Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever fear for your safety while out?

I started a thread a year ago asking if anyone had had any real trouble while out and dressed. There were many replies and the worst experience was one person getting heckled. Some of us worry too much.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Well umm. To be honest, I haven't been out much dressed, but even in guy mode I always carry. I am aware of peoples' negative opinions towards guns, but hey, thats your opinion, right? ^^

So yeah, at any given time I'm carrying a gun, plus my Krav Maga experience and at least one knife. I'm paranoid, I know, but I HAVE been mugged twice. I'd rather not risk it whether I'm Elly or the male me.

Plus a gun is like a purse, once you start carrying one you feel the need to have it on you all the time. Otherwise you're naked. O_O

I always stay with people. I had one incident once that could have gone too far, but he was an admirere who didn't want to take No for an answer. He eventually got the hint, but if it comes down to it, I'm a second degree black belt, I have some tricks I can use. If it's an admirer it's easier to, they will let you in close.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelofsomekind View Post
    If it's an admirer it's easier to, they will let you in close.
    Crossdressers. The ultimate in assassin.

Smile Common sense and a peppergas backup!

I use common sense as others do.I think peppergas is a good thing to have handy[on my purse strap] and in boy mode on my keyring.I have used it before in boy mode and seen it's effects.However,watch the wind direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm sorry. What a sad and depressing place! Please be careful over there.

btw, ever check the stats on violent assaults both before and after the gun bans in the UK? But, it is a different culture than the US. Different history too. Different is good. O
    There never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing. I never felt the need to ever carry a gun when I was in the states for a month, I felt perfectly safe and at home in Philadelphia.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Like others have said, I've never had an issue. Don't go places your common sense tells you that you shouldn't, and you will be fine.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Like others have said, I've never had an issue. Don't go places your common sense tells you that you shouldn't, and you will be fine.
    I pretty much agree with Kimberly here. It may sound secure to carry a firearm or any other kind of weapon, but in reality, don't bet on it. Firing a weapon is one thing...firing one to cause harm to another is completely different.

As for an issue of someone following you, just find a police station, pull in to it and see how far you are followed after that. That's what they're there for.

Yes and no,I really hate confrontational situations,but if confronted with no avenue of escape,what happens is their fault.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    There never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing. I never felt the need to ever carry a gun when I was in the states for a month, I felt perfectly safe and at home in Philadelphia.
    For your consideration hun:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Gun+b...fp=KxYPMM6r3XA

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/1...e-the-gun-ban/

http://www.newsmax.com/inside_cover/.../26/27556.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...k_gun_ban.html

O

When I lived in Florida I had a carry permit,when I moved out west,it helped me get a permit in the state I moved too,I have never had to use my handgun for self defense,I hope I never have to use it.

Usually my demeaner is enough to convince some bonehead it's in their best interest to try this with someone else,I'm really no one they want to mess with,even without the handgun.

Fortunately we Americans have the right to own firearms,but that right is constantly under attack,I once read in a history book what happened when some guy named King George ordered all,musketts,ball,and powder confiscated from the colonists.

I certainly do hope no one ever tries that again.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Fear is a state of being - it will happen to all of us in a situation.

What you do with that fear is how you will decide if you are a victim or not.

To quote Rambo "I always thought the mind was the best weapon"..

Since there are so many poeple up here that fear guns and want to force their belief system on me I won't go into any other details about weapons, except to say I do carry a pistol at times as well - and as a former cop and CURRENT firearms trainer I will say if you carry one TRAIN with it. It's not doing you or innocent bystanders any good to have it otherwise...

I practice Martial arts 3-4 nights a week not just for my slender girly figure but for the confidence it gives me, the knowledge it gives me......If you see my hips and want to know why they look femme - it's because of the E! But it's also because you use your hips a LOT in Martial arts - a LOT..... Work those hips out!! I had female hips in HS because I boxed, now they are back because of this....there's a plus!!!

If you fear weapons try Martial Arts - it's a healthy thing to do. it's fun too and can add to your girly figure and cause extremely quick weight loss, in a healthy way......gives you energy, there are 1000 reasons why to do Martial Arts....

The other day someone knocked a coffee cup off a desk at work and I was right there - snatched it up before it hit the ground - improved reflexes - every black belt will tell you this!!!!
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Banned Read only
    The best weapon really is the mind, and the best way is to maintain awareness, and avoid bad areas or situations. Anything else, like choice of weapons, or not, is secondary.

I can honestly say that I've never been concerned while out in girl mode, but I'm particular about where I go and what I do. There have been other times, however, when my personal safety was jeopardized... largely due to the line of work I was in at the time. Different story.

Quote Originally Posted by veryinn View Post
    1. No guns
    I discourage owning firearm. I know this opinion might annoy some people. However, I'm a believer of "you'll hurt people you love more likely than a stranger or offender."

You really need to check your facts. That's tired old propaganda, and it's utter bullshit.

We have this little thing called "training." I shoot competitively, and I can tell you that even the rankest of amateurs are not likely to hit the wrong human-sized target even under pressure.

Cops are a different story, however. They never seem to get the same quality of training civilians do, and when you hear about stray bullets taking out innocents, 9 times out of 10, they came from a cop's gun. Hey, here's a thought: maybe we should disarm the cops?

Believe whatever you like. Just know that you're wrong, and know that you have the freedom to believe whatever you like because of men with guns.

SO of Lisa Golightly Deb The Brunette's Avatar
    Isn't paranoia a wonderful thing

Some people build walls around themselves......not to keep people out
    But to see who cares enough to break them down
    So thanks lisa for taking a bloody great sledgehammer to mine you certainly made short work of it

Loves you Poppet
    x

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Steff, I am a Florida girl like you (a little further south of you).

Unfortunately I always feel the need to bring some "protection" with me (like you, perfectly legal). I have never ever been in anything even remotely close to a situation in which I felt in danger. But given the violence in American culture and in our home state (which I love passionately), a girl has to be careful.

This might be a West Coast - East Coast thing. I used to live in Miami and did not feel as vulnerable as I do on the West Coast of Florida.

One bit of good news, though. I was pulled over by the deputy sheriffs about six months ago for a broken tail light. (It really was broken.) I was dressed up and coming back from a party (stone cold sober, I might add). My appearance did not match the mug shot on my license. The officers did not miss a beat. They were calm and acted as if my situation was perfectly normal.

I said. "Officers, you might notice that the picture on my license does not look a lot like me."

They said, "Don't worry. They never do."

One of the officers asked if I preferred to be addressed as ma'am or sir. She was not being a wise-ass about it, either. They merely pointed out "Ma'am, you might not be aware of this, but your tail light is cracked and is really bright and could make it difficult for other drivers to see the road."

So, protect yourself as you feel necessary, Steff. But, at least in my part of the Sunshine State, just a hundred miles or so south of you, you need not fear the cops.

You have the freedom to believe what you like by being born.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Wow and wow to all the rest that carry firearms, you'd never manage in the UK, you aren't allowed to carry them
    Don't want to worry you, but in the past I've done open topped vehicle patrols around Worksop behind a GP machine gun... No live ammunition, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm sorry. What a sad and depressing place! Please be careful over there.

btw, ever check the stats on violent assaults both before and after the gun bans in the UK? But, it is a different culture than the US. Different history too. Different is good. O
    There is a VERY big difference - simply because (despite my above comment) the UK is not awash with guns.

There was a huge fuss in the region where I live about ten years ago at how the murder rate had peaked at a (for us) simply enormous number - four. (Three died in one family due to a boyfriend going berserk with a machete.)

I just don't think you can compare that to the USA, particularly with our much higher population densities (there is 20% of the US population in a group of islands that would comfortably fit inside a corner of nearly any one of your states)?

It's a different mindset. We don't need them to defend ourselves, because very few other people have them..

But guns isn't what this thread was about, is it - and it's sooo predictable how threads here about guns go, people get so fiercely protective.

The key point is defeating the fear in your mind. And if the threat is really real (so often we seem to overblow things) - well, why don't you move?
    Last edited by Nicki B; 07-22-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Added bold highlight
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Your first link doesn't work, the second link is not applicable, the third link took me to a nasty virus download, so I dread to think what is on your pc now and the fourth link is not about what I said either. Let me say it again, in the UK, you have NEVER been allowed to carry a gun in the streets. The gun laws here are regarding keeping them in your home, which is also against the law unless you have a damn good reason and a license. But that's besides the point, if you ever shot someone here, you'd be in prison for it, whether it's self defense or not.

If you want to protect yourself, learn self defence, take up a martial art, weapons is not the answer, could you live with yourself if you shot a kid cus he tried to snatch your bag?
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Newsmax, as reputable as the Enquirer.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

What I always hear about weapons is that most people who have them, don't know how to use then, and end up getting them taken away and used against them.

i watch out around me at all times and many times i care my weapon. i don't expect my house to burn but i insure it, like i don't expect to need my weapon, but i have it. Sometimes areas that seem very safe go wrong, i once had a girl pull a weapn and fire 3 shots at her boyfriend across the trunk of my car as he drove away. This was a very "safe" parking lot. Be aware of what is going on, and the area you are in, do that and if you are carrying a weapon, you won't need to use it.

Complex Lolita...
    Do I fear for my safety while I’m out? Well, I feel vulnerable at times, but this comes and goes. I actually like that feeling – it’s exciting, and keeps me aware of my surroundings. I wouldn’t go dressed into any place where I’m not wanted. Where I live the genders are very separated, right from birth. I haven’t talked to anyone about it, but I can tell that people here are practically “at war” with alternative life-styles. You don’t see them, but the guns are there, I assume for defense. I know I have to be careful, but what else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft
    There never has been a gun ban in this country, you've NEVER been allowed to carry arms here. It's not sad and depressing, it's actually quite refreshing. If you feel the need to carry a gun over there, then that is sad and depressing.
    OK – two questions:
    If you’ve never been allowed to carry arms in the UK, how come Lara Croft always has two pistols strapped to her thighs? At Croft Manor, no less? Is she exempt because she’s rich, curvy and fictitious? Just wondering – I’m a Tomb Raider fan…
    Also, and this may be the most important question, how do you get blood stains out of pantyhose?
    Last edited by Frédérique; 07-24-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Aspiring Member

Not a problem... But, it could be.

Actually, it's not a dangerous world - at least not here in the USA where the crime statistics consistently show less and less crime, or, no great increase in crime, decade after decade.

Relax.

What's probably needed more than a knife or a gun is practice with verbal judo - and the willingness to "go off" on someone if you have to...

If people are going to rob you, they're going to get the drop on you and rob you as efficiently as possible. "No much, no fuss." If they put a gun on you, give them the money, the car keys, whatever... Odds are, they just want the loot and have little concern about you so long as you don't make a fuss. If they want something else... Well, it's a gun they're holding. Good luck doing much about it so long as the barrel is pointing right at you.

If they're going to beat you up, they're usually going to confront you, and/or gang up on you first. Pay attention to that sort of thing and be prepared to talk your way out, "Yep, I am a guy in a dress - you got me there. But, I try to keep the wife happy and this is what she likes..."

In any event, long story short, mind your own business, be pleasant, and use common sense to avoid trouble. If, however, you're set upon, raise hell and get in some licks as quick as you can. I've done martial arts and boxed, and spent time on the gun range. Believe me, anyone's elbows, feet, nails, etc. hurt like hell when they hit anyone else's flesh. Same for a rock upside the head, or, a phone, chair, ash tray, beer mug, etc... Just do it and do it like hell until you can't do it anymore or everyone agrees that that's enough. Point is, don't make it a "free lunch" for them either.

It's not a dangerous world unless you are totally unaware of your surroundings and your defenses.

Which, if you just read this, you no longer are.

Guns, by the way, are fine if you have one in your hand before you need it. Knives are great too, but slippery - hard to keep them from getting the damn things away from you and then back on you... And, both, unfortunately, tend to give "false security" to the bearer AND create major problems in terms of later defenses against charges of assault and/or murder.

"Premeditation" is a bitch to argue around when you habitually carry - not to mention many places you go forbid-by-law such weapons and being caught in the wrong place with such weapons is an automatic felony conviction.

Which gets back to common sense: If it's that much trouble, don't do it.

A few years ago, I was fully dressed so my wife & I went for a walk in Lincoln Park around midnight, it was fun, warm summer night, slight breeze blowing thru my hair & around my legs, what a great feeling. WE walked for about 15min. when I noticed a strange looking man coming toward us. In the dim park light, I could see his eyes were fixed on us as he kept approaching, that scared me . Not wanting to get into any kind of hassle, especially dressed the way I was, I made an obvious move with my hand . Under one of the park lights, so he could see, I unzipped my purse & moved my hand inside it as if I were going for something, of course all I had inside was my wallet, perfume & lipstick but he didn't know that. He made an abrupt left turn & headed out across the grass. We stopped & watched him disappear into the shadows for a moment & then we did an about-face & headed back to the car. Our hearts were pounding as we locked the doors & went home. I don't know what might have happened if he didn't turn around, but now I am very careful & aware of my surroundings. I won't make that mistake twice
    just north of crook county,in the land of Lincoln(if he could see it now)

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I go out all the time and I've never had a problem, never even felt vulnerable, just lucky I guess. My safety measures are that I lock the doors of my car when I'm driving, I keep my phone fully charged, and I have a small pepper spray in my purse. That's all I do other than I used to be a 3rd Kyu Brown Belt in karate about 10 years ago.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!