Thread: Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

Don't Ask, Don't Tell?

So this quesiton is for any of you girls who have knowledge of the military... I've been thinking about joining for many reasons which are beyond the scope of this post. But I'm curious -

Does don't ask, don't tell, apply to crossdressing? What if one is interested in men en femme, and your friends know about it - is this grounds for discharge? Even if you've never engaged in homosexual acts? How likely is it to be discovered? I mean if somebody finds a picture of you in a dress... is that grounds for an investigation?

I really hate the notion of an enforced silence on matters of sexuality.

Also, what about for security clearances? What is the guidance? I, as a civilian, do defense work, and am on my way to getting secret (already got my interim) and hopefully one day top secret clearance, so I have to wonder if crossdressing would effect clearance - and my career. Further, what's the best course of action if it somehow comes up during an investigation? I don't think it's such a big deal as almost everybody who matters to me knows I do it - so it's not much use as blackmail. So I would guess it's good to be open. But at the same time there's no box to check for "crossdresser" on the investigation form... Anybody have experience with this?

Try this site for some interesting reading on the subject.
    http://www.sldn.org/templates/get/re...=19&record=726

Basically, yes, don't ask don't tell applies with respect to CDing in the military. But that also depends on your unit. One of the girls here is now in Iraq, and she is one of two known CD's in her unit. And noone cares. But that is not always the case. Even if the officers don't care, some of the soldeiers might. Not a good situation to be in when others have live ammo around you or you are depending on them to watch your back.

As for secret and top secret clearances. If others around you know, then it will probably come out in the ensuing investigations.

Never try to hide it or anything else for that matter. Hiding anything can result in being denied.

If they ask direct, tell what you said here, that you are 'out' and thus are not a security risk. Heck, ask them if they want to see you dressed
    DonnaT