Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a hobby

Philipa Jane,

Chances are if you've encountered any of my posts, you saw me use the word 'hobby'. Yup - I'm one of the culprits! I use the term loosely, just like I occasionally refer to some of my friends as 'gentlemen' - and they know it and get a laugh.

Hobby. Really? No - for me, more of a compulsion. The reason I crossdress is because I can't stop. It's a part of my identity - hidden - but there nonetheless. I enjoy this, and as long as I can do so on occasion, I am growing and progressing as an individual.

I use the term 'hobby' with tongue-in-cheek.

Alannah

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    The minute it ceases being fun is the minute you should quit it.
    Not exactly. I wouldn't call "dressing" "fun", it's a part of my identity. And sometimes thinking about "IT" can make me sad, which is of course...not fun. But I am transgendered, and a femme, and an affinity for the "femme things" is a part of me no matter what. So quitting, is not an option. :-)

Veronica
    Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

hobby, I don't know

I have had this need, or desire to cross dress for a very long time. I too have wondered if this is just a fetish that I have. But I have supressed it in the past, and still do now at times and the better part of me keeps comming back. I dont take the opportunities to physically dress up en femme very often, but that doesn't keep Jennifer from being part of my life. I am her and she is me and this I do accept and love. No, I don't think its a hobby, We or at least for the time being I am both, and trying to supress A very important part of my being makes me sad emotionally and spiritually. I love both sides of me. No its not a hobby, for me anyway.

While the need to dress is a very deep part of me and is definitely a lifestyle of itself, I do acknowledge that there are parts of the process that I approach like a hobby. Putting together a pretty femme presentation is certainly a kind of craft, and it is true art to be able to do makeup well, or coordinate outfits. And I approach shopping much the same whether it's for pretty clothes or arts-and-crafts supplies -- I can tell you where the best deals and products are at many of the stores in town in either domain. Finally, I read lots of books, magazines and websites to learn more about my craft, whether it's styling my hair or the latest airbrush techniques.

I don't mean to disparage those who only see this as an issue of personal identity or political consciousness, as it is that to me, as well. But there is a superficial, practical layer to the craft that can be seen and practiced like any other creative hobby or club activity. And I like it when other girls show off the results of their work in the photo section here!

- Diane

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnieszka Svetlanova View Post
    For me this is kind of like a drug addiction without any harmful effects.
    My bank account doesn't think so!

I, personally, do not regard this as a hobby. It it connected to the deepest part of me. Nevertheless, I have spoken to so many different kinds of girls that I realize that the spectrum goes from CD hobby, to fetish, to TV, to female side, to two-spirited, to TG, to woman born in a man's body, with many, many other gradations in between.

Hobby "storm"

Hello and thanks to all who have replied to the question.
    Wow what a cross section of views.
    The outcome of this for me at least is that I shall try to be more relaxed with the word and the inferences it places on my CDing.I guess I am over sensitive.
    My reason for the objection to the word"hobby" is that I felt it was a way of putting us in a category that felt demeaning to what is an essential part of many of us.
    For many years I have had hobbies that have been good for awhile and have died when I lost interest in them.
    I don't think the same would apply to my other persona "Philipa".
    She is more of a way of life.
    Philipa Jane

Philipa Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Brown View Post
    Call it a hobby or whatever you choose to call it. CD-ing is definitely a choice.
    It's not something you're physically forced to do, so it's a personal choice.
    Yes, I already know this thread will go exactly the same route all other threads like this go.
    Personal choice mmm yes -physically forced ahh no but

It is a choice but the mystery lies
    in the drive! What drives you to crossdress Jenny? hmm??

Kelsy
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

No, I don't consider my crossdressing as a hobby. It's part of who I am, and when I really think about it, if it was possible for me, I would be dressed as a female most of the time. Now that doesn't sound like a hobby to me.

Color me a "hobbyist" P.C. Sums up my feelings pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    I consider my crossdressing to be a hobby and there would be no problems in leaving it. Like I've said several times, "Once the passion and fun of crossdressing stops, I'll stop and seek something new to spend my spare time".
    However, I don't consider other people's crossdressing to be a hobby unless they say so.
    However, I think I would have some trouble leaving it behind. But if it wasn't fun anymore, I suppose it would be easier.
    Mary

Yes, some do believe that. But, it's all just an excuse. Think about it. In a way, that's why the fantasy of "forced feminization" is so popular. That concept removes all the guilt & shame because you are being coerced against your will and you have no choice. It's just another form of excuse.
    Don't get me wrong here...anyone who "wants" to cd, I say go for it. Just don't claim it's "necessary", because it's not - it's a choice.

Sorry but what a load of tosh.

Xx Vicky xX

I dress because I have to.

The hobbie comes in with the shopping and everything else related to it. I can spend hours looking at women's clothes and never seem to get bored with it but I do not have to. I can spend hours looking at pictures of women, studing every detail related to makeup, hair, and how they present themselves to the camera but I do not have to do that.

The trouble with the words 'hobby' and 'lifestyle' is that they carry an implication that it's a choice...

Call it a hobby or whatever you choose to call it. CD-ing is definitely a choice.
    It's not something you're physically forced to do, so it's a personal choice.
    Wearing the clothes, etc may be a choice - although there are plenty I know who suffer mentally if they can't express themselves that way.. But the way you feel isn't a choice - it's the way we are made?

What person in their right mind would choose this - it's not an easy road? You can only make the best of the life you are given..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Yes and No

Hello All,

I can say for sure that my buying and collecting clothing is definately a hobby. A while ago, when I lived in New England and had a good job, I spent alot of my spare time collecting books - I knew where all the used book barns where and loved digging for underpriced, interesting books. It was ALOT of fun, there seemed to be an unlimited variety and supply of decent collectable books.

Today, in Philly, I find an analogous situation with the womens clothing in the thirft shops. I spend alot of time digging for good quality clothes and take home lots of it for cheap, so that's the hobbiest / collector side of CDing for me.

The rest, about why I wear the clothes and enjoy it so much, is much more complicated. I am content, however, at this point in my life, to just enjoy dressing and nights out without analyzing it too much.

My 2 pence

SS / Ann

Well if it is a hobby, it is one I didnt willingly take up. Also it is one that at times Ive been fightting to stop. So for some people it is a hobby. For me it has been an integral part of who I am, even though I struggle with it.

Yeah it is a hobby.
    I don`t do it that often(CD`ing) but when I do it is always fun

I have hobbies Them I could do without this I can't It;s no hobby PJ.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_Scot View Post
    Sorry but what a load of tosh.
    What language is that? I've never heard of "tosh".
    cd-ing is a choice. Anyone who says it's not is making excuses for what they do. Do you feel you need to make an excuse? Why not just be honest and say it's your choice to cd because that's what you want to do?

Platinum Member

A Hobby?????

Is this a hobby?????
    Hell no this is serious buisness it's a life style for me it's who I am.
    .................................................. .........thanks........ORCHID

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnieszka Svetlanova View Post
    For me this is kind of like a drug addiction without any harmful effects. I have to do it and I will lose my mind if I dont and it feels so good. All I did was try on a pair of pantyhose out of curiosity when I was 13, just a little taste. Then I tried on some shoes, then a skirt... Now Im buying dresses in crowded walmarts just to get my fix and damn the consequences. It never ends.

I hide it from everyone of course and sometimes go several days without it to keep up appearances but that always makes things worse for my sanity. I'm not seeking a cure though, I like my drug too much.
    ^ Except for that sentence about hiding it I'm totally with Agnieszka Svetlanova Lately, with the whole movin across country thing with no job I've been a bit stressed One of the few things that's kept me sane has been dressing up! It takes me away a bit from the everyday ya know?

I could see how it's a hobby for some people, addiction for some and a way of life for others, individuality is lovely isn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    nobody cross-dresses by compulsion (except in fantasy fiction). So whatever we each say, we're only expressing our own personal attitude about it because the objective truth lies between the two.

But please let's not kid ourselves that it's something we have no control over. However involuntary our emotions are, we all have control over our actions; it's called being an adult and the law will hold you to it. If you can't control your actions, see a doctor.
    Hmm, well thanks for being the first person to really offend me around here. What exactly do you call it when I'm minding my own business as a man and suddenly I am overwhelmed by the urge to crossdress and until I do it I feel progessively worse?

Control? Alright, I know from the last year that I can go months without indulging any of this but to do so literally drives me near to insanity. Ask a drug addict about self-control and you might find me a kindred spirit.

If I didn't have this site, I don't know where I'd be. I have to do this and I'm not sure I would have made it without the internet. I joined because I was at the end of my rope and I couldn't do this alone anymore. I needed the support of people who knew at least to some degree where I was at, not the ridicule of an elitist.

I challenge you to avoid all things cross-dressing for a year before you get back to me officially, reporting all feelings throughout. I know I couldn't do it.

If you acknowledge that for some of us this isn't a hobby how can it not be a compulsion? Where does the truth lie for you?
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

What language is that? I've never heard of "tosh".
    cd-ing is a choice. Anyone who says it's not is making excuses for what they do. Do you feel you need to make an excuse? Why not just be honest and say it's your choice to cd because that's what you want to do?
    I do not need to make an excuse my dear, I accepted years ago what I am.

You are the one that seems to be trying to justify so strongly that it is a hobby. Mabye you are the one trying to make excuses for what you do. There is a saying. 'Thou doth protest to much'. I think this sums you up.

Looks like there are a lot of people on here making excuses eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    Tosh = nonsense, rubbish, bullshit, balderdash...
    Thanks Katie.

Xx Vicky xX

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Gina-

I like what you said, I feel it brings up a valid and worthwhile distinction in the debate. Honestly, would any of us "choose" being TG and its physical expression, wearing women's clothes, whether in public or in private, if it were simply a matter of "choice"? Just for grins and giggles, for the fun of it? Given the general social disapprobation of crossdressing, I seriously doubt it.

As I've mentioned before I have a few hobbies, my main one is flyfishing and flytying (yes, their tiny little legs are hard to hold), when I was a kid way back in the dawn of time I was into model cars, model airplanes and model railroads. I also love reading sci-fi and consider it a hobby. Do I feel a real need to do any of these things, do I or did I feel compelled to do them? Nope, not at all.

Do I feel a real need to express who I am in a feminine way? To be who I actually feel myself to be? Yes. Could I not do it? Sure. Just like you can be celibate all your life if you choose to do so. One only need examine recent headlines to see how well suppressing a fundamental need works out. To me this takes it beyond being a hobby...don't know where it takes it...a matter for another thread.

Hugs...Joni Mari

Quote Originally Posted by msginaadoll View Post
    Well if it is a hobby, it is one I didnt willingly take up. Also it is one that at times Ive been fightting to stop. So for some people it is a hobby. For me it has been an integral part of who I am, even though I struggle with it.
    Last edited by Joni Marie Cruz; 08-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

it is a hobby and a necessity for me. But along the definition of a hobby, it one that i cannot stop nor do I want to.

Lord I hope not - this is my life - I live to be JoAnne - no way is this just a hobby

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"