Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Prepared For An Emergency?

Are You Prepared For An Emergency?

What do you do when you can't go home? It might be an earthquake or some other natural disaster, or, like happened to me today. my neighborhood was blocked off by the police, with the bomb squad command center blocking my driveway!

Have any of you had something like that happen while dressed? Or, have you given it any thought?
    Last edited by Persephone; 07-23-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Specifically, no. But I can tell you how I'd react; I'd do my best to stay calm and not panic, act quickly; with blind trust on what I've learned from boy scouts (hehe) if applicable, and otherwise use common sense.

Also, I usually have my cell phone on me, and if not, many people have them these days, so it is a hop skip and a jump to find help.

As for dressing, I don't own enough cloths for a full outfit; so when I'm outside and dressed, it's usually at 2 am when I'm absolutely sure everyone in my apartment is asleep. And I always keep a change of cloths handy just in case.

I think it would always be best to keep a change of cloths in one's car in case of emergency.

I call it my "earthquake" bag, extra pants, shirts, socks, etc. in the trunk. Never had to use them yet, but have come VERY close.

I always used to carry "boy" clothes when I went out but mostly now I don't. My immediate family knows so I guess I'd drive over to my daughters to wait out the emergency.
    Sally

Hi Persephone, I was'nt but i am now. My car broke down on me 13 miles from home. To top matters off it was 2 am and I could not get hold of any of my friends that new I dressed. I had on a short skirt and 3 " heels. Well I bit the bullet an called my Ex. Was she happy to hear from me. I all so though of walking home , you do not walk that far in heels. Lesson learnd.

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeva View Post
    I think it would always be best to keep a change of cloths in one's car in case of emergency.
    That's the best emergency kit you can have and also another set of clothes at a friend's home.
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

Earthquake bag! Awesome, thanks!

Funny how I always overlook the obvious stuff.

Aspiring Member

Yep.

Always take a change of clothes - for flat tires, etc.

Also, have your story straight. "I was at party," works very well.

I know how you feel

Hi my dear,

Had a similar experience of imminent disaster a few weeks back. I outlined it here under the subject "a close shave". Maybe I should have called it a near miss. I see the funny side now, Love Bronwen.

emergencies

Almost two years ago I had a flat tire on the way to work. That in itself isn't to bad but it was the first time ever driving to or coming to work "dressed". Left the house all dolled up, short "skort' (that was lucky), 4" high heels bra forms hose wig lipstick and mascara. About 1 1/2 miles from my exit, I have a flat tire, just after 5 in the morning so not much traffic, I'd guess about 150 vehicles passed while changing the tire. I just called, said I'd be a little late, bit the bullet and changed the tire (made it to work before 6 tho) Only one incident worth mentioning. A gentelman about 30 - 35, stopped to ask if I needed any assistance, or a tow truck, but I was nearly finished so I said no, but thank you very much! I think it took longer to get rid of him than it did to change the tire. I could have changed clothing in the truck before getting out of the pick-up, I had my guy clothes with me but I figured WHAT THE HEY, K.L. (the girl on duty) has been wanting to see me dressed as Bobi so I had planned on surprising her that morning by walking in dressed, so I did...
    Gotta tell you tho, I was nervous has hell at the time but I'd also do it again in a heart beat..................
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

There's always the golf bag in the trunk with wind pants and jacket I guess, but I don't know that I would need it. (always carry the golf bag, you never know when a golf game might break out). Maybe if there was a freak blizzard and I needed something to cover my legs. Otherwise, why would the police care what i was wearing. If they were blocking my driveway I would not even think twice about my clothing but about why my house was roped off.

I used to carry coveralls in case I had to do something with my car even in male mode but now I have found AAA
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Emergency kit

I also have an Earth quake bag but I also included makeup remover and some cloth. But I'll never put that 12 hour water proof Mascara again! lol....

be prepared

Just like you should have an emergency kit and a first aid kit in your car. You should also have a change of clothes and a pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by maryklinden View Post
    Always take a change of clothes - for flat tires, etc.
    I have a change too, not so people won't find out, but so I don't get automotive stains all over my good clothes.

Complex Lolita...
    [SIZE="2"]Yes, I’m always prepared for an emergency. I keep a change of drab clothes in my Jeep, and another in the garage, not to mention make-up remover, cotton balls, and plenty of Kleenex…[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 07-24-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Any suggestions for those few of us who don't have cars?

The U.S. on the east coast. Yay the beach :)
    So far i don't go outside but if i ever do i now know what i need to take with me. Earthquake bag.
    'Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” - Leo F. Buscaglia

I usually have an emergency set of guy clothes and shoes, a roll of paper towels and a bottle of water for the situation where I need to change back to drab. There may be traces of make up and perfume on me...but by and large, I could get by as a dude.

However.....on one occasion not too long ago, I just said what the hell and left the house without the back-up guy clothes....hadn't needed them really ever, ...so what???

Well I was out shopping in a dress that zipped up the back, black and yellow with some thin white stipes at the waiste. I had gone to a Ross and looked/tried on some dresses. I was so broke ( to broke to pay attention) so I was just window shopping. I then went to a Dress Barn and tried on some more dresses. The sales lady was very helpfull...she needed a sale as well but I couldn't buy. I had just ledt DB and was walking down the sidewalk when a woman came up to me from behind and said my dress was open in the back and my ass was showing????????? Shit!!! how embarassing..I reached around behind and could feel bare skin..and a crack! I was only wearing a thong! I could have been arrested for indecint expossure...cause I certainly was exposed.

OMG!! I immediately realized, I didn't have a change of clothes. Too broke to dash into a store and just buy something. Miles from home and I had some other shopping to do in this area (Fry's Computer store). Think...Think...Think.

I saw a grocery store and figured they might have a small sewing kit or at lease some safety pins. So after descretely walking back to my car, I drove over to the grocery store..as close as I could park, and making sure the seam in the back was ovelapped...very carefully and up-rightly walked slowly into the store. I thought I would never find the "notions" section, but finally did. I purchased both a sewing lkit and a package of safety pins and went to the Ladies room. Fortunately, the restroom was vacant and I could go right into the handicapped stall, remove the dress, mend it with safety pins all the way up the back seem. As I was doing this, a woman entered the RR and I froze. I listened closely as she used the next stall and finished her business, then left. I quickly finished mending the dress, put it back on. felt up the back and found it seemed to close the gap, fixed my makeup and hair then left the Ladies room.

The soup in the delie looked good so I had a bowl for lunch...then went to Fry's and bought 4gig of ram for my computer.

It al would have been so easy, if I had had a pair of guy jeans in the car. I could have avoided 1 1/2 hours of PANIC!!!! But all worked out OK.

Lessen...ALWAYS keep a backup clothes change in the car!!!!

When I go out I like to keep an emergency bag with drab clothes (shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes), baby wipes, and makeup remover.

I haven't had to use it yet, but it's there if I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara918 View Post
    Any suggestions for those few of us who don't have cars?
    Good question. You might have to carry a backpack or a very large purse.

I looked in my car and along with my golf bag I do have another bag with clothing...a skirt and two sarongs. Probably not exactly what the question was talking about huh?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

What a good idea! As usual with good ideas - so obvious. I'll sort out my Earthquake bag now.
    Bernie

I always take along some "boy clothes" so that if need be I can change and appear to be a male. I have had to do this a few times in order to get into my garage as I live on a cul de sac and the town houses are quite close together. Also, one time I had a minor problem with my car so, I changed.
    Hugs, Carole

I try to always be prepared. I keep a gym bag behind the seat of my pickup. Forms, pantyhose, bra, panties, lipstick, earrings and two wigs. Just in case.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Like Sally, in the beginning I too used to have a bag with some boy clothes in it, mine was in the trunk, but I don't do that anymore as I think that's "cheating" LOL. (I'm not suggesting you're cheating. I'm saying it feels like I'm cheating myself).

It's more fun and I suppose a little more risky having to stay dressed no matter what happens, but what am I risking? I get read by strangers occasionally, my neighbors have seen me dressed (and I think they know it's me), my wife, my wife's sister, and my step-son all know about me. The worse thing that could happen to me not being able to get home for hours and hours would be that I'd be concerned that my makeup would go "off" or if it was all day that my beard shadow might start to show ... that would be way more terrible for me than being unable to get into our house.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Incredible, isn't it? These suggestions seem so obvious once someone has offered them, yet I haven't previously prepared a bag that can live in my trunk; that changes first thing tomorrow! As with so many others, it's not a matter of being "found out" but, I think, much more a matter of having a range of options -- including not just drab clothing but appropriate backup female things as well. (I do ordinarily wear flats while driving, and bring along my heels, but that is also for comfort).
    Great ideas!

Diane D.