Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is This a Choice?

Quote Originally Posted by BarbiB View Post
    And then there's those who suffer EVEN MORE THAN THAT.....
    Because they don't dress in consideration of the wishes of a loved one.
    Hi Barbi -- there's a whole lot of wisdom in your comment, and maybe a lot of sadness too -- huge thanks for the former, big hugs and love for the latter -- Love, Diane

it is a

chioce just like anything we do
    do I be male mode or girl mode
    do i wear a dress or pants
    we are what we are from the choices we made to get to were we are now
    at least that is the way i see myself
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    Gays can be so stupid, and as ignorant as anyone else. I have the choice to be a basketcase on meds the rest of my life, or to express my female side. Some choice.
    You so have a way with words Amanda. I think its just more a case of prejudice. To be honest we all have them. How often do you hear on here people critcising women for not being feminine any more, yet if we were to to come on and say guys aren't masculine any more we'd get shot.

For a Gay man to say something that insensitive smacks of ignorance and lack of empathy toward anyone else who's a bit different. We are all wired up differently and we should learn to respect other peoples way of life instead of comparing it with our own. How can any of us know what's going on in someone else's head when we can't even work whats going on in our own most of the time.

I can't really work out though why most people see thier differences as some kind of affliction that they can't help. Its almost like theyre asking for pity. Hell if I'm different to others then I'm quite releived really, and if they can't or dont want to accept that then surely thats their problem not mine.

Bev

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    it has been established up one forum and down the other that most of us have had this compulsion since our teen years or much earlier. What we can choose is when, and how often, to give in to that compulsion and put on the dresses, or makeup, or bra, or whatever.

Damn skippy.

I'm sure most of us know that alcoholism is physiological in nature, and generally hereditary. Someone can be born with the propensity to alcoholism, but avoid any symptoms by never touching one beer for his whole life. Alcoholism is not a choice.

But drinking is a choice.

Silver Member
    Tracy, I do not think we have any choice in being or not being a crossdresser. It is just the way we are and I am surprised that your gay friend does not understand this. Do you think he has a choice in being gay or not? I think not! He is gay for the same reason that we are crossdressers, it is just the way that our brains tell us how to act and live.

As for the GLBT label thing I for one resent being grouped into this catagory. The GLB part is a definition of sexual preference. We as crossdressers fall under the T part but what we do or are is not anything related with sex. I feel that since we are associated with the gays, lesbians and bisexuals society makes the assumption that our dressing is a sexual thing and I believe that it is not! If we are to gain any level of acceptence from society we probably should be "riding the coatails" of the GL&B group but it is sad that this is so. I prefer to not be associated with GL&B's not because I have anything against these groups. On the contrary, I believe they have every right to do thier thing just as we have that same right. I just want society to know there is a difference between the two.

dressing by choice?

I dont think dressing is a choice. I will admit I feel good when I dress up. I been doing a bit of reading lately and I found something,forget where, that transgendered behavior like cross dressing and transsexualism as well as being gay can and most likelyare caused by a hormonal inballance in the mother while she was pregnant. if this is truely the case its a type of birth defect. most of us started dressing in our early teens or younger. I will admit I feel better when I dress up and have never felt guilty doing it.

I dont know if any of this can be passed on to our kids. I did recently have my oldest son admit to cross dressing and he is seeing a shrink and could be on hormones before the end of the year. he was supprised when I didnt flip out on him.

Young Senior Citizen Elsa Larson's Avatar

Correcting misconceptions.

Sexual and gender minorities have very different understandings of each other.

I once spoke to a group of gay Catholics. During the Q & A, several were surprised to learn that most crossdressers are heterosexual.

I met a FTM-TS at our local support group's kiosk for PrideFest in Harrisburg PA. The first time he came to a meeting, he presumed that all the males wearing dresses were TS.

You had an opportunity to educate, or at least to clarify. You're still a crossdresser when you're asleep, naked, or in drab. You can choose WHEN to crossdress and WHAT to wear.

Your gay antagonist probably did not think before he spoke. I'm certain he's always gay, even when he's not engaging in sexual intimacy with his partner.
    What's between your legs and what you like to do with it is your business, not mine. Please give me the same courtesy.
    Everyone who refers to sexuality as a preference reveals their own bisexuality.
    I hope to live long enough to see a time when one's sexuality or gender identity is no more important than one's religion or politics.
    DO link up with your local support group. It's an easy way to meet similar people, help others, educate the public and be part of the political process.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallelsa/

I yam what I yam,

Choice

There's always a choice in what we wear just as there's NEVER A CHOICE IN WHAT WE ARE. We can choose to be true to ourselves or play other people's game for what ever reason, which seems important to us at the time, but what, how, and who we are in the core of our being is not subject to other folk's whims, ignorance, or opinions. The core of our being is fixed whether we know it, deny it, object to it, supress it, or flaunt it. What we do in regard to our core of being is an issue all it's own and does not alter that core. J
    Last edited by Granny Gray; 07-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Ol' Benjy got it a LOOOnng time ago

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately"
    Benjamin Franklin at the signing of The Declaration of Independence

Huntress

Hi Tracy,I really don't know if it's a choice,or nature,I just turned 60 and I still wonder why I'm like this,but if it's a choice,I think I made the right one,if it's nature,let nature take it's course and don't fight the feeling.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaM View Post
    I have the choice to be a basketcase on meds the rest of my life, or to express my female side. Some choice.
    My thoughts exactly!!

Yes we can stop, but at what cost to our sanity?

I choose to be true to myself!

I have no more say in who and how I am than I did about being born in the first place! Of course I could choose to fake it!!

Kelsy
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

GG and SO of Alana1972
    As a GG I dont see how its a choice. Thats why i would never demand my husband to stop even if I find it difficult.
    Why would he choose to do something that could lead to the break up of his marriage and his family (we have 2 little boys). That makes no sense to me. It cannot be a choice its definitely something he feels compelled to do.

Thank you

I would like to thank those of you who explained it so well, it must be a choice. And I have wasted so much time and $$$ at Doctors and so much time of my life and so much $$$ between purges and I have caused so much agoney between myself and my wife. I just didnt know it was my my choice and all I had to do was stop, how could I have been so ignorant, thank you for clearing it up.

Ok enough of that rant on to the next, like most I have been cd'ing the majority of my life and have spent most of that time trying to figure out why. it has only been recently that I have come to someone accept and understand that it is NOT a Choice but who I am, much like being Gay or straight. You do not ask to be this way and trying to deny it usually ends up with mental distress. Yes if physically force i could wear either clothes, if phisically force I am sure I could do anything, but if I do that for too long mentaly it would be dammaging, that is why I must partake in the actual action once inawhile to maintain some sence of sanity. I do not CD 24/7 but I am still a CD, there are things that prevent me from wearing wommens cloths: society, family ect. I once looked into a support group that insited that you CD and it must be appropriate, knowing that I was not good a makeup and such I did not think my appearance would be appropriate thus I never joined. Wow this rant went longer.