Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing service, makeovers and Photo Shoots

Dressing service, makeovers and Photo Shoots

Hi Ladies,
    As some of you may well already know, I used to do a dressing service for CDs in my home. I would advise on dress sense and style, I'd do the makeover and talk a CD through what I was doing and how she could do it herself, we would experiment with a range of different wigs and looks and then I'd take between 50 and a 100 pics and then either email, or download onto a site, or put them on a disc.

I had great fun and met lots of very lovely and interesting people. The charge was nominal really, infact I probably sold myself way short considering the time I put into it, I expect my hourly rate would have been something like 50p an hour. So you can imagine my shock when I discovered what a friend of mine had been charged for a mediocre photo shoot not so long back.

For 25 pics and a makeover she had paid over £150 which really shocked me. She was only at the salon for approximatley 1 hour Has any one here had any recent experience of this and does this sound like its the going rate. If it is I think I'll get back into it.

Take care
    Bev

Hi Bev,
    £150 for one hour does seem a bit much. Was it done by a prof photographer in a studio?
    How much you charge will, in many ways, depend on the 'experience' you want to create, how much space you have available, décor, range of clothes, shoes, and wigs to try on, etc...
    I have paid around £25/hr in the past to go to a dressing service that was run from a lady's house. I'd say that she was possibly under charging a little based on the amount of effort she put into the session. Hope that helps ...
    Luv Chrissie
    x

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Hi Bev,

As a guide, here's a link to a place in Northern California for comparison. It's about $200 for full make over including unlimited pictures. It lasts 3 hours.

http://www.adamtoeve.com/services.html
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 08-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I had a photoshoot at The Boudoir (http://www.theboudoironline.com/index.php) 3 weeks ago. £420 for 5 hours and 40 9"x6" photos.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Thank heaven for digital cameras with timers!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by sissystephanie View Post
    Thank heaven for digital cameras with timers!!
    And remotes
    "Originally Posted by Anne66"
    It's store policy: whatever you're looking for, that's what they're out of. And the chances of finding it are in inverse proportion to how much you want it.

bev i live in the usa but i have a female friend who does the same thing about 75$ for about 2 hrs get photos make-up training etc so im not sure what it come out in your country

samantha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is in her vest
    i have no idea what a makeover and pics cost as i haven't had any done, however, i gather your friend must have known the charges before continuing on....still it does seem like alot of money for that....damn theres a career opening for some of us there (laughs)

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Bev-

It's unfortunate, but I think it's simply the fact that many people prey (for lack of a better term) on tgirls who are more or less closeted for whatever reason. To me, and I hate to tar all with the same brush, lots of places that claim they cater to crossdressers and transgendered people simply use the opportunity to charge whatever they feel the market will bear. This goes for makeovers, photo shoots, an evening out, a shopping expedition, clothing in a size for larger girls, you name it. I think it's a shame when the same services are available to the general public for a good deal less. And please don't misunderstand, there are many places that do provide services of all sorts for our community without taking advantage. They're to be commended and we should give them our business whenever we can.

Anyone can go into a salon and get a makover for a reasonable price, anyone can go to a photo studio and have their picture taken professionally and pay a reasonable price. As a for instance, the pix in my "Just Another TGirl" album were part of a package deal through the salon I used to go to before I moved to Seattle. I had a makeover, then drove over to the studio and had pictures taken, the price included an 8x10 print and five additional photos of my choice on a disk all for one price. The photographer took about two dozen pix total, I had my choice of the ones I wanted to keep. How much was it? I paid $75 total, though I did choose to get more pix which were extra. Was it worth it? I think so.

As in so many things, we can be taken advantage of only if we let it happen.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Those services are mainly for the closeted CD who just cant or wont get out of their closet and they do pay extra (sometime much extra) for the security of knowing that they wont ever be exposed to anyone.

For a CD who can and does get out on their own there really is little need for such services. Yes of course to the outgoing CD there is a whole world out there of shopping, makeup studios, and photo shops.

But for someone who is desperately afraid of losing wife and kids if they were ever exposed this does offer an outlet. The xformation studios need to have on hand clothes that fit a wide variety of people's size and taste. Just a good size wardrobe might run $ thousands and the makeup schooling and styling schooling goes for thousands of dollars too. They should at least have wide variety of experience in make up and hair styling (preferably certified with whatever local licensing requires), and they should have some valuable experience in photography.

Obviously, there is great variety in the quality of such studios and therefore is a variety of prices that a person might pay, hopefully there is some correspondence of quality with price. The ones I've seen advertised on the net have photos (used with permission) of people who have used their service so one can guess more accurately of what is possible for their own session.

From the business side of things there is only a very narrow niche market for such services and therefore few customers, so their mark up must be high. But some neighborhood girl who just offers to do a makeover is merely an amatuer and has little invested. They might be good, might not be, but they are less likely able to service a wide variety of clients that some professional service would be able to work with.

So I dont begrudge the service fees they charge and since I am not one of those closeted people I just go out and get what I want done without the need for such special care.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Celeste-

Thank you for your well stated post, you are absolutely right, of course. I suppose I hadn't really thought it through about the very real help that dressing services provide for all our sisters who, for very real and cogent reasons, need to be discreet about themselves. Truly, services like that wouldn't exist without a need for them. In a perfect world, we could all be out (if we chose) but things are what they are.

BTW, I love your pic. You're a doll, and I love that dress.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

LOL thank you Joni
    And thank you for all the replies ladies. Very interesting. Personally, and I dont know what the USA is like, but I think the UK is a nation who will exploit anyone whether CD or not. We always seem to want to charge the earth and value for money seems to be very hard to come by. We seem to be a nation of robbing beggers, always looking for a way to make a quick buck at someone else's expense.
    take care
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post
    LOL thank you Joni
    And thank you for all the replies ladies. Very interesting. Personally, and I dont know what the USA is like, but I think the UK is a nation who will exploit anyone whether CD or not. We always seem to want to charge the earth and value for money seems to be very hard to come by. We seem to be a nation of robbing beggers, always looking for a way to make a quick buck at someone else's expense.
    take care
    Bev
    I agree 100% with this.

I've closetted myself over the past few years, since being with my partner (and Rachels clothes being in storage didn't help), now considers me as a male.
    However, days like today, where I'm on my own, with the true me, I know Rachel wants to go and dress, and be herself again!

At one point, I was dressing 95% of the time, the only time I wasn't fully dressed was when working, and even then I was semi dressed (no one noticed appart from my manager), I would try and wear as manly clothes as possible, but with it still being fem (Blouse rather than shirt, no bra, panties, stockings / tights, some flat shoes (which cost a fortune for a size 13!) and black trousers).

I did my best back then to remain discrete yet comfortable as Rachel, but I would've loved (and still would love) to do a photoshoot, be fully dressed up and have some fun!

The only other time I got to do things like this were with my friend Mel who'd come over, help me prepare to go out for the night.
    Lots of Love,
    Rach
    xxxxx

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    I can't say that I understand why someone would spend £150 an hour to do something which they can do for free but than may just be me being parsimonious.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Value to be had

Hi Girls,

Well Bev as you know I live over here in the UK the same as you and if your friend had taken the time to do some research they would have been able to get a much better deal. I mean I only paid £45 for a makeover and a photo shoot now the makeup was retouched at every clothes change of which I had3 and a dick with 312 photos on it this was done at Trans Femme in Swindon and I can asure you there are a few others around the same price offering a very simlar service.

Liz
    Life is for living don't let it pass you by.

$250 an hour is high.

I think and don't quote me, I think I paid $150 -$175 (around 90-105 pounds) for makeup, clothing wigs and an hour & a half photo shoot around the hotel at SCC. And they were good!

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Hi Bev,

I took my sweetie to a Crossdresser Transformation service here in the friendly city of Seattle, WA in the USA. She had different packages which included makeup instruction, dressing, hair, shopping, dining out 10 photos. More pics if you brought your own camera. The packages ranged from $300 for 4hrs to a 3-day package for $1,200. It was a fabulous life changing experience for both of us.

Jenet

Gold Member
    As much as I would LOVE to go to a transformation studio and have an intensive photo shoot, from what I've researched, it can get quite expensive. That's why I've decided to do my own transformation/photo shoot sessions once I get my makeup skills honed. I think I can have just as much fun that way and it won't cost me anything. Tho I'll have to admit, that the idea of having a photographer pose me while shooting does sound appealing.

We seem to be a nation of robbing beggers, always looking for a way to make a quick buck at someone else's expense.
    So Bev, when did you all become part of the good ole U. S. of A.????

Performance Studio in Nashville has a make up artist who is a Drag Queen and the charge for a 2 hour make up session is $125 and that's only to get made up and shown various ways of doing your make up...nothing else....
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

The irony of course is that i imagine that crossdressing men are almost always just as welcome as GG's to any business that does full makeovers for women. Heck, most department store makeup clerks are instructed to treat male customers exactly the same as females if they request the same service and those are often free with purchase.

The only thing I can see where paying the amount of money makeover services do is if you're paying for the professional photographer to take high quality photos.

Ive been to Jamie Austin probably 8 times and he charged $350.00 for a mini makeover (4+hrs) and $450.00 for full (6+ hrs) during that time he snapped in excess of 400-600 pics each time. I also underwent at least 3-5 outfit and wig changes and some makeup changes. I don't know the current exchange rate to pounds sterling but the last time I was in London (July) it was like $1.80 (at the airport in Gatwick) I'd say Jamie offers the most bang for the buck considering what I've seen/heard here and online.

Sadly, the economy has claimed him as a victim and cancellations and no shows don't help either. He's had to pack up to move to a new studio, sell off some stuff and get a regular job doing makeovers on the weekends. No more trips to Be All or SCC either. For those of us like me who've been to him you know the treatment and experience, hopefully he can rise like the Phoenix and rebuild his business again.

Bev, please come to the USA, we would love to meet you and buy your makover services, and get advice on what looks good and what does not.
    I would love to meet you, you are a great friend to have in this community.

Hi BEV if you start up again put my name down ,I have used a makeover service called TRANS-POSE in Cheshire Teela a GG who runs it is brill and very caring for a 3 hr with loads of changes its £100 plus you get about 100 photos, and for a 5***** its 5 +hrs with as many changes as you can fit in and about 250 photos and a meal thrown in with unlimited tea or coffee or wine and as much advise as you want
    I dont think that is too dear for what you get,i wouldnt want to pay for all the different clothes, wigs, and the shoes in every size available that she has .
    also she sells everthing that a C/Der needs at reasonable prices

J-JAY

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post
    LOL thank you Joni
    take care
    Bev
    I'm so sorry to say that there are people in the U.S. who are no different. If they can use someone to make a dollar then they will unless they can make two or more dollars. They'll take as much as they can.

I've been to a number of transformation businesses. One of the first is a well known one in Philadelphia. The first time I was there it was just about $100 per hour and a complete transformation required three hours. I went twice more. Once to do some lingerie shopping and again for another makeover that would be good enough to wear "out." The last time I wore my own clothes, but by then it was up to $100/hr and again three hours. No photos either. False nails were extra. Etc. Right after leaving her place, I was waiting for the elevator to get out of the building. Immediately upon seeing me when the elevator doors opened, the woman inside laughed. I don't think it was a good makeover. And I did not have the confidence to go out either. I would assume, that since this was nearly 20 years ago, that her rates are much higher. She doesn't post them on her website.

Another woman in Reno did a makeover, helped me with some posture, walking, and mannerisms. She charged just for the makeover and it was under $100.

Another woman who has a transformation place in San Jose, CA also charges pretty low rates. She's a wonderful person. She formerly owned beauty salons but found the business too stressful. She said she enjoyed working with her TG clients. She is very good. I would go to her place every time I was in the Silicon Valley area. Very reasonable prices for everything and lots of customers. Many are also friends.

Transformation places here are a mixed bag. Some are good. Some are't. And a big price doesn't mean big results.

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole
    Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these.
    --Susan B. Anthony

Julie Ann
    hey celeste i saw your post..im also from salem..we should chat more but it wont let me view your profile!