Thread: Number of CD People

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Number of CD People

I have been watching the introductions today since I inserted my own introduction.

I am stunned at how many new introductions there are for just today.

Think about it, there must be thousands of us out there!

When you see people walk by, surely there are several men in the crowd who would much rather be wearing something pretty, but can't.

I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men!
    -Meri

Central Ohio

Single and loving it ;) alexis GG's Avatar
    Hi Meri
    I moved your post here to its own thread as I think it would be an interesting topic for members to discuss
    Long gone

Mice.. I am mouse hear me squeak.. I do think there just has got to be a greater number of cross dresser than shows here.. mostly you have to consider the fact that most guys who have urges to wear something other then regular men wear may not think that wearing that skirt means they are a cross dresser at all.. or those who dress in the name of fetish on a drunken Saturday night at a friends house who's girlfriend is passed out.. then there are those who don't know about this site.. or who just don't care to reach out on the internet.. I would say maybe a tenth of men who can reach out to this or other sites have done so.. maybe even less.. the true number might surprise people.. even those who say they would never wear a dress probably fantasize about it once in their lives... as far as wearing in public and not trying to pass:: I'd love to do that.. just slip a skirt and heels n hose on and not worry about passing... ultimate fantasy for me..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

I agree with Carly, there must be many crossdressing men who never reach out in any way whatsoever, far more, I suspect, than those of us who do.

That said, I would guess that the biggest percentage of those of us who do reach out via the web, would view this as their only avenue of being able to share their love of things femme with others, leaving a relatively small percentage of girls who venture out in public in their finest.

Its no surprise to me that the sighting of a crossdressed man, in a public space, is a rather rare thing (depending where you live, of course). The social taboo attached to our art will prove a difficult one to break down, as it takes an awful lot of courage to leave yourself so wide open to abuse.

I wish I had more courage.........and a better figure.

Stay safe xx

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Chances are very good that you have seen CD's or other Trans folks in opposite sex garb and just not realized it. There are people who "pass" very easily. Not the average for sure, but definitely not uncommon either. Also, try going to a alt friendly place (gay bar for example) and you'll have your "sighting" in no time

Just noticed this thread ... take a quick look:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=111969

They say that statistically (groan) that the CD population is 1 in 10 - I think that this proportion is a little is a bit generous - but there are a lot of us out there!

"A girl can dream and when you cannot dream there is always shopping lol!"

Only thousands? Conservative estimates would suggest hundreds of thousands in the USA alone...
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cassandra2601 View Post
    They say that statistically (groan) that the CD population is 1 in 10 - I think that this proportion is a little is a bit generous - but there are a lot of us out there!
    As long as I know that's right.
    I have read statistics that mention about 10% of the world's population as crossdressers.

Of course it vary in different countries but that seems to be the average.

Not bad...isn't it?
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by meri View Post
    Think about it, there must be thousands of us out there!
    I'd say more like millions. As in more than one million or two million.

When you see people walk by, surely there are several men in the crowd who would much rather be wearing something pretty, but can't.
    It's frequently on my mind when I'm out in public. Is it the guy working the checkout line? Is it man walking down the street with a briefcase? Maybe it's that guy walking happily with his girlfriend, hand in hand... longing to wear HER clothes. Maybe the other guys are looking around wondering if it's me, too.

I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men!
    If I'm a crossdresser, I'm obviously anything I WANT to be regardless of the social taboo. Even so, going out in public en femme can be a dangerous game around here. I can be quite a mighty lion and then some... but it will do little good if I am attacked by a pack of hyenas. That is why I spend my time trying to change the game, rewrite the rules, and educate people. Won't happen soon enough, but I feel it necessary to do my part.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Taking a guess...

Gee, according to my math, if even 1% of the US population (305 million) are MTF CD inclined, (which I think is way too low and am guessing 3 t0 5% at least) would give us a CD population of about 1.5 million, roughly half the total population of Denver Metro area. My guess is probably closer to 3 to 5 million MTF CDs in the US who dress at some level when they can or really wish they could (do these count?).

But remember, my guess and a credit card will get you a Mocha Latte at Starbucks! But if we were playing horseshoes, I'd have a pretty good score. Still a lot of folks no matter what.

ChanDelle

I suspect that we top the million mark, easily. Sure, we've got so many members, but there are so many visitors who lurk around here too (read but don't sign up or post).

Furthermore, I agree with everyone else who says that many of us don't reach out and there are even younger cds like me who never even heard of this site because they're using social networking sites instead.

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Likely range is between 5% and 10% of the male population.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I'm a mouse. But can you say that to my face.LOL..... Go for it.LMAO
    I am Nobody-- Nobody is perfect so therefore I am perfect

There is always room for more friends in my heart

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    This has been hashed over several times before, but you can't tell the truth too often, so here we go. Very approximate figures for USA and UK:
    • About 25% of men have cross-dressed at least once in their lives
    • About 6% have done it regularly at some time
    • About 2% are doing it regularly now
    • About 0.4% go out in public (CD meetings excepted)
    • About 0.1% go out and pass in public.
    This explains why we're at the same time very numerous and invisible. (Of course those who pass in public are also 'invisible', as are those who are so discreet you don't even spot them.)

Converted from percentages to raw numbers this means that in the USA and UK, 30 million men have cross-dressed at least once in their lives and two and a half million do it regularly today. Half a million of them go out in public dressed. However there's no knowing how long they spend out and dressed in the average week - it might only be a matter of minutes.

[And, puh-lease, don't anybody write in saying you "don't believe the figures" - produce better ones! Anyone who wants to can write to me privately about my sources - too long to mention here.]
    Hmmm....0.1% of the male adult population of California would mean about 13,000 guys have the desire + the looks to pass convincingly as women, sounds about right

[qoute] I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men! [/quote]
    Anti-drama mice. I don't need any more aggravation in my life than I already have. Wearing anything feminine in my profession would just make everyone feel the stereotype is correct, that we're all gay. It's hard enough trying to convince women to date me as it is.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have never seen a CD in public in a skirt or dress but I have seen several members of this forum from the state I live in.
    I did once see a CD at a Wal Mart once,she had a scruffy beard,breast forms,skinny jeans,and heels on,I smiled at her,and she smiled back,thats the only time I saw a CD in public.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Gold Member
    Where's the cheese!!!!! Just kidding!! It is interesting to note that since I've been on this site and have been developing my own style more fully, I do find myself looking around at other men and wonder if they're hiding a secret as well!!

I really don't see how ANY of the estimates can be correct. A closet is a very tiny place for CD's to hide in. I haven't received any census cards mailed out (at least I haven't received mine yet ) asking that question. And I haven't been addressed with a pollster at a mall yet. ( Then again maybe they just took it for granit that the man in the dress was a CD )
    Oh I know that they speculate - some using the old " but 1 out of 10 emergency room patients ....". But then who says CD's aren't enherintly better drivers or less clumsy so less of us end up in the emergency room!
    Just my thoughts.

Banned Read only
    I just some time's wonder when I'm out in drab walking or driving down the road or sitting at a red light wonder if the person I pass or the guy sitting next to me at the red light is a CDer. It is something that i'm sure alot of us CDer's think about in our daily activities.

Based on being involved in gender stuff for decades, my opinion currently is that we're somewhere between 5 and 10% of the population, probably somewhere around the middle of that range. Going with the lower figure of 5%, based on roughly 148,000,000 males in the US currently, 5% of that is 7,420,500 CD's or potential CD's in the case of little kids. That's a LOT of CD's.

But I think that most CD's limit themselves to stuff like underdressing on occasion and aren't interested in being part of a group, mainly because they're so paranoid about someone finding out their secret. I feel that CD's who are brave enough to do something like signing up for membership here are a small minority of the whole.

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, and I do occasionally see a CD out in public. My all time high count out here in the boonies is 3 CD's in one day. Of course, in the gay neighborhood in Chicago, out-and-about TG people are more common.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 07-22-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    My name is Carol.

“Wise up to statistical science.” Ouch!

Well Katie, I guess I’m just not as easily convinced as you with polls. Before grabbing the rain coat I would at least check to see if the windshield washers were off, let alone look for clouds. I feel a little research of my own before just taking the word of someone should be in order.
    Think of the legendary 1948 Chicago Daily Tribune headline “Dewey Defeats Truman.”
    Or from USA TODAY in 2005… “The exit polls of voters on Election Day so overstated Sen. John Kerry's support that they rank as the most inaccurate in a presidential election since at least 1988”
    And since you brought up the UK, how about..The European Medical Journal Special Monograph On Transvestism/Crossdressing which is based on questionnaires that were completed by 414 British males during July and August 1995 and on written communications from over 600 other British males during the same period. “Some authorities have claimed that as many as 50% of men have, at some time or another, dressed partly or completely in women’s clothes.” Not 25% as you suggest in your post.
    But that was years ago, so let’s get the inside “scoop” from today’s world. David W. Moore, a former senior editor at Gallup Poll for 13 years had this to say
    “ I believe that polls that deal with people’s personal experiences can be valid representations of what the public at large is thinking. For example, a question in a recent Gallup Poll asked respondents if they thought they were financially better off or worse off now than they were a year ago. In that type of question, there’s no reason not to believe what people tell the pollsters. That kind of poll has been tremendously important in helping us understand American culture, showing how people live, what their concerns are, what makes them happy. My reservation comes from polls in two specific areas: pre-election polls and polls that are designed to measure people’s opinions about public policy matters. In those areas, I have real reservations about the validity of polls, and I don’t think we can trust the polls to give us an accurate representation of what the public is thinking.”
    Now, he did not expand on what “public policy” is – but one could reasonable assume crossdressing in public falls into public policy? Don’t really know, do we? The fact remains .. polls can be flawed. Are people being polled about crossdressing being asked by men, women, other crossdressers, a group of BIG BIKERS ? When the person is polled are they by themselves or walking in a mall with other people, etc… What group is poling and what are the hopes for the pole? I would think if a Gay Pride sponsor hired a pollster the desired outcome would be different than say if Jimmy Swaggart did the hiring.

Not trying to pick a fight with you Hun. Just expressing my opinion on why I question other people’s research and polls on a very unpopular subject. You’re allowed your opinion and sources and I’m allowed mine. We just have to agree to disagree is all.

But I do have to say I personally disagree on your end response “And, puh-lease, don't anybody write in saying you "don't believe the figures" - produce better ones! Anyone who wants to can write to me privately…..” That’s just too close to the popular media trick of printing the editorials with the desired slant and withholding others from public view. (If it’s in print.. it has to be true doesn’t it?)

I don't want to hijack a thread with you and me cat fighting, so if you feel a need to reply just know that I will let you have the last word and I won't reply - so there is and end.