Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The suspense of going out in public

Aspiring Member

The suspense of going out in public

I have had the fantasy of going out in public completely dressed. I have only gone out as an adrogenist so far. Fear has kept me in so far. So I am taking baby steps. I get the feeling of like a little kid opening Christmas gifts. When all the gifts are opened then what. I think of the Peggy Lee song "Is this All There Is?" I may have misquoted the title, but the old tymers here should remember it from the sixties.
    And then what happens. I tell myself there is more and that I can do it again. But will it be the same? Who knows. I hope not that the "Thrill Is Gone". That would be a pity. Well first things first. Have to get out and about some day. Dy len

If you've never left your home while dressed, I suggest the first thing to do is to drive around while dressed. Do it after dark, but not too late. Carefully obey all traffic laws.

If you are a little daring, drive to a building complex - the sort where there are doctors and dentist offices. Go while all are closed, and get out of the car and walk around a bit. Don't stray far from the car, and don't do it too late. People driving by will see a lady walking around.

If/when you are extra daring, drive to a strip center with open stores. Park your car, get out and walk around a bit. You're sure to be seen from a distance by people driving by - but won't likely be scrutinized.

Don't forget to bring adequate identification and a cell phone just in case.

I doubt that you will feel like "is that all there is". You are much more likely to feel such a rush that you will anxiously look forward to the next time. The great thing is that there are a "whole world" of experiences out there waiting for you.
    Hugs, Carole

INHO I would pass at going to a business complex when closed, a nice park in the evening sounds much safer to me. My first time out my SO took me for a ride...went for a walk in the park...second time we went for dinner and a movie, prime time on a saturday evening....knees knocked the whole time. Now it is like second nature

Lora

All I want is a world somewhere, a place to wear pretty underwear
    A dress, some makeup, hose and heels
    OH wouldn't it be loverly

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"---Helen Keller

Can I just respectfully disagree with Patty-Fay's idea about going out after dark.
    I suggest you go out in broad daylight in a public and fairly busy place. Shopping centers are good (and you can do some shopping too).
    But a lone woman wandering the streets after dark is vulnerable.
    People may 'make' you in a busy public place, but that's not the end of the world. Far worse things are possible in dark and deserted locations
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Hey I can see Narnia. EVESPANDEX's Avatar
    My first time out (besides going out in the wilds) was a carnival. Have been en femme a couple of times now, and in a few weeks will be going out to the carnival in a tutu! Several thousand people all looking at me; fantastic. I recomend it as an experience because no one cares. It was soon after the second time I told a close gg friend, was shaking like a leaf, but she was great and we've even been shopping together a couple of times.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    If you have read many posts from either myself, or Intertwined, you know we go out dressed all the time. But with a twist! Both of us will look pretty much like a woman from the neck down, but definitely a man from the neck up! No wig and very little, or none, makeup. In my case it is because I am terrible, both with fixing a wig and with makeup. My darling late wife used to do it for me, but now it is just me!

The major point here is that you will be amazed at how little attention is paid to you. Unless you do dress to attract attention, which some CD's do! I walk around crowded malls, go to the P.O. and other places, and hardly draw a second look from most people. If I do get a second look, it is usually accompanied by a smile! The thing that counts is your attitude! If you have good self-confidence in yourself, you will be fine. I know who I am and what I am. I really don't care what others think about the way I dress!! Unless of course they want to compliment me!!

Adopt that attitude, and go where you wish. It is a big world out there, and your clothing choices should not restrict it!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    Can I just respectfully disagree with Patty-Fay's idea about going out after dark.
    I suggest you go out in broad daylight in a public and fairly busy place. Shopping centers are good (and you can do some shopping too).
    But a lone woman wandering the streets after dark is vulnerable.
    People may 'make' you in a busy public place, but that's not the end of the world. Far worse things are possible in dark and deserted locations
    I agree with Ruth. The first time I went out was in broad daylight, and I went to shopping malls. The experience was wonderful, and it did not diminish on subsequent outings. You will thoroughly enjoy yourself, and most people will probably not give you a second glance, as long as you dress conservatively. But don't put yourself in danger by going out late at night by youself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylen View Post
    I have had the fantasy of going out in public.. Fear has kept me in so far.... I think of the Peggy Lee song "Is this All There Is?"... And then what happens. I tell myself there is more and that I can do it again....will it be the same? Dy len

There is only one "first time out" BUT....
    There is also only one "first time going to dinner"
    There is also only one "first time going to the movies"
    There is also only one "first time going shopping"
    There is also only one "first time getting to meet other girls"
    There is also only one,.... well, you get the idea

No matter, that you "went out" once there are so many things to do, it'll take a year or more to do them all.

Get out and get busy girl
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    The first time out go dressed with a GG friend and your confidence will rise for the next time.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar

Baby steps and kids presents

First, keep the after dark for another time. If you are too scared of daylight, and there is no need to be, try dusk-time or even daylight, with an umbrella when it is raining.
    Go where there are people, not necessarily close up, but nearby. The business complex is likely to be empty except for the security cameras and the onlooing camera operators/guards.

Little by little is good in that it extends the pleasures of the first times.
    As far as total exposure, close up, in daylight is concerned, it is not the first time that counts. It is the next time and I assure you that there will never be enough of the next time events

~Samm
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Aspiring Member
    Thank you for all the advice. I will need to pick and choose which of it would fit me best. I have to build my confidence first. Though I am married, my SO has shown no interest in my cd other than to tell me to be careful that my panties didn't show when I was at ball practice. It would be hard to explain to an eleven year old. I really need to work on my make up and voice. Dy len

Hello Dylen!
    The easiest and safest way that I could think of was going out my first time to a gay nightclub/bar. I was not only accepted, but made a few friends and told and received stories. Even there some guys will make comments, but for the most part it will be a confidence building night out. From there I have goner out to lots of other venues, but the gay club first was a great start. Start with a place that will either pay no attention to you or embrace you! The hardest part was getting out of the car in the parking lot.
    Charlie

If you feel like you're ready for it, you should just do it and not worry about 'is this all there is?' I'm sure you'll figure out something to do afterwards. I find that the people who have the best experiences in life just go and do whatever it is they want to, then re-evaluate and figure out what want they want to do next, and then they just go and do it.

Individual
    Perhaps what Patty-Fay meant is to go out in lower-light conditions, but not necessarily in some lonely back alley. I personally recommend low-light for those who are particularly nervous, and (at the same time) heartily endorse public places for the safety they add. One thing we need to learn is how much men can be predators, sadly.

Others have said it before, but the hardest steps are those taken out your own front door. Just a week or so ago, I stepped out the front door in a dense neighborhood in broad daylight and nearly had a heart attack. And then the neighbors drove by... I definitely prefer the evening light in winter months!

Slightly related, for a first time out in the United States, I recommend the oft-given advice to try Halloween. Others will not be nearly as surprised or even interested, but you get to be you. (As an added bonus, it will be dark!)

I have been out for several years on Halloween and yet, leaving the house on a non-costume day was just as nerve-causing, so it only goes away slowly (for me, anyway).

Anyway, in general, I go for late evening events like dinner, where I feel happier about my appearance.

Individual
    At the risk of responding too much to this thread, I just wanted to second the notion of the "queer community"; they tend to be more accepting of CDers, since we are the "T" in "GLBT".

Also, from a practical point of view, if you are particularly nervous, consider the restrooms / lavatories in your outing plans. If possible, look for a restaurant or location with either unisex lavs or single-occupancy / one-holers. This eliminates an entire universe of uncomfortable situations.

Remember, some GGs may feel very threatened to realize that there is a genetic male in their midst in a public loo. You don't want that. Conversely, some GMs may feel very threatened to see a man in a dress in their midst in a public loo. You don't want that either.

I knew so many Tg girls had done the walk before me.....

I was determined not to be chicken.

I walked the length of a small town, and back, calling in a 2 shops on the way, and taking or buying things.

Remember LOTS of girls have done it. Act (as best yu are able) female, looking the part.
    You'll be fine.

Off you go!
    Sonia

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    If you have read many posts from either myself, or Intertwined, you know we go out dressed all the time. But with a twist! Both of us will look pretty much like a woman from the neck down, but definitely a man from the neck up!

The major point here is that you will be amazed at how little attention is paid to you. Unless you do dress to attract attention
    Thank You Stephanie, I've said it before, and I will say it again, "It does not matter what others think about You ! It's what you think about yourself that counts ! "
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Actually your first time out I imagine you will get "The Rush," but that will only make you long for further adrenaline highs. Your "immersion" into your femme persona is still ahead for you.

Somewhere around your fifth or tenth time out, you will start to feel very comfortable with whom you are. The clothes will feel "right." Your mood will be "right." Your perceptions of people and things going on around you will feel "right." That is probably the ultimate high! You get the realization of, "this is me...it's where I belong." I think that's why A LOT OF US ARE ADDICTED, our brains crave the feeling and nothing seems to replace it.

I envy you, it's the start of so many great adventures, if you let it happen! Learn to be tolerant of others when your out there. Learn to be open and accepting. Learn to be ready for the next new idea.

You will have to face some situations that force ambivalence. Example? Can't imagine there's not a Gurl out there who hasn't sooner or later faced a "hit on." You probably will feel flattered, repulsed, and a tad curious(?) all at the same time. learn to consider such things as just a part of your femme-self "growing up." It's scary, but it's all part of The process.

Relax, when you come out The Other End, you will probably be a more complete person, and that ain't bad!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Don't forget your purse. And if you're worried about anyone walking by and blurting out, "Hey, that's so and so....!", a pair of sunglasses helps a great deal.

Now get on your heels and get out there!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    My first time I just went from my house into my car, drove around the neighbourhood and back. Lately I've driven much, much farther. I've still only been out by my house or in an area where no one was around but the wonderful feeling of being out is still there.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

Going out dressed, a whole new world will begin to open up for you. I doubt you will feel like "is that all there is?"

Good Luck and Be Safe

Michelle

First time out

My first time out was on a business trip, I had a good selection of clothes along. Got dress, makeup, wig, & heals. I drove around the parking lot of the lodging complex, exited the car and return to my room. The next time was two evenings later, this time I drove to a fast food resturant, ordered and return to my room. But not making business trips has eliminated any more outings like those.

Everytime is a rush!

Don't forget your "Earth quake bag",,you know just in case drab clothes and don't forget shoes you can run in lol!!