fuhgeddaboudit. I guess what I am saying is that it irritates me immensely at times when I see my wife's thinking being influenced by such social conservatives who know nothing of our world and being made to feel ashamed or guilty about who and what I am as a result.

Like many on this Forum, I have been out in the "real world" for some years now, and it has proven to be nothing like that at all (at least not in a big city environment). I have invariably been treated with dignity and respect when out and about en femme, and if anything, the GG's (especially the SA's) whom I have interacted with have been both intrigued and supportive by what I represented, rather than be repulsed by it. I would even go so far as to say that they probably treated me with more courtesy, respect, and extra-special consideration than their regular female patrons because they got a "kick" out of dealing with an individual such as myself (the "Bad Boy" effect?).

As I reported in a separate post last week, I had a most wonderful first-time makeover experience with a GG who normally does the usual bridal/prom/portrait etc. makeovers but was genuinely delighted to have the opportunity to work with a transgendered person like myself. We hit it off extremely well from the git-go, and are both eagerly awaiting my next available opportunity for such a makeover. And guess what? - She lives in the same small town, but being younger, more urbane, well-travelled and consequently much more open-minded, is far more accepting of the type of diversity that "Leslie" represents.

THAT to me represents the wave of the future, and is one of the reasons why I have begun to give myself "permission" to be who I am without worrying about what the anal-retentive "dinosaurs" who cling to outmoded concepts of sex and gender might think of me.

And, as you have pointed out so well - once people actually make the effort to get to know us, they soon realize that we are just like anyone else except for that extra little "quirk", and there is no need to hide the young children or the horses for fear that we might frighten them as in the early days of the automobile.

You and me both - when I think of the money I have thrown away on getting rid of clothes and make-up. I am now very happy as a CD and I enjoy wearing womens clothing as often as I can.

I have been going out since I was 13. I knew who I was and I just lived it.

Love and Hugs

It has been a very gradual process for the past 55 (yes fifty-five) years. There has been no single defining moment just many small steps.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Aspiring Member
    It has taken me quite a long time to come to grips with my Being a Transsexual, but it was about 6 or 7 years ago that i came to the conclusion that it was here to stay, and that i should have been born female.

I too was not able to come out fully due to my Job. I live in a very conservative part of Ontario, where people are very narrow minded and not accepting. I owned a business that i was concerned about, so had to stay well inside around home, although I was fully out when i was at least an hour from home.

I have not bought any male clothes now for well over 5 years, and my Denise wardrobe outnumbers my other one by at least 10 to 1.

That is about to change in less than 2 weeks. I will be moving 24 July, so when i was packing i got rid of all my Guy Suits and shirts that i had including a lot of slacks. Only kept a couple of pair in case of need. Now if I have to go some where that i need a suit, i will have little choice but to wear one of my nice ladies, skirt suits, as that is all that i have left.

Not only am I moving on the 24 July, but that is my big day, as I will be coming our full Time as Denise that day, and when i move into my new home, it will be as Denise

Looking so forward to it;

Denise

In my introduce yourself post i know i came off as very unsure as to what this meant, why was i doing these things and what not. This was like im sure most people based on the social definitions. While im still figuring things out i think i can safely say that i am transgendered / in wrong body... however one would say it.

i've spent a great deal of time running through these forums and it has helped signifigantly with self acceptance. while i am in no position to actually do something about it with any permanance i feel ok about it. actually feel better and relieved that i'm not a random lunatic (no offense meant to folks by that statement).

for me it was when i found this site and signed up to it. i know i'm not alone and that along with the experiences of others have changed how i see things very quickly. is very comforting to finally have some form of identity for myself as i've spent most of my time and life in an identity crisis. will probably be in the closet for awhile if i ever come out but there is truth in the knowledge is power or freedom statement. my lower back pain has even all but dissapeared.

For me, it was last fall when I came across a hypnotist selling MP3s online, Isabella Valentine. I had just learned that there was a such a thing as "erotic hypnotisim" and found her while searching the subject. I was surprised at her content and immediately got hooked. I started with some "pantyboy tracks," but got hooked on her "Gender Transformation" title. After the first listening, I woke up im the middle of the night repeating to myself. "you are a girl."

I recently bought her "Gender Transformation 2." That one is really powerful. I can't go more than a day or two without listening to it, I like it so much. It's a good thing that a person has the ability to resist hypnotic suggestions if it's something they would never do. Or I'd have a butterfly tattoo right now. As it is, after listening to it, I immediately bought a body shaver and have started using Secret deodrant. At work, I'm constantly thinking about myself as a girl in disguise. It was Isabella's recordings that first got me on my goddess kick too.

I have some recordings from other hypnotists that deal with gender transformation which I found on the Web, but hers are the best. I've spent at least a thousand dollars on clothes and skin care products since last fall because of her and am the most happy with myself than I think I ever have been before. I'm dressing every day after work and before work most days for an hour or so too. Even more on the weekends and I love it. I don't go out dressed and except for a few webcam GG friends, no one knows about my hobby. But I can't get enough of it now and even think I'm becoming more attractive in my male persona now too.

OK. You asked for it! You got it!
    (This is the condensed version. The whole story would take a lifetime to explain.)

The moment I lost my business to greedy partners,lost my oldest daughter & grandson to one of my partners son's, almost lost my wife due to an overdose of pills that she took because of what was happening ( in a 24 hr period of time).....it was at this time that I realized that whatever controls I thought I had in the whole scheme of things were just an illusion. I came to the discovery that I simply controlled nothing! Everything was going to happen weather I wanted it to or not!

I was, as you say "at the brink of madness"!!

Because I was a this "brink", ready to explode, I was able to think clearly for the first time in my entire life.

I found that in order to move forward I needed to look back into the past. Not to point a finger and place blame but to find out where I came from, how I got here and where I was going. So I looked back and I learned that the only times I really felt comfortable and safe was when I was wearing female clothes. In fact ,at all of the times of stress and uncertainty in the past I had always sought the comfort of these clothes as a kind of coping mechanism . I didn't know why at the time. All I knew is it worked for me!

I have always believed that I should always control my desire to be a who I am supposed to be and conform to what the world expected of me to be. To be a husband. A father. A hard worker. An example to others. I thought that if I do all these things that my desire would ( Not go away. I knew that wasn't going to happen because it is a part of me.) be controllable .

Then everything fell apart in an instant! (Murphy's law) Standing on the "brink" I looked back and found the only coping mechanism that worked and embraced it.

I spent the next five yrs helping my wife get her health back because her overdose had produced numerous blood clots, which required many trips to the hospital and lots of medication. We lost all contact with our oldest daughter and grandson. ( Occasionally a friend of mine would see her in a store but she always acted as if she was afraid to talk to them. )

I told my wife about my desires ,and for a time she seemed to be Ok with it.My youngest daughter was very supportive but my son started to drift away. He spent more and more time at his friends homes until finally he stopped coming home at all. When he did come home it was usually accompanied by arguments and confrontations.

I made changes to my appearance slowly, over many yrs, as to not upset anyone. But eventually those changes started to impact my marriage. Our sexual relationship , which had always been strong and fulfilling, disappeared all together. Not because we didn't want to but because it just stopped feeling right. And for a time we were both Ok with that too. At least we were still together.

I was working out of my home as a self employed computer technician. Clients that I had when I was a part of my previous computer company quickly found out where I lived and continued their business relationship with me, regardless of how I looked. But my business was struggling but I needed to be there to look after my wife.

I tried to stay close with my youngest daughter by dragging her along on service calls. Teaching her about troubleshooting. She was a quick learner and soon was helping me with network installations.

I tried to immerse myself in my work in order to conceal how miserable I felt about the direction my marriage was taking. My wife and I stopped sleeping in the same bed any more.

Thinking back. I probably missed the signs that my wife was looking else where for sex. Now it makes sense that almost every time I went out on a service call, her now boy friend, would show up at the door for a visit. I thought, at the time, that he was just a "friend of the family" because he would often take my son fishing and doing manly stuff.

Then came the fateful day when my wife said these words,"When I look in your eyes I don't see YOU anymore."

I knew my marriage was over.

I got on the phone and called my parents. I told them that I needed a place to stay for a little while to work things out. I hopped a greyhound the next day and headed northeast to Virginia. I was in such a hurry to get out of there that I totally forgot that I hadn't seen my folks in 10 yrs and they had no idea about my appearance.

When my mother came to pick me up at the bus station she walked right by me. The total confusion and anger that erupted afterward classic "what the @#$&"!!

My dad, quickly disowned me.I don't blame him for that.
    My mother still remains in denial. I tried to explain to her about my cding in secret as a child.But she doesn't believe me.

Instead of staying with my parents I was quickly pawned off onto my older sister, who happens to be a Sargent Major in the military. ( We both entered the army back in 79. She made a career of it. I didn't.) We were fairly close growing up so I didn't mind.Her husband, also military, was a nice person.But is very traditional so having me around, I could tell, made him quite uncomfortable.

I quickly found the first job I could get in VA. Working on a garbage truck. that lasted about 2mths til the hydraulics on the truck broke and the last hired first let go rule applied.

I didn't want to get back into computers again. So I took a job working with violently mentally disabled people. My first day on the job I got my nose broken by a client. But I didn't quit. Much to my employer's surprise.

One day my son called me and told me he wanted to come to VA and live with me for a while so I quickly rented an apartment for us. We got along a little better and, although he was still confused about the whole dressing like a woman thing, he seemed a lot more supportive. His school grades even got better and he finally graduated from high school, thanks to the repeated talks with my older sister.

Contact with my youngest daughter was accomplished with frequent phone calls and instant messaging over the internet. I talked to my wife on occasion to see if she was doing Ok. I sent as much money as I could back to TX to help my wife and daughter out with bills, often causing my own cupboards to be completely bare of food. My son didn't seem to mind though , even if it meant eating flour & water pancakes on a regular basis. I even picked up a small dog from the local human society so I had some company on my evening walks through the hilly streets of the small town we were in.

After a year I decided to try heading back to upstate new york , to familiar ground where I grew up. My son decided to stay in VA because he had a girl friend and a good job. I wanted to make a quick stop in Binghamton to visit my oldest brother's grave. He died in a motorcycle accident two weeks after I got married. I'd never been there since. But when I got there I couldn't remember where which cemetery he was buried in. That's when the depression hit me hard! I had started to have suicidal thoughts! I quickly checked myself into the nearest emergency room for help because I couldn't stop crying! (Maybe that was because I never really came to terms with my bother's death. And no body in my family ever wanted to talk about it. They just seemed to forget he ever existed.) After talking with a student psychologist I felt better and was released.

I decided it was time to head back Texas and see if there was anything left to salvage of my marriage.
    I called my wife and asked her if it would be Ok to come home.I told her I wasn't expecting anything from her and I would help her out financially until I was able to get an apartment there. She had just started working and had purchased a new car. My youngest daughter had dropped out of high school, which I wasn't to happy about.

When I arrived back at home in TX the house was a totally filthy, garbage everywhere!My daughter gave me a big hug but the most my wife could muster was an awkward quick kiss on the cheek. I could feel the distance between us. (Don't get me wrong. I'm not a "clean freak", although my daughter would dispute that. I just like a clean & tidy house.) I ignored the mess on the first day. Then I spent the next 3 days cleaning and scrubbing.

I quickly got employment at the same company that my wife was working at.

We looked around in town of an apartment to cut down on the commute to work. We found a nice duplex. It looked like two apartments that shared a kitchen. I agreed to pay for rent and utilities. Which took the good majority of my pay. But it was a better and safer neighborhood. Not like the gang infested one that we had come from.

My wife seemed happy. I concentrated on rebuilding a friendship with her because that's all she seemed to want from me. The boy friend seemed to be keeping his distance during this time.

Six months later my son showed up. He was home sick. I gave up my room and settled for sleeping on the couch.

It seemed like everything was coming back into place. I was getting my family back. (But still no contact from my oldest daughter or grandson.)

One day my wife got a phone call from her parents. He older brother had passed away. She flew back to new york state for the funeral. I stayed behind with the kids.

When she returned I tried to comfort her as best as I could but I could feel the distance starting to grow again between us. Her brother and her were very close growing up and I knew how much she was hurting because I had felt the same way when my own brother passed.

Then suddenly my son's attitude took a turn for the worst. He started falling back into his old pattern of disappearing for weeks at a time.He didn't want to talk to me, no matter how hard I pressed , to find out what was wrong!

Even my youngest daughter started behaving different.

I tied my best to hold every thing together and it seemed to be work for a little while until the day my son decided to borrow the wife's new car for a joy ride! I was at work at the time. My wife had given him the keys because he said he had to get a cd of his out of the car. she quickly called the police and had him arrested for grand theft auto!

She showed up at my job to tell me about it. I blew up at her and started shouting, "My god ! What have you done?!!" All I could think about was my son locked up in a jail cell. I'd been in prison before so I knew what happens there!

The next day, after I calmed down, I convinced my wife to drop the charges. I explained to her that even though what he did was wrong, and he does need to pay for it, by giving him the keys it doesn't make sense to try and prosecute him. You don't have a case. She reluctantly agreed. I never realized how much the car meant to her. I never drove it. But I was thinking on the scale of importance that a son well being should out weigh that of an automobile.

We called the DA's office to drop the charge. Unfortunately it was the weekend and the DA's office doesn't open til Monday. On Monday we were told that the charge can't be dropped til the case finds it's way to his office, which could take a while.

For thirty days my son called home pleading with us to get him out. Telling us how scared he was, how many fights he had been in and that all the other inmates wanted was to have "sex " with him! I could here the fear in his voice. I ried to reassure him that we working on getting him released as soon as possible. As each day pasted I could tell that he was getting to the point where he didn't believe that anymore.

Finally after a month a very angry young man came home. Almost immediately the arguments started. First between him and his mother and then with his sister, who quickly jumped into the fray to defend her. I tried ,to no avail, to explain to my son that what he did was wrong but his response was to try to put the blame on someone else besides himself.

He started his usual pattern of taking off to stay at a friends for weeks at a time again. He started drinking. When he was drunk he would call home to tell us how miserable his life had become and play the blame came again.

My wife was, understandably, very upset with his attitude.

Another month passed and my son came home to visit. I could smell the alcohol on his breath. My wife and daughter quickly leave the room, as if they know what is coming.

I knew he was drunk but he said he wanted to talk. I could tell he was severely depressed so I thought that maybe having a conversation with him might help.

So we talk.

Big mistake!! He knows exactly what button to press to set me off!

He makes a disparaging remark about my long dead brother!!!

The next thing I know I'm picking up a chair and throwing it out of the way from between us! My fists are clenched and I immediately put up my dukes !

"You better take that back or I'm going to beat the living hell out of you!!!"

All he does is look at me and smile! He came here to fight! He wanted to take out his frustrations on me! And I am doing exactly what he wants me to do!

Now let me draw you a picture.

(This is certainly not a good father and son moment.)

There I am. All 140 lbs.At 6 ft 1 inch. I'm as scrawny as a broom stick. My daughter tells me if i lose anymore weight I'd disappear. There would be nothing left but my boobs! I'm standing there in an defensive posture waiting for him to take a swing at me!

My son is about my height,maybe a little taller,but he's around 225 lbs. He 's been taking steroids and pumping iron for years. And he's standing there, with his hands down, and a big shit eating grin on his face! Waiting to see what I'm going to do?

I let my anger get the best of me and tried to bring him down with a single round house kick to the head. But he could see it coming from a mile away and grabbed my foot as it came up with a single hand!

Next thing I know I'm flying ten feet across the room!

My head hits the cement floor and for a moment I start to lose consciousness!

He's standing over me now! With that smile still on his face!

I think to myself, "No @#&$ing way am I going to pass out!! I'm not staying down! Not like this!! And, definitely NOT BY HIM!!!"

I shook off the pain in my head and quickly stood up!

Up goes my fists again!

A swing and a hit! I nailed him right on his chin with everything I've got!

Nothing. He didn't even flinch! Now he's not smiling anymore.

Yeah. Now he's standing there laughing at me!!!
    "Do you know how stupid you look?" he says.

Jesus Christ!! I haven't got any strength at all! I am a woman now!! (What a totally bizarre way to find that out!)

My wife & daughter here all the commotion and come running into the room.

Ok, I think to myself, I haven't got the strength but I've still got the speed! So I hit him in the face a few more times! This time I cut him on the cheek!(Hurray for me.)

He's not laughing anymore now!

"Dad." He says calmly, "If you don't stop (Pause) I'm going to have to hurt you!"

My wife and daughter stepped between us and I put my fists down.

I looked at my son then pointed to the door. "Get out of here.", I said. He opened the door and walked out.

My daughter noticed the blood on the floor. I felt the back of my head, it was throbbing. I must of cut it open when it hit the floor. She tried to convinced me to go to the hospital to have it checked out. I refused and settled for a cold compress and some aspirin for the pain.

I went to work the next day.

At about 10 pm my son showed up to tell me that my wife left for good. I wasn't surprised . I had a feeling that was coming.

That was almost two years ago.

Today. I'm still here. Still being me.
    My wife and I still see each other from time to time. We talk about the old days. when the kids were little. Before things got so complicated.

She's living with her boy friend now and seems a lot happier. And that's OK with me. I just want her to be happy.

We can both agree on one thing. No matter how hard we tried, WE JUST SIMPLY WERE NOT MEANT TO BE TOGETHER.

My son is living staying with me, we've learned to get along. Next week I promised him I'd buy him a greyhound ticket to travel back to VA. He still loves his girlfriend from there and they want to get married.

I finally got to see my oldest daughter this last Christmas. She's got her PHD in mathematics. And she is currently in the process of getting a divorce from her husband. I can't say that I'm happy or sad about that. I had the opportunity to see my grand children, I have three of them now, but I told my daughter that maybe we should wait til the are old enough to understand things a little better. I don't want to confuse them or cause them harm in any way.

I see my youngest daughter from time to time. She's got a boy friend that I'm not particularly fond of. I feel the need to stay down here in Texas til I am sure she's going to be alright.

Then, I want to move back to Upstate New York, where I grew up. I really miss the change of seasons and the beautiful fall colors.

I feel a tremendous amount of peace now because I have finally come to terms with myself and who I am.

Here's hoping that everybody here can also find the same inner peace but without all the struggle and heart aches that I've had to go through.

Godspeed, y'all.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Any opportunity to wax poetic is a good opportunity says I, says I.

You don't have to read this if you don't want to.

Here's the story so far:

2002: Sitting around, being young with a "niche." I trust them, but that's a mistake. We watch a movie together. It's called "Hedwig and the Angry Inch." I look at John Cameron Mitchell, a beautiful wig on his head, feminine features accentuated by make up, outfits radiant and ludicrous. I love it. I want it. I want to be that way. To shine like that, even if some don't see the glow. Good Lord, I want it...

2003: I tell my sister that I'm bisexual. Tell her that for at least a year now, I've wanted to be as beautiful as the women I see on television. She uses this for herself. Behind my back she tells everyone she can that I'm different. I hear the snickers in the hallways at school; the wicked innuendo of an inevitable rejection. I have to get out of this town.

2004: Almost as if my wish was heard, my father gets a job offer in another state. I secretly keep my motivations, but I say "Yes!" and I cling to the idea of a fresh start. Far far away, no one to know, no one to laugh. A place to hide for a while.

2005: The worst year of my life rounds out with an all around rejection of self. I hate me. In the back of my head, I can hear an old something mocking me. It chortles as I twist in the breeze, unable to cope with my own facelessness. I hate it and myself more every day. I want to hide again, but where can I run?

2006: I drop out of high-school and find myself hopeful. I'm more social than ever. I'm out there and somewhat luminous, if not completely misguided. I'm making a million mistakes. I start flirting like crazy. I don't care about the consequences, because I'm just too stupid to see them charging towards me like a dumptruck.

2007: In a display of total idiocy, I break it off with my long-distance girlfriend. She moves on. I realize I have made a mistake. I rebound, left, right, and bounce off the court. What have I done? I start taking drugs and fantasizing that everything is okay. I make up stories of another life where I'm fine and normal. My differences are placed in the back of my mind for later sorting.

2008: The SSRIs play the back-beat. It's monotonous, but it's music to my hitherto deaf ears. I have been depressed for how long? God, I start getting optimism. I find myself focusing on who I want to be. My feminine side creeps up and wraps its warm arms around me and, for the first time in my life, I start feeling like the person I want to be. Then it shifts. My medication is expensive, I can't afford it. I get switched to something that my mind just doesn't cope with. It makes me dizzy and exhausted. I stop taking it. I start drinking. I'm drunk 3 times a week. I sleep all day. I'm losing...

2009: My family knows what is happening to me. They demand I get help. I promise to stop the substance abuse. A promise I break a couple times, pretty spectacularly, but eventually I break my habits and start trying to become something more. My birthday comes. I'm 21 now... where am I going? I need to be who I am if I'm ever going to break this cycle. I tell my mother who I feel that I am. She hugs me, but she seems distant. My father just says "huh..." and changes the subject. I decide I need some more help. I think I need to feel a part of something. It's time to find a place, even if it's virtual, where I can get a bit of support.

And here I am. Have I accepted who I am, yes. Have I become that person... no, not honestly. Which is why I'm here.

I know that's a bit of a different answer than you may have expected, but I can't lie and say it's something different.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    My moment was in 2001. I had been dressing for years and getting deeper and deeper into what I was becoming. Still I was in denial. I wanted more but was hiding farther back in the closet. The internet had opened a world of contact to me and even with a slow dial-up connection I could view photos and communicate with others. Whenever I traveled I would be sure to take some girl things along with so I could dress in the hotel.

I had come in contact with a group who meet each spring in Las Vegas and I decided I would join them. I put everything I could into my preparation and although I was there for 3 days, I only dressed and went out to a very safe location one time. It wasn't a start, it was a next step, but I still had not accepted myself fully.

On the way home I was listening to a comedy recording on the CD player when something struck me as particularly funny. As I drove down a long isolated streatch of freeway I started to laugh and unlike myself, I couldn't stop. Before long it had turned to sobbing and I had to pull the car over to the side of the road while I finished emptying my emotional reservoir. Finally I was able to drive again and for the next 3 hours I worked out what had happened.

It was still months before I could say it to myself, but I had finally broken down the wall that stood between me and my much more complex inner self. Although it wasn't really an aha! moment, it was a critical point that allowed me to easy into that acceptance necessary to be a full person once again.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Denise01 View Post
    It has taken me quite a long time to come to grips with my Being a Transsexual, but it was about 6 or 7 years ago that i came to the conclusion that it was here to stay, and that i should have been born female.

I too was not able to come out fully due to my Job. I live in a very conservative part of Ontario, where people are very narrow minded and not accepting. I owned a business that i was concerned about, so had to stay well inside around home, although I was fully out when i was at least an hour from home.

I have not bought any male clothes now for well over 5 years, and my Denise wardrobe outnumbers my other one by at least 10 to 1.

That is about to change in less than 2 weeks. I will be moving 24 July, so when i was packing i got rid of all my Guy Suits and shirts that i had including a lot of slacks. Only kept a couple of pair in case of need. Now if I have to go some where that i need a suit, i will have little choice but to wear one of my nice ladies, skirt suits, as that is all that i have left.

Not only am I moving on the 24 July, but that is my big day, as I will be coming our full Time as Denise that day, and when i move into my new home, it will be as Denise

Looking so forward to it;

Denise

Denise, I so admire you for being true to yourself, and for taking such a bold step even at this late stage of your life. But as they say, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life", and now that you are completely sure of what you were always meant to be, it will make this final journey that much easier.

Are you planning on moving a to larger city that is more accepting of diversity and our GLBT community and submerge yourself in it, rather than continue to be subjected to small town narrow-mindedness? Moving closer to either Ottawa, Kingston, or Toronto from where you presently live would certainly be a big step in that direction.

Best of luck in your new life !

Leslie

Permission?

[SIZE="4"]I knew I was a girl by the age of 10, so it wasn't as much an epiphany as an evolution.[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    I started crosdressing around the age of 5 and although I did not know what it was called I knew that I enjoyed doing it. Growing up as I child and until I was 18 I thought that for some reason this was "wrong" and I desperately wanted to be "normal" like the rest of the guys.

After graduating from high school I joined the military thinking this would "cure" me of my strange habit. This was at a time long before the internet so I was unable to communicate my feelings with anyone else. Of course being in the military did not "cure" me of my desire to wear womens clothes. I had to endure 4 long years of being frustrated over not being able to dress.

After leaving the military I resumed my dressing and although I enjoyed it I desperately wanted to stop doing it. It was at this time that I fell in love and got married. Again I thought that surely this would be the answer to my desire to stop the dressing and live a "normal" life. Well this did not work either in fact it made the situation worse as now I had to hide this part of me from a spouse who I was certain would not accept it. For the next 8 years I lived in a state of constant depression and even considered suicide as my only escape from this terrible afliction I had called crossdressing.

At the age of 30 I changed jobs and moved 200 miles away to live in another state. It was at this time that I finally realised that there was no point in continuing to not accept this part of me. I gradually learned to accept that it was not anything that I should hate about myself. When I finally accepted the fact that I was a crossdresser, and this was nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about, my depression ended and I finally felt good about myself for the first time in my life.

That was 30 years ago and now my life was starting to improve although I was in a marriage that was not working. 15 years ago I got out of that marriage. The divorce was not entirely related to my dressing but it was a factor and there was no love between my wife and I. I remain single and now I live a very happy and fullfilling life. I enjoy being a crossdresser and would not want to be any other way.

I am not sure I have had the aha moment yet. I know that it is not going to go away but I have struggled with the frequency of it. There are times when I just dont have the desire to dress. I know I cant go 24/7 because of work and family but I could actually do it more than I do and have not. I have not dressed for almost 4 months and have not missed it that much. I still am very active with friends on the Internet but have not gone out either. So my answer is...I don't know.

BTW this was a very thought provoking question gauging from the responses. Some of them very introspective.

Hugs
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"]Roxanne[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]
    [/SIZE]