Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. Edgar Hoover

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar

J. Edgar Hoover

What do you think about J. Edgar Hoover being a crossdresser?

It's a typical joke-reference about crossdressers.

For me, it's hard to believe that a FBI Director got caught crossdressing.

He was an evil little man one I do not wish to have for a role model.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Sure, I don't want him as a role model either!

But the point is: if a FBI Director such as him probably got caught, do we (closeted crossdressers) really think that we will be able to keep the secret for ever?

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteDuality View Post
    For me, it's hard to believe that a FBI Director got caught crossdressing.
    Anyone can get caught. We all get sloppy sometimes, or mistakenly thing we have more private time than we really do, and then out of nowhere, in walks someone unexpectedly. All it takes is one set of eyes to let out the secret.

Who knows if it was true or not, but anyone of any type can be a crossdresser. Even the FBI director.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Hoover had so much dirt on so many people, I guess he was untouchable.

My understanding is that it is widely regarded as a rumor started by his enemies to discredit him and there never was any hard evidence that he crossdressed. So, at least we don't have him brining our reputation down

Always felt it gave us a bad rep. As usual you hear about all the bad things about him,and then oh by the way he was a crossdresser! I wonder how many of us have already, or will do great things out there.

The other thing with Edgar J Hoover is that he is sometimes used as a negative stereotype for CDs: ans obscure and disturbed person, sometimes paranoid who enjoys doing harm to other people but keeping appearances as a exemplary citizen.

Like Norman Bates... These stereotypes make people think that CDs are disturbed, sick people. I hate these portraits.

Do we have different, more positive crossdressing examples?

Very Little Evidence...

There's very little evidence that J. Edgar Hoover was a CD. There's more circumstantial evidence that he was gay and involved with a fellow FBI agent Clyde Tolson. But we will probably never know.

How the CD thing got started can be read about here:

Did J. Edgar Hoover Really Wear Dresses?
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I totally believe it. The more narrow-minded and finger-pointing someone is, the more likely it is they're a bigger hypocrite than anyone here.

There are plenty of examples.
    Jinny

I don't know about Hoover being a crossdresser, but I understand that he actually was gay. Apparently he persecuted gays - it's assumed to help throw suspicion from himself. Proof - I don't have any, and I don't care enough to get all wound up about it. Plenty to be concerned about in this day and age...

Either way, he's history.

Whatever the case may be, gay or not, crossdresser or not, has anyone seen the cover of the book of illustrator Robert Risko? This is his caracature of J. Edgar Hoover:http://www.amazon.com/Risko-Book-Robert/dp/1580930727#

Banned Read only
    This is what i found on the subject..

journalist Anthony Summers quoted a witness, "society divorcee" Susan Rosenstiel, (who later served time at Riker's Island for perjuring herself in a 1971 case) who claimed to have seen Hoover engaging in cross-dressing in the 1950s; she claimed that on two occasions she witnessed Hoover wearing a fluffy black dress with flounces and lace, stockings, high heels and a black curly wig, at homosexual orgies.

Hoover hunted down and threatened anyone who made insinuations about his sexuality.[34] He also spread destructive, unsubstantiated rumors that Adlai Stevenson was gay to damage the liberal governor's 1952 Presidential Campaign.[34] His extensive secret files contained surveillance material on Eleanor Roosevelt's alleged lesbian lovers, speculated to be acquired for the purpose of blackmail.

Sorry about all that but if you want to read more on it here is where I got it from..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edgar_Hoover
    it starts about half way down the page in the Personal Life Section.. Thought that I would share this.

It's been reported that he did dresss at gay orgies. Unsubstantiated rumors. It for the most part is an urban legend. He never went out in public enfemme. He was gay. He left everything to his long time "friend" when he passed away. But he was not a crossdresser per se.

Gold Member
    the thing that shocked ME was when RuPaul was caught crossdressed.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2bGirly View Post
    I totally believe it. The more narrow-minded and finger-pointing someone is, the more likely it is they're a bigger hypocrite than anyone here.

Interesting remark.....
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

One does wonder about how many crossdressers Hoover had in his secret files.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Aaaaargh!! I can't find it! I use to have a picture that I used in the IXE newsletter that showed Hover in a dress walking with some other guy.

I found it many many years ago. (pre 1999 as I have pdf verions of all after that and its not in any of them) It was black & white. (looked like a photo you would find in a newspaper).

I'll see if I can find & post it.
    You want to wear a WHAT??

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2bGirly View Post

Hmmm, who are you calling a hypocrite?

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonDragon View Post
    Aaaaargh!! I can't find it! I use to have a picture that I used in the IXE newsletter that showed Hover in a dress walking with some other guy.

I found it many many years ago. (pre 1999 as I have pdf verions of all after that and its not in any of them) It was black & white. (looked like a photo you would find in a newspaper).

I'll see if I can find & post it.
    You are right! I've seen that exact photo! I hope you find it.

who cares the mans dead. What ever he was he does not efect my life so ,cd,gay,tv, no one I have ever talked to had said , your a cd well you must be just like Hover. Not one person. So why let it get to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

I read relatively recently that the crossdressing accusation was based on nothing but propagated anyway as an urban legend. Apparently no reputable professional historian can find a shred of evidence to give basis to the rumour. The speculation about his sexuality certainly has a basis in real circumstantial evidence.

It's my understanding that they found hiis "stash" after he passed away, and cleaning his personal efects from his residence

Forget J.Edgar Hoover...

...and let's talk instead about former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani and 9/11 hero who showed exemplary leadership during that crisis. He's also alleged to be a crossdresser, and there's even that famous picture of him in drag to substantiate those rumours.

If he truly is one of us, it doesn't get much better than that in terms of a role model or an ambassador for our community.

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteDuality View Post
    Sure, I don't want him as a role model either!

But the point is: if a FBI Director such as him probably got caught, do we (closeted crossdressers) really think that we will be able to keep the secret for ever?
    Most of us probably should not keep the secret forever. Suppressing secrets does horrible things to a person.

But in reference to your comment about the inevitability of getting caught... you have to remember that Hoover was a powerful, feared and disliked, public servant. Most of us are not important enough for any one outside of our immediate group of friends and family to CARE if we CD or not.

When Joe Smith of Buzzards Bladder North Dakota CDs, no one cares (and so no one investigates) - when Obama CDs - people are interested (and so people try to find out).
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe