Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: voice

voice

Does anyone have any idea's on how to sound more like a girl? I've been practicing but haven't been able to get the right sound yet. thx

this is a tough one

Former Member
    Nothing I try has ever worked. I come off sounding like a guy trying to sound like a girl.......

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    It takes literally months of practice. I know of several TS women friends of mine who had to practice one hour every night for six months before they were able get any real results.

There is no quick fix for this, you have to put the time in and, of course, apply the correct techniques. There are lots of resources on the web for this. Here's an example. Btw ... in case you're wondering, my femme voice is not very good. Being "only" a part-time CDer, I'm too lazy to put the time in.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

There's some stuff on youtube.
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/deepstealth
    And this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWIzpW_X20
    And especially this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/candiFLA

I think the main thing is understanding the differences and then lot's of practice. Try to avoid anything that doesn't feel good, you don't want to damage your voice.
    Last edited by Gerard; 07-19-2009 at 06:41 PM.

as the other girls rightly say,,,there's loads of great stuff on this on the internet, lots of resources and techniques, so hopefully there is a method to 'find' your voice for everyone. The one that worked best for me is to slip into falsetto and bring it down, and then soften off the edges in my voice. But this may not work for everyone! I find that recording yourself and listening back is ace for this sort of thing, it lets you know how you're really sounding. And erm,,,hours upon hours of dedicated practice is required to really get there,,,i'm just too lazy for all of that!!
    flic xxx

Erika, change the things you can change ,accept the things that you can't change and have the wisdom to know the difference.

If you are worried about pitch try voice lessons. But be aware that trying to constantly control the pitch of your voice all the time can be a real pain. It requires a lot of training, conscious effort and doesn't guarantee occasional slip ups won't happen.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

I use the Exceptional Voice CD Series

I use the Exceptional Voice CDs. I practice with them on the way to and from work. The key is to bring your base pitch up a bit (not into the falsetto) and to change the tempo. Women vary the pitch more then men do, so you need to add that aspect too.

It does take a lot of practice, and I am no expert, but do OK. I try and keep the voice out of my chest and try hard not to sound like a gay man. It's not easy.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by TSchapes View Post
    I try and keep the voice out of my chest and try hard not to sound like a gay man. It's not easy.
    Yeah that's what I sound like. I'll have to check some of these tutorials out.
    My flickr.com username: Rebecca Morris! Come say hello

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika_girliegirl View Post
    Does anyone have any idea's on how to sound more like a girl?

A swift kick in the 'nads.

I just ordered the Finding Your Female Voice Pack DVDs from here. http://www.genderlife.com/shop/trans...o/ts-voice.htm Developing a female voice appears to be a slow process and takes a lot of practice. Maybe I'll get lucky and be one of the faster learners, or not.

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    That's the hardest part of your transition.

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    This is my most difficult problem. If some day I learn how to sound more like a girl then I will be the happiest girl in the world.
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    There's some stuff on youtube.
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/deepstealth
    And this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWIzpW_X20
    And especially this:

I think the main thing is understanding the differences and then lot's of practice. Try to avoid anything that doesn't feel good, you don't want to damage your voice.
    Candi's got it right. You'll be amazed at how he can slide his voice, but it takes a lot of practice, and don't forget, not all women have beautiful voices either, so don't expect to have the voice of your dreams. Yes, you'll be able to feminize your voice; but it might not sound exactly as your favorite girl's voice does.
    See his site and all the video's he's done here:
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I find I can get away with it on the phone but face to face I can't pass at all lol

I didn't think it was possible for me to ever pull it off...but I practiced anyway...and CandiFLA's youtube videos really helped...now I get compliments on my voice!!
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

CandiFLA on YouTube was my favorite. Shes so fun too! That was probably the best tutorial on it I've seen, at least me personally, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by flic View Post
    The one that worked best for me is to slip into falsetto and bring it down, and then soften off the edges in my voice.
    This is what worked for me to, but it took a long time before I actually learned to speak using it. At first you might manage a few words before it breaks.

But after months and years that throat-configuration slowly becomes commited to muscle memory.

food for thought

I hear that it's easier to pass in a foreign locale, because the difference between a male and female accent is different depending on where you go...

So if you don't want to travel, learn an accent?

Quote Originally Posted by NickyNamNam View Post
    This is what worked for me to, but it took a long time before I actually learned to speak using it. At first you might manage a few words before it breaks.

But after months and years that throat-configuration slowly becomes commited to muscle memory.
    Yeah, that tends to be a common method. Welcome to the forums btw.

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Sound like girl? I'm just happy to go ten minutes with out breaking wind
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

CandiFLA is the best in the business in my opinion.

Here is a great link for this honey: http://www.tgguide.com/female-voice.htm
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    A swift kick in the 'nads.
    LOL Good one

Voice Advice

Ironically, after reading the posting about how to make voice more femme, I was watching a flick on Showtime called, ' Different for Girls', and in that movie there is a scene in which a transgendered girl is asked by a friend (really more complicated than "friend", watch the movie!) how she changed her voice. She answers quite simply, " I moved it to my head from my chest.....". Well, I thought, "too simple" and then I tried it. WOW! I have a very deep male voice which is a dilema for me. However, after just a bit of practice I am speaking in a much higher register without sounding fake, or like a falsetto, always a problem when I have tried in the past. Give this a try, and good luck!!
    Vicky