Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dressed at the mortuary?

Dressed at the mortuary?

Help me out here, folks.

Can I go to the funeral home while dressed?

Nope, nobody died, at least no one I know. The local funeral home is having a free pizza party, as a promotional event. They sent me an invitation, and I am considering going.

And if I go, I am thinking of dressing for the event. What will I wear?

Advice please.

"Elvira. Mistress of the Dark"

I would expect that I'm jumping to conclusions about you (my apologies sif so) but mind you, that some people might be offended that you are using this time as an opportunity for your own expression instead of paying your respects to whomever is deceased, thait is if you are talking about a wake. . The family of the one that has passed may see this as you using this as a venue for your own gain & selfishness. They are in emotional distress....why make it a circus? Just my

Secondly, funeral staff are a bit conscious of people they call "ghouls".... whichare people who are peculiarly fascinated with death, and the visceral aspect of things related to death and funerals. They may interpret you the wrong way....That would include "free pizza" events. I 've had enough bump-ins with goth vampires & transgendereds. That's what comes to my mind, so I'm sorry if this is an incorrect understanding of what you are planning on doing. . Don't get me wrong, Harold & Maude is one of my favorite films.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 08-11-2009 at 08:17 PM.

I don't know, I think a funeral home having a promotional event involving free pizza is weird in the first place, so anything beyond that seems like it would be cool to me.

However, I think I'd avoid eating the pizza at this promotional event.

Luckily there's another boat sailing tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie66 View Post
    I would expect that I'm jumping to conclusions about you (my apologies sif so) but mind you, that some people might be offended that you are using this time as an opportunity for your own expression instead of paying your respects to whomever is deceased, thait is if you are talking about a wake. . The family of the one that has passed may see this as you using this as a venue for your own gain & selfishness. They are in emotional distress....why make it a circus? Just my

Secondly, funeral staff are a bit conscious of people they call "ghouls".... whichare people who are peculiarly fascinated with death, and the visceral aspect of things related to death and funerals. They may interpret you the wrong way....That would include "free pizza" events. I 've had enough bump-ins with goth vampires & transgendereds. That's what comes to my mind, so I'm sorry if this is an incorrect understanding of what you are planning on doing. . Don't get me wrong, Harold & Maude is one of my favorite films.
    Yeah, pizza and death! clogged arteries right? or a pizza with the works looking a bit............. visceral

Goth vampires oh my!
    Holy cow.!!!!! transgendereds too? Some real scary folks, those transgendereds.

OOPS!! Almost forgot the OP ( I got scared)....... sorry Magicman. I'd say wear what you'ed like. I don't think they'll have any dead people laying around if it's a promotional event.... just use your usual good taste. Damn, that's one hell of a pizza oven!!!
    Last edited by kellycan27; 08-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Party at a Mortuary? That calls for a LBD, doesn't it? Dressed up with some nice jewelry!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Free pizza at the undertakers? A word of advice DO NOT EAT THE ANCHOVIES!
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Oh wow, the J Geils band... haven't heard that in a LONG time.

MM, if you do go we expect a full report on how they reacted. I wouldn't go because I'm 100% closeted, but you have made it clear that you go out as obviously male... so if you're comfortable going to the grocery store dressed however you want, I don't see why going to a pizza promotional should be any different. I would be a lot more opposed to anything that would attract attention to yourself during someone else's funeral, but obviously that won't be the case here.

Simple answer:

Eating pizza in a place where they store dead bodies?

Nope.

Crysten

Young Senior Citizen Elsa Larson's Avatar
    I consider funeral directors every bit as strange as crossdressers.
    Go en femme.

ASK how you can be sure you will be dressed and groomed as you wish when your time comes.
    What's between your legs and what you like to do with it is your business, not mine. Please give me the same courtesy.
    Everyone who refers to sexuality as a preference reveals their own bisexuality.
    I hope to live long enough to see a time when one's sexuality or gender identity is no more important than one's religion or politics.
    DO link up with your local support group. It's an easy way to meet similar people, help others, educate the public and be part of the political process.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tallelsa/

Go and have fun!

I bet people are dying to go.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-11-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Mostly Harmless...
    I don't see anything wrong in dressing. No one has deceased and it's meant to be a party anyway. So if you are planning to go there, just dress the way you want to. I don't think anyone will mind you there the way you want to be there.

If someone were deceased then I wouldn't recommend going dressed as someone might understand that as not respecting the dead.

It is rather odd that they are having a party like that at a mortuary, though. I hate parties over anything and that might actually be something I'd like to go to. Too bad there is no way in hell there is going to be something like that over here.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

Thank you Samantha, I'd forgotten about Oingo-Boingo!

Now on to our story.......Is there any more proof than this? Our country is in a very bad recession indeed! We need no further proof that a Funeral Home marketing their Pre-need Plans by throwing a pizza party!

I am imagining you standing there in your pretty frock, and Joe Funeral Home is giving you the old "It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have pitch."

If you want to be subjected to "The Hard Sell," about Funeral Plans; go for it baby! I would imagine that anyone else attending, won't be shocked by anything. After all, they are the ones having slices of pepperoni while pre-selecting in The Coffin Room.

One huge advantage for you. If you dress appropriately, you can give them a good idea of the clothing you would select for your "future event." Something tasteful, obviously black or a muted pastel. Since your feet are covered, you won't have to worry about a color clash, you can pick any heels that you want.

Peace and Love, Joanie

From the thread title, I didn't (and maybe this is just me) imagine that the event was a pizza party at a mortuary, but hey, there's a recession on and I suppose that all businesses need to do some promotional activities.

I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "Would you be buried dressed as a woman or a man?". On the one hand, there is less need to be worried about being outed, but on the other hand your close family might find it upsetting. Tough call ;-)

The Belle from Hell! Wrenchette's Avatar

Thumbs up

Okay, this is a new one even for me. I've been in the funeral industry for a few years - more if you count owning a few hearses in high school and college - and I can't say I've heard of a home having a pizza party...

I'd do it! My boss is so cool that I've come to work dressed (not for viewings and such). Not sure how the bereaved would react if they knew that their loved one was embalmed by a crossdresser!

If I didn't say it before, go with your bad self girl!

And Nathalie66 - you've hit one of my very favorite movies as well. My wife is also 16 years older than myself. And I simply LOVE the 1959 Superior Cadillac hearse that Harold had.

Last edited by Shelly Preston; 08-12-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Redheaded woman in a dirty Corvette.

Dear Nathalie - reread the original thread No Funeral!!! Just a promotional event.

I reckon, they wont care what you wear as long as their company has a profile and you might remember them if you need such sewrvices in the future.

Be "you" - there is no disrespect in that. I am sure your choice will be "dead right" !
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Banned Read only
    Wow... you know the economy is bad when the death business is dying.

I do suggest you go dressed, however. It's the polite thing to do while you're alive, anyway.

Don't go

I don't think is a good Idea, evrething has time and place, and a Funeral home,is not best place for CD's.

Mostly Harmless...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra diaz View Post
    I don't think is a good Idea, evrething has time and place, and a Funeral home,is not best place for CD's.
    The same good be said about having a party with pizza at the same place. If they already are planning to offer something like that, I really don't see why they should care what he is wearing. It's a promotional event so it would be bad for them to treat someone like that badly.

I think some dressing is a lot less worse than someone actually making a party in a funeral home to begin with. That isn't really the place to do that, but they own it and if they think it is going to be good for them let them do it.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

At the funeral parlor

How about a ****ty Dolly Parton
    michille

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    ummmm that hearse was WHITE

Genders Vagabond
    since it's a pizza party and not a real funeral, have some fun, go in black complete with veil, and let every body know that it was your "dearly departed's" last wish to have the pizza party.

Angel

Wear black and have fun !!! ..........................as much fun as you can have at a mortuary.
    " Don't get in the way of my mood swing !"

The Funeral Home is the LAST place I want to go!!! Sorry, could not resist saying it.hehe

"I thought it was going to be more along the lines of "Would you be buried dressed as a woman or a man?"..."

As was I.

"On the one hand, there is less need to be worried about being outed, but on the other hand your close family might find it upsetting...."

Yeah, and...?