Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacrificial Lambs of Stepping Out into the Public Eye

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Sacrificial Lambs of Stepping Out into the Public Eye

For those that have wondered out into public, have you sacrificed any of your beloved outfits, looks or clothing items as they may attract attention?
    Has going out changed your passion for these outfits,looks or clothing items to the point that you have no more thrill in putting on the outfit/the clothing items/the look even when not going out the door?
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 08-11-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Took the terms "blend-in" and "passing" out of the question

Chantal,

I don't know if this is the answer that you are looking for but---my clothing is the type that any woman would wear everyday. I try to blend in. I really don't have any clothing that I wear for a thrill. Maybe I need to 'add' to my wardrobe.

There is no sacrifice. I go out to express who I am and to experience the world outside. And I feel no less feminine presenting in a casual manner versus being dressed to the nines or somewhere in between.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
    Chantal,

I don't know if this is the answer that you are looking for but---my clothing is the type that any woman would wear everyday. I try to blend in. I really don't have any clothing that I wear for a thrill. Maybe I need to 'add' to my wardrobe.
    note by "thrill", I do not mean it in the sexual way. I guess that I should have said "no more passion", "no more drive", "no more pleasure", "no more excitement"..........

I am not sure what you and many other describe as "type of clothing that any women would wear everyday", seeing that every women have clothing preferences and may not choose to wear many (if any) items in your wardrobe. A thread on that topic would possibly make a good discussion.....

Mostly Harmless...
    So far I haven't had the need. I wear whatever I want outside now and hopefully tomorrow too.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

Seeing there is misinterpreting of my initial questions. The questions are going to be changed to:
    What types of outfits and clothing items that you adored prior to going out in public has collected dust and spider webs (in otherwords, has rarely been touched or worn) since stepping out the door?
    Has the passion for these outfits or clothing items changed to the point that you have no more pleasure in putting on the outfit/the clothing items even when not going out the door?
    For those that loved a certain look (such as school girl, gothic, trampy, 50's housewife, big hair and heavy make up, very glamourous, etc), have you lost your drive or passion to put together the look since going out?

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
    Same here. My posh frocks get an outing when I go somewhere that a posh frock is called for. If I'm going to a face-to-face meeting with politicians, I'll wear a smart skirt suit. If I'm just going shopping, I generally wear jeans.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Chantal-

Well, I'm not sure if this is a relevant response to your post or not, but here goes. As most of the other girls have said, it depends on where I'm going and what I intend to do there. If it's just to go shopping, probably totally casual, if I'm going out with friends to a club where I know it's acceptable, then it may be a skirt up to here and heels up to there (the heck with age appropriate, honey).

However, maybe this is more to the point, I do have clothes that I used to wear fairly often but are now relegated to the dark end of the closet as my tastes and style (if you can call it that) have changed and evolved. Like some super short skirts and a rabbit skin vest. Yes! Can you imagine? Shades of Sonny and Cher! What was I thinking? No more drinks at lunch and then going clothes shopping.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

I've never gone out in public, but if I ever would find the courage, it would certainly be in something that allowed me to blend in.

Hiya Joni Mari,
    That's somewhat like what I've been digging for. Is there any chance of putting on those super short skirts and reliving the similiar passion you once had for them, even for a split second?

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I dress to blend in, so I wear what is appropriate for where I am going or what I am doing. Sometimes I will dress up a bit but not over the top.
    living the dream

Hoi!!!!!!!! Wished that I never mentioned "blend-in" or "passing" as they attract the attention away from the questions.

Banned Read only
    I've ditched a number of outfits that just didn't look as good on me as they did on the pages of a catalog. That changed with stepping out, since I take a friend and try stuff on. (Friends don't let their CD friends shop alone!)

The thrill comes from looking good, so it's only getting better. I haven't lost anything.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    <ahem> Yeah, sort of.<g> Like a lot of other girls, at least I kind of gather this, dressing up in girl clothes was quite "passionate" at one point and often times led to acts of...how can I say this?..solitary pleasure. Now it's just more like getting dressed just in something different and more enjoyable. Am I making any sense here at all? I mean, is it worse than my usual nonesense? Toss me a bone, here, fergawdsake.

Anyhow, yeah, I suppose it's one reason I haven't just tossed them or Goodwilled them. I can occasionally slip on one of my old convertible skirts (the kind that turn into a belt when you sit down) and look in the mirror and go, "Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about." That whole autogynephilia thing that what's his name was spouting. But it doesn't mean I'd go out in public wearing it or anything unless I'd spent the rent money on clothes and it was the first of the month.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    Hiya Joni Mari,
    That's somewhat like what I've been digging for. Is there any chance of putting on those super short skirts and reliving the similiar passion you once had for them, even for a split second?
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

is in her vest
    i dress appropriately for where i'm going..that means the shorter skirts stay out of the city centre, but they still get a wear to the beach or parks in summer....goodness if you have a figure for it, ummmmmmm, why not (laughs)....generally though, i tend to dress like any other woman about my age (well, no, a few years younger!!!..hahaha)

I have lots of eveing gowns and have never worn them out. Aside for the dress I had made for my 20th high school reunion I have never had the chance to. but I do love what I wear out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

Just a girl in the world
    I don't know that it's a matter of completely shutting out a certain outfit so much as dressing appropriate for where you are going, like any gg would. I may wear my fishnet stockings and corset when i go out to the local goth/industral club here, but I wouldn't wear them to the mall. For that matter, I wouldn't wear a cute little print sundress I'd wear to the mall to the goth club. It's just a matter of wearing the right clothes for the right situation.

Now, on the other hand, there are clothes in my closet I wouldn't wear out right now anywhere, but that is because they are out of fashion right at the moment. They come back into style, out they'll come again.

More of a lemming than a lamb.

When I was younger and still figuring myself out, I dressed impractically for going out in public and I had a lot of great outfits for just "around the house". I loved those clothes and the ultra glam look. I particularly remember a pair of d'Orsay pumps with 5 1/2 inch heels that were spectacular but oh so difficult to walk in. I felt really sexy in those but I could never bring myself to walk out farther than to the front sidewalk with them.

As time has passed, I've settled on clothes which are less provocative (for lack of a better word) to more trendy/fashionable (hence I'm really a fashion lemming). For instance, yesterday I bought this really cute pair of Jessica Simpson peep-toe, sling-backs with 4 inch heels. Oh yeah honey, I'll be putting some "out and about miles" in those for sure. They're comfortable, and ummm a teensy bit sexy too but they're not black patent and they're not the 6 inch platforms of my younger days.

Another thing that's changed is my hair. I've progressed from loads of platinum blonde spirals down my back to shorter and darker styles. Not to say I don't love the platinum blonde cascade of hair, it just that I don't think I can make that work for me anymore...sigh.

So to answer your question and speaking strictly for myself, I'm more of a "Newport News", "Ann Taylor" kinda girl and not a "Frederick's" or "Pierre Silber" kinda girl anymore. The reason is primarily because I like to go out in public.

Michelle

Early on, I had edited my desired outfit in an attempt to blend in, but I realized it was making me miserable. These days I'll be damned if I'm going to wear pants just to fit in. What's the point of being a cross dresser if you aren't having fun.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal
    Has the passion for these outfits or clothing items changed to the point that you have no more pleasure in putting on the outfit/the clothing items even when not going out the door?
    For those that loved a certain look (such as school girl, gothic, trampy, 50's housewife, big hair and heavy make up, very glamourous, etc), have you lost your drive or passion to put together the look since going out?

[SIZE="2"]Not at all. I still prefer the modified schoolgirl/preppy outfit that I started with. I don’t think I’ll ever lose my passion for that style. I’m doing more with dresses these days, but I love wearing outfits that revolve around a beautiful skirt…[/SIZE]

Hello Princess!
    Yes, I do sacrifice the really shorter skirts when I go out. I try to blend in with what other ladies are wearing. No use wearing a neon sign when going out! I still feel a bit exposed at places like the mall, theater and town even now. As such, I dress down a bit.
    Charlie

Ha-ha, a good question and something I think about whenever I go out. I am now finding though that sometimes I want to cause a stir as it makes life more entertaining. If I'm going on a long journey on public transport though I will dress appropriately. I do tend to leave my extremely short skirts and dresses for evenings although I use leggings often to make a utility outfit. If I wish to go pubbing and clubbing after shopping I just take the leggings off.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

When I wasn't going out as much, I used to buy lots of fancy gowns and long dresses, mostly on eBay, that now live mostly in the closet. I still dress a lot fancier than the average woman at the mall, but it's stylish skirts and tops that at least look daytime-appropriate. (My style is remarkably similar to that of Joann07, although my face is not as attractive.) I think this us a combination of: (1) I want to look more like I belong (not necessarily "blend") in the real-world settings I prefer; (2) my tastes and skills at matching things have improved over the years; (3) I don't hesitate to shop at "mainstream" stores now where they sell equally mainstream clothes.

But I've still got enough gowns to get me through about the next ten years of holiday parties!

- Diane

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Ah yes, the crossdressers dilemma Do we wear something cute but toned down to blend in in public places thus improving our chances of not being read or do we wear something pretty and feminine that will make us stand out more? Humm .... it's a problem to be sure

In my particular case it all depends on how confident or attractive I'm feeling that day. If I think my makeup looks good and I'm feeling pretty and in a confident mood to "absorb" being read then I'll wear a dress and low heels. However, if I want to go out but I'm not in the mood to have people look at me and I just want to be quiet and left alone then I'll wear capris or a cargo skirt and a plain top with 2" slides.

Fortunately I still get to wear my other (previously non-going out) outfits as I go to our TG support groups socials and parties twice a month. That's where I wear my really cute and feminine outfits! Our socials are in a private banquet room of a hotel so it's in a public place but you're somewhat protected. Do you have any support groups near you?
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

yes

It's been a while, but now but I focus only on things that I can actually wear out as a normal looking middle aged woman. No more miniskirts or cheap flashy jewelry. There was no room so out they went.