Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embarrased!

Your mother always told you to wear clean underwear because if you were to get into an accident, you wouldn't want the doctors to find you with dirty undies. This same thing applies to underdressing, in my humble opinion. This is why I don't underdress. You never know what situations life is going to shovel at you on any given day.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    The clothing is not medically relevant and should not be included in the physical. It is very unlkely go get back to the employer through the doctors office.

Amber, The nurse's was not acting in a very professional manner as would be expected of something working in the health care field. I would also expect better of Union Officers too. I' not familiar with the case of the bus driver in LA that was fired for being a cross dress "for his own protection." Did the driver choose to dress as a woman when driving the bus? If so then there may be some ground for justification since he does represent the bus company when he is on the job and such behavior may not be deemed in the company's best interest. There are often legal clauses in employment contracts that allow for termination on the "not in the company's best interest" rule or "for an employees own physical protection and well-being". Both are equally legal but the later is often used because the former can cause the company bad publicity, which they don't want.

I wouldn't dwell to much on your annual physical debacle at this point. Things have away of blowing over and working themselves out.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Amber-

<big hug> I can understand why something like this can be so worrisome and I'm glad sleeping on it has brought you to some resolution and a determination on how to handle the situation. I wish you the best of luck.

FWIW, my wife is an RN, currently in admin, with over 30 years in the medical field. I told her the essentials of what you had written, the unprofessional conduct of the staff, the attitude of the Dr, and watched as her eyes widened in surprise and dismay. Yes, to be honest, sometimes gossip is made about patients in a clinic or even hospital setting, just human nature, but to do it to your face is rude, inexcusable and absolutely outside the bounds of professionalism.

Here is one piece of information you may find potentially helpful if you do face any problems with your employer, supervisors, or fellow employees. (Who knows, one of them may be married or related to someone who works in the clinic, someone with an acute case of, "OMG, guess what I know!" and who just can't keep their mouth shut.) HIPAA provides specifically for violations of the Dr/patient relationship regarding confidentiality. If there is even a hint that anything that took place in the clinic setting was divulged to an outside party you may report them directly to HIPAA with no need for an attorney or lawsuit or anything else. HIPAA has a website which you can access directly and will tell you what your rights are and how to file a complaint should that be necessary. I hope that it isn't and that there are no problems for you at all. By the way, my wife wishes you her best, as do I.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Banned Read only
    First off what a rude Ignorant "Coughs Loudly" woman, she is what cause some CDer's to be afraid to go out in public dressed. Now if they do say anything to your company get a Lawyer for breach of patient confidentiality, they by law can not tell your Boss or anyone else for that mater anything that they seen unless it was illegal, the only thing that they can tell your boss is the est results and nothing more. If I was you I would call the hospital head and file a complaint against her and the other nurses as well as the DR for being so rude, and tell them that if anything gets back to your boss about what you where wearing that you will file a suit for Breach of Patient Confidentiality.. I am sorry to hear your incident, hope everything gets better,

Working in the medical field I am appalled at the way the nurse or technician treated you. As others have stated, your information is protected under HIPAA and if any of the information that was not relevant to your required work physical was to come back to your employer, you will find no difficulty in hiring a lawyer. Regardless of the outcome of the case, Im sure whomever is in charge of that clinic will ensure that the employees will not want to do something like that again.

Good luck

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by dawnmarrie1961 View Post
    I' not familiar with the case of the bus driver in LA that was fired for being a cross dress "for his own protection." Did the driver choose to dress as a woman when driving the bus? If so then there may be some ground for justification since he does represent the bus company when he is on the job and such behavior may not be deemed in the company's best interest.

Yes, this was several years ago, and he was driving fully dressed. Not the best attire to wear when driving on the west side I have to admit.

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

If I were you i would file a complaint with your state AMA and whoever is responsible for licensing of nurses in your state (Ohio board of nursing or whoever it is). Their behavior was not only unprofessional, and has possibly put your employment at risk but it was demeaning to you. This is not acceptable, and those who have jobs right now - should be happy about that and behave in a manner indicating that they wish to keep them. These nurses should, at the very least be reprimanded for there grossly inappropriate behavior. I would also write a letter to the doctor, or corporate entity who owns the clinic - they don't want this sort of liability issue and they are likely to act in ways you can't.

And if word does get out of the doctor's office (it probably won't - but seeing how seriously they take professionalism in the office - who knows?) you will then want to hire an attorney.

Besides, if you later need to hire an attorney you want documentation that this DID happen.

I'm sorry for your experience, and it shouldn't have happened, but don't feel like you have to take it lying down.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Lisa Elizabeth: I don't think I was being cynical. I didn't say the doctor was giggling, but Amber said he walked in with a disgusted look and didn't even say hello. a little "bedside manner" would have been nice. That's why I felt the doctor was a jerk.

You're probably right that a place that does employee physicals is a big corporation, not a private practice. Either way it sounds like the nursing staff must not have been top notch.

Amber - good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    To say I'm shocked at how unprofessional they were would be an understatement.
    I agree........wow, I have never had anyone at a doctors office act like this before. VERY unprofessional.

The unprofessional attitude of the physican and staff is appalling.
    However there is one positive note here, notice that there have been no other posts describing how others have received poor treatment from medical staff. This indicates that the treatment you received is very uncommon.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

GOD!!!!....humans are awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

Quote Originally Posted by carhill2mn View Post
    It was truely bad luck to have such an unprofessional person weigh you in etc. Medical professionals have "seen it all" and usually do not react. It is highly irregular for the woman to laugh and then tell others. You might consider fileing a complaint.
    I agree. I'd be furious if that kind of thing had happened to my fella. Infact I'd have been straight down the docs asking for an explanation and an apology. However, thats easy for me to say cause I'm not a CD and wasn't placed in a very compromising position at short notice.
    I dont know how these people get away with it. They are in very privilidged positions and should know better than to make someone feel that small and inadequate just because they have a different lifestyle to most other people.

Take heart though, its usually these kind of people who are the ones with the problem. It usually betrays some deep seated insecurity with who they are.
    Take care
    Bev

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I would say filing a complaint is the way to go. You certainly deserve an apology.
    living the dream

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city

Please keep us informed as to what happens!

Amber, todayI went to my computer to deliberately search out your post from last thursday 7/23, and want to know if anything ever came from your letters you wrote to file formal complaints. They should be professionally reprimanded in their file and ethics board come down on them. Maybe its still to early in the week ( monday 7/27) for anyone to get the letters yet but follow up with your sympathetic sisters here as to the results.

Megan