Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number of CD People

Banned Read only
    I just some time's wonder when I'm out in drab walking or driving down the road or sitting at a red light wonder if the person I pass or the guy sitting next to me at the red light is a CDer. It is something that i'm sure alot of us CDer's think about in our daily activities.

Based on being involved in gender stuff for decades, my opinion currently is that we're somewhere between 5 and 10% of the population, probably somewhere around the middle of that range. Going with the lower figure of 5%, based on roughly 148,000,000 males in the US currently, 5% of that is 7,420,500 CD's or potential CD's in the case of little kids. That's a LOT of CD's.

But I think that most CD's limit themselves to stuff like underdressing on occasion and aren't interested in being part of a group, mainly because they're so paranoid about someone finding out their secret. I feel that CD's who are brave enough to do something like signing up for membership here are a small minority of the whole.

I'm in the suburbs of Chicago, and I do occasionally see a CD out in public. My all time high count out here in the boonies is 3 CD's in one day. Of course, in the gay neighborhood in Chicago, out-and-about TG people are more common.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 07-22-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    My name is Carol.

“Wise up to statistical science.” Ouch!

Well Katie, I guess I’m just not as easily convinced as you with polls. Before grabbing the rain coat I would at least check to see if the windshield washers were off, let alone look for clouds. I feel a little research of my own before just taking the word of someone should be in order.
    Think of the legendary 1948 Chicago Daily Tribune headline “Dewey Defeats Truman.”
    Or from USA TODAY in 2005… “The exit polls of voters on Election Day so overstated Sen. John Kerry's support that they rank as the most inaccurate in a presidential election since at least 1988”
    And since you brought up the UK, how about..The European Medical Journal Special Monograph On Transvestism/Crossdressing which is based on questionnaires that were completed by 414 British males during July and August 1995 and on written communications from over 600 other British males during the same period. “Some authorities have claimed that as many as 50% of men have, at some time or another, dressed partly or completely in women’s clothes.” Not 25% as you suggest in your post.
    But that was years ago, so let’s get the inside “scoop” from today’s world. David W. Moore, a former senior editor at Gallup Poll for 13 years had this to say
    “ I believe that polls that deal with people’s personal experiences can be valid representations of what the public at large is thinking. For example, a question in a recent Gallup Poll asked respondents if they thought they were financially better off or worse off now than they were a year ago. In that type of question, there’s no reason not to believe what people tell the pollsters. That kind of poll has been tremendously important in helping us understand American culture, showing how people live, what their concerns are, what makes them happy. My reservation comes from polls in two specific areas: pre-election polls and polls that are designed to measure people’s opinions about public policy matters. In those areas, I have real reservations about the validity of polls, and I don’t think we can trust the polls to give us an accurate representation of what the public is thinking.”
    Now, he did not expand on what “public policy” is – but one could reasonable assume crossdressing in public falls into public policy? Don’t really know, do we? The fact remains .. polls can be flawed. Are people being polled about crossdressing being asked by men, women, other crossdressers, a group of BIG BIKERS ? When the person is polled are they by themselves or walking in a mall with other people, etc… What group is poling and what are the hopes for the pole? I would think if a Gay Pride sponsor hired a pollster the desired outcome would be different than say if Jimmy Swaggart did the hiring.

Not trying to pick a fight with you Hun. Just expressing my opinion on why I question other people’s research and polls on a very unpopular subject. You’re allowed your opinion and sources and I’m allowed mine. We just have to agree to disagree is all.

But I do have to say I personally disagree on your end response “And, puh-lease, don't anybody write in saying you "don't believe the figures" - produce better ones! Anyone who wants to can write to me privately…..” That’s just too close to the popular media trick of printing the editorials with the desired slant and withholding others from public view. (If it’s in print.. it has to be true doesn’t it?)

I don't want to hijack a thread with you and me cat fighting, so if you feel a need to reply just know that I will let you have the last word and I won't reply - so there is and end.