Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a hobby

Is this a hobby

Hi everybody.
    Here is a word that has been used in a number of posts and it is one that leaves me a little uncomfortable.
    Do you regard dressing as a "Hobby"?
    I for one do not.
    A hobby is some thing you do in your spare time for fun, and yes while I do enjoy what I do it does not fit in the catagory of a hobby for me.
    I consider dressing as part of my inner self which I have only a small amount of control over.
    Any views on this please.
    Philipa Jane

Philippa Jane

A Girl That Wants Out Emmalee_Summers's Avatar
    OMG no for me this is a lifestyle. if i could i would choose to be a woman. i feel more comfortable as a woman then a man. and anyway i have a lot of other hobbies and dress is not one of them

well I think so some it may be a hobbie or at least they think of it like one. I know whatever you want to call it it's part of me as has been as long as i can rember or had a name for it

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipa Jane View Post
    Do you regard dressing as a "Hobby"?

No, it's a necessity. Dresssing when I leave my house keeps me from being arrested when I go out in public.

Now, cross-dressing... yup. That I do for fun.

The minute it ceases being fun is the minute you should quit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipa Jane View Post
    A hobby is some thing you do in your spare time for fun,

Exactly and this is why some people call it a hobby.
    It's my hobby and I have fun doing it.

I dont do it for fun.

I have fun whist I do it!
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Not a hobby for me. I have hobbies and I'm sure I could stop doing them if I wanted to.

Now this is not something I could stop for very long. Do I get enjoyment out of it...absolutely.
    Keely

One of the Reds

Not a hobby! This is who I am. There is nothing that I can do to change.
    Now, shopping is a hobby! I do that because it is fun! Especially when I am adding to my shoe collection!

Aye, for me this is not a hobby - I don't get to do it very often, but when I do, I do it more for my own sanity than anything else. Every moment I spend in the clothing of my physical gender is a moment I am lying to myself.

But for others, it may be different. There are many out there for whom CDing is just a fun diversion, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The same as with other things in life. I went to tech school to learn mechanics and work on cars, but I don't want to become a professional in the field - for me, cars are a hobby. One I am very passionate about, but a hobby nonetheless.

:3
    [SIZE="1"]Nobody wants to go it on their own
    Everyone wants to know they're not alone
    Somebody else that feels the same somewhere
    There's gotta be somebody for me out there
    [/SIZE]

I'm with most of the rest. I consider it a big part of my total being. When I do get some time to dress, I feel as if I am a complete person. My classic car tinkering is the hobby in my life!

"Is it a hobby"?......I like this question.

I was discussing this very subject with a kinky lady friend just last night whilst wearing hold-ups under my jeans with black ballet shoes (or dolly shoes if you're in the UK). I explained to her that the almost unisex shoes with a hint of nylon on view was just perfect for me. I quite like the idea of 'OK you've spotted me, but only because you were looking at me anyway'. Perhaps it's a touch of exhibitionism, a smidgin' of suggestion and a dash of femininity, just me being who I am happy to be.

Now, when it comes to dressing, it's more about the exhibitionism combined with covertness. It's a strange mix but I like it. So fully dressing is actually more of a hobby for me. I like the idea of changing into someone else. I'd love to walk past people who know me just to see the look of confusion on their faces, then see them again later in the day, in male mode. Imagine listening to their story of "hey I saw a woman earlier, well actually I think it may have been a crossdresser".
    Regarding what is written above: Avoid friendly fire, it causes unnecessary tension. Seek clarification if theres any hint of misunderstanding.

Take care.

Words Connotation and Denotation

The connotation of a word can have an emotional component to it. Sometimes the word "hobby" in the context of cross-dressing is used as a weapon, such as, "it's just a hobby, get over it".

The denotation of hobby is it's spare-time recreational pursuit. So for me, cross-dressing does fall within those parameters.

But the reality of the situation gets missed for me when this word is used. I have no choice about the thoughts that run through with my mind at any given moment, and they do have to do with dressing and feeling feminine.

I'm not hostile to the word in general, I just don't think it covers the true nature of our condition.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I I I I N E E D T O D O O O I t

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanna View Post
    Exactly and this is why some people call it a hobby.
    It's my hobby and I have fun doing it.
    Yep, its FUN for me too! Let us not forget that Cross-dressing is symptomatic of a variety of different "conditions" that people may have. It can range from a fun "hobby" to an "irrestable drive" or " psychological necessity", depending on the underlying reason one cross dresses.

We are not dealing with different "degrees" of a singular condition but rather a secondary act or symptom (CDing) common to many diverse underlying causes that have varying degrees of importance and significance to different individuals.

I consider it as a hobby but at the same time I have a real NEED to dress from time to time. It satisfies a deep need to express the fem side of myself. Sometimes words have different meanings for different people.
    [SIZE="4"]Mary Jane[/SIZE]

May those that love us, love us. Those that don't love
    us may God turn their hearts. And if he can't turn their
    hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping.

In my life I've went through so many "hobbies" I can hardly recall them all.

I've built and raced cars, built giant telescopes, put together aquariums, made pirate radio stations, built and used my own handmade sailboats, explored wild caverns, climbed rocks, learned three instruments and played in several bands, become obsessed with archery, built guitars, bows, model airplanes, tinkered with electronics, built computers, played chess, collected comic books, LP's, books, and baseball cards as a kid, learned to sew professionally, sculpt professionally, photograph professionally, draw, write, sing, bake, garden, backpack, camp, bicycle long distances, raise birds.....the list could go on, and I'm but 35 still.

My house is full of the remnants of one obsessive hobby after another, and 90% of them come on like a fire of passion, and then leave me just as cold after a bit.

I got to thinking, what has always been there through all of the rest of it, that has never left me cold? What is actually not a 'hobby,' in my life of ever-changing hobbies?

1. My wife and family
    2. My closest lifelong friends
    3. What I do with mirrors.
    4. My dreams.

(I sometimes refer to cross-dressing as 'what I do with mirrors.')

"Hobby" has a bad connotation for me these days, being synonymous with "medium-term obsession." Cross-dressing doesn't fit the bill, it's just part of who I am, one of the good parts.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

It's not a hobby for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wen4cd View Post
    (I sometimes refer to cross-dressing as 'what I do with mirrors.')
    Now, I love that line. Very nice.
    O

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I consider my crossdressing to be a hobby and there would be no problems in leaving it. Like I've said several times, "Once the passion and fun of crossdressing stops, I'll stop and seek something new to spend my spare time".
    However, I don't consider other people's crossdressing to be a hobby unless they say so.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 08-14-2009 at 08:29 AM.

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    For me it's not a hobby.

It's the lifestyle I love so much and make me happy of what I am.
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Yeah, it's a hobby for me. Kind of like breathing is a hobby. I can stop it for awhile but then I just have to do it again.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Hobby>obsession = obsession<hobby.....I'm guessing that lots of people who are into model railroading or airplanes (or whatever) and consider themselves hobbyists would also say that it's something that lives deep within their souls. This is an activity that I think about daily, and pursue in my spare time. So even if it's a manifestation of what is a big part of my soul, others could say the same thing about their more conventional "hobbies". Perhaps it's accurate to say it's something more than a "mere" hobby, but something less than total obsession. Or maybe not. Because there are times when the obsession seems to take over.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Is crossdressing a hobby?....Lets find out!!

My big hobby is modifying cars, how does crossdressing compare?.....

Modifying cars
    Crossdressing

Is it fun?.....

Yes
    Yes

Do I spend as much time as possible doing it?....

Yes
    Yes

Do I spend any money I have spare on it?....

Yes
    Yes

Does my S.O. enjoy my interest as much as I do?....

Yes
    Yes

Would my S.O. like me to give my interest up?....

No
    No

Could I give up my interest?....

If forced..Yes
    If forced..No

Conclusion....I guess crossdressing is more than a hobby!!

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    to me My crossdressing is just a hobby, so I suppose I differ from many above.

Yes, I do crossdress, but it is not something I need do daily, in fact I have not dressed for weeks now, due to the school holiday's in the UK, and won't for nearly another month yet!

At present the chance to dress is just not there, and I just get on with it, and accept that when the time comes I will be ready, in fact one of the last things I did before there break was to have a good sort out, of my stuff. however I know I will get to the end of there holiday time, and if I'm not ready or feeling like I want to dress, then I won't.

I think crossdressing can obcess people, and to some it can become an obsession, even in my case, I have to many clothes and far to many wigs (to the point I'm going to thin those down in time) but to me Crossdressing is no different from my other "Main hobby" and I suppose the fact that in the last month I've spent about £20 on my dressing and far more on my other hobby, surely must mean to me, it's just a hobby.
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Call it a hobby or whatever you choose to call it. CD-ing is definitely a choice.
    It's not something you're physically forced to do, so it's a personal choice.
    Yes, I already know this thread will go exactly the same route all other threads like this go.

Hobby is something you do in your spare time. If I could spend the rest of my like as a woman, I would do it. If’s my way of life, part of myself