Thread: Speaking your given name seems wrong?

Speaking your given name seems wrong?

It occurred to me the other day as I introduced myself using my full given (male) name, that it felt wrong. Not necessarily like I was lying--just that it felt strange to say.

I've thought of myself as Melanie for so long that saying my name out loud almost sounded contrived.

A little hard to describe, but just curious if anyone else experienced something like this.

Do you go by Melanie all the time? Does your wife call you Melanie,friends? co-workers? Just curious as to why you would feel that way.

kelly
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Gold Member
    yeah I much prefer to be called Erin cause that is how I think of myself.
    "His" name is not a bad one for a guy, but it just doesn't truely fit me much anymore.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Yeah I feel the same when having to give my given name. i guess I'll feel that way until I get my name changed
    SHUT UP AT LEAST THE BUNNIES ARE ON FIRE!!!

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Don't know about that, exactly, but I have nearly given my girlname on several occasions. As in, "Oh, hi, my names Jo...I mean John." Which always garners a strange look since it makes it seem like I don't know my own name. Makes it tough when you're crossdressed into male mode.<g>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

He used to not like hearing or giving his name. Anything would do, but not his real name. It was because he didn't feel too good about himself.

The more we merge, the more he can stand to hear his name spoken, That's because I keep on his tail about improving us both.

The name I would like to be called by is Kimberly,but being my real name is Khim( the h is silent),thats close enough for me.
    Kimmy 55

it seemed out of place to use a different name than I was given even though I went by Keli for some time and it was the equivilant to my name in Hawaiian. So I changed it to my given name but feminized so now it is Teri Jean. My given name is Terry Gene ...... .
    Now I feel better and my daughters will not be confussed. When my folks decided on my name at birth little did they know who I would turn out to be.

Teri