Thread: It is time

It is time

After putting if off for silly fears I have decided to go see a counselor who specializes in gender identity issues. My issues with gender identity has come to a head this past week as I spent more time as Kristin than my male self (Yes, I know my SN says Joselyn, but that was a quick name I thought of, but I identify as Kristin more). I felt more relaxed and at ease. When I did change back to drab, all I could think about was becoming Kristin once more again. I couldn't concentrate on my research at the university. Becoming Kristin was the only thing on my brain. I am tired of feeling ashamed for being who I am. My wife knows that I dress and is only somewhat supportive. She just doesn't like it when I borrow her makeup . I am excited to meet someone who can help me answer the many question I have about myself.

-Kristin

Who are you going to see? In your town, a quick search shows gender-specific Sandra Samons, but it also shows the Jungian in your midst: Lewis Okun.

I'd suggest the latter if you really want to "answer questions about yourself," and the former if you're bent on transitioning.

Best wishes.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Aspiring Member
    That's a good move... the right therapist will assist you deal with what is,,, everything. Best, dd

Good job, all the best in your sessions

Thanks everyone. I have contacted Dr. Lynn Conway who is a professor here at the University for a list of therapists She recommends. I have heard horror stories about the Comprehensive Gender Services Program at the University Hospital. Their protocol for transgender individuals is to treat it as a disease with transitioning as a last resort. There was one MTF graduate student who has been on hormones for a couple years and on track for SRS following her PhD defense. When she visited them to get normal endo care, they would only accept her into the program if she went off of her hormones for 6 months. I want to keep my options open. I am also at a point where I need to answer many questions about myself.

Silver Member
    Kristen I wish you only the best in whatever path you choose to travel at this critical point in your life. Good luck to you Sis.

One piece of advise as you start on this journey - do not "borrow" from your wife; buy your own things. Good luck!
    Hugs, Carole

Kristen,
    I called the UM gender services once before and they indicated they would first refer me to a local theripist that deals with Gender ID. So it sounded as if i was through them but not. I ended up findind a more localized theripist to my area so I did not persue them. but doing internet searches at that time there seam to be many specialized docs in the Ann Arbor and Detroit Area.

Good Luck

Rylie,

I got the feeling the CGSP is just some bureaucratic referral service of the university health system. The one thing that disturbs me about the CGSP at UM, from reading Lynn Conway's website and the UM Provost's Transgender taskforce report in 2006, is that every counselor referred by the center takes the radical and outdated approach of treating gender identity issues as an actual disorder, which goes contrary to current research findings in gender identity. My insurance through my appointment at the university covers therapy for transgender issues for up to 30 visits a year. I am willing to use one of my visits on therapist they recommend. If I don't like the therapist I can always look for a different one.

get your own dam makeup , was the first thing I thought of when I read your thread.just so you know your doing nothing wrong save fir using your wives stuff that's gota stop and fast. Unless she is ok with it. Everone goes through it. So never not be your self.
    Last edited by Christina Horton; 08-04-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

Thanks everyone for your support. I contacted Sandra for an appointment next Wednesday. I am very excited.

Good luck, Let us know how Sandra is, I know I may have to look for a new DR in the near future as mine is threatening to retire. As for my earlier post, I did not reasearch UM throughly befor finding my other DR either, Thanks for your info Ill stay away too. It is hard to find good DR, I had one before that wanted me to drop evry thing and live full time across country for 2 weeks, I had never been out before. I believe she was going to make her "diagnosis" cd or TS on this. Current doc belives it is not a disease but who you are and we are working on how to live with who I am.

I met Sandra Samon years ago. She gave a brief talk and answed questions for about 20 of us crossdressers (plus about 6 wives) at a Tri Ess meeting. She is very good and understands the issues in the gender community.