Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time out and a run in with the cops

'Gater, gamer, sleeper Ellie Lierae's Avatar

Talking First time out and a run in with the cops

Hey all, went to the beach today in my new bikini looking to work on a tan, I was there for about an hour and a half, well out of the public's view(or so I thought), when 3 cops come walking up the beach to me. Apparently a couple of old guys had seen me and called them on it, 2 of them were fairly young and didn't mind the fact that I crossdress and asked for I.D and a bag search which I allowed, rather than fight them over it, but the third guy was a fairly old one and didn't like the fact that I dress out of the norm one bit.

On the walk back to the beach the young female cop started asking me questions about CDing like how long had I done it what sort of clothes I was owned, whether I owned any shoes, if my friends and family knew. I answered truthfully, she seemed genuinely interested. Upon returning to my car with them, they searched it for any drugs, which I would never do, the old guy said if I want to do it go into the bush and do it there. They took a photo and left, no charges or official warnings given, I went to a mates place and had a few games of pool.

All in all an interesting day,
    Ellie

So, you are not committing any offences. What reason is there to search anything of yours - or can they just do it without any cause?What grounds were there for "suspecting" you had drugs in the car?
    Why would they need a photo?
    Sorry for all the questions .. just trying to get a handle on police processes where you are.
    Seems you had to go through a lot for doing nothing! I'm glad it didn't spook you. But are you now on some sort of police database?
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

"go into the bush & do it there"???? what a turd!
    K.

OK, don't get me wrong. My grandfather was a cop and then a judge, My father was also a cop. BUT, if I were out, minding my own buisness, no matter how I was dressed, as long as I was dressed, I think that I would have had a problem with this type of harassment!
    There was NO reason to search anything of yours. And there surely was no reason to take your picture.
    You might want to have a conversation with whoever is your local government representative.
    It is a normal police emergency to check out things just because an old man sees something that they don't like?
    And let's not just send one cop to investigate, let's send three!
    You can't be to careful, there might have been a weapon being hidden in your bikini!

Lovely beach you went to, let me know what it is so I can be sure never to spend money there.
    And so we go, on with our lives...
    We know the Truth, but prefer Lies.
    Lies are simple, simple is Bliss.
    Why go against tradition, when we can admit defeat,
    Live in Decline, be the victim of our own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    But are you now on some sort of police database?
    Na, they said that I wont b, didn't even put anything official down. As for searching my car, they have had a few ppl down on the beach in unusual circumstances and most were drug related so they were "playing it safe" lol, I don't mind just means I go out in full costume or not at all(if I go out here in town, not really the kind of town you'd really want to tho). Gotta love Gladstone for that its a tradie town and most are set in their ways, they don't like change. More reason to move to Brisbane next year

I thought that this was your first time out. Kind of ballsy to make the first time out in a bikini!

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDA View Post
    I thought that this was your first time out. Kind of ballsy to make the first time out in a bikini!
    it was my first time out, main reason I was game enough is cause I'm not known well enough in the beach community to worry about being seen, and I thought I was far enough out of sight not to be noticed easily, ohwell, it could have been a lot worse knowing what some of the local police can be like.

Still trying to figuire out how the car was part of the "incident" thus subject to a search...obvously a abuse of power if doen here in the States because that car doesn't relate to them checking on you at all...simply a fishing expedition, plus the photo???? tp go with a Field Interview card I guess...

Am I to assume your either in England or Australia??? with the use of the term went over my "mate's" house and shot a few rounds of pool???

and they wonder why cops get a bad rap!!!!
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    Hi Ellie-

I'm sorry your contact with the local police was under such circumstances. I am somewhat familiar with police procedures, at least here in the states. First of all, any officer, in uniform or not, can simply walk up to anyone and initiate a conversation, just as anybody can walk up to someone and talk to them. It's a free country...more or less. It's all up to you how things proceed from there. Unless the poilice have reason to believe you have commited a crime, then you can simply say you'd rather not speak with them. If you wish, you can display your ID, but you probably don't have to, depending on circumstance and local laws, you can allow them to search your possessions, but you don't have to. Of course, if you refuse, they may badger you a bit with, "What have you got to hide. Do you have drugs or something illegal in your car?" and so on, but they do not have the right to search without your permission or reasonable cause.

As long as you weren't violating any laws regarding public indecency and so on, then what you were doing is perfectly legal. The older cop sounds set in his ways in spite of however much sensitivity training he's received and allowed his own feelings about TG people to leak over into the contact. Younger cops tend to be more accepting, at least somewhat, of alternative lifestyles so long as the law isn't being broken. Not all cops are rectal orifices, but quite a few can be. It sounds like you handled things well.

If you're bothered by how things went down, you may be able to contact your local police department and make your feelings known. Many departments, at least larger ones, have ombudsmen to handle citizen concerns or you can ask to speak with a supervisor. It may not get you anywhere, but it's an option, and who knows, it may do some good.

Oh, and fwiw, the usual disclaimers apply, I'm not an attorney, or cop, so take what I say with a grain or two.

Best of luck to you.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Duality sometimes hurts.. PetiteDuality's Avatar
    They took a picture? What for? What do they plan to do with this picture?

Is the old cop planning to use the picture into the bush?

But seriously, be careful with what they do with this picture, especially if you are not outl

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen-Gaye View Post
    "go into the bush & do it there"???? what a turd!
    K.
    That's probably where he is lurking about hoping to catch some juicy views. Now, who would I think is the pervert?????

i'd say you handled it just about perfectly. we've all i'm sure met the older, stuck in their way police man, no matter which country youre from. accept the questions, and if youve nothing to hide, let them allay their fears. it may not be right, but hell, this was your first time out! i'd have done just the same in the same position. i'd certainly want to keep them happy and then get on my way as quickly as possible. and coming originally from a country where the police trusted no-one, i know the sp.
    hey, it'll set you up well for the next time out though
    jess

Searching your bag and your car without probable cause? I probably wouldn't have handled it the same way as you... but at least everything turned out all right.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jessica millen View Post
    accept the questions, and if youve nothing to hide, let them allay their fears.
    jess

I know I'm going to get flamed on this, but no, no, no! You were completely abused and violated Ellie, and the more people who give in to unwarranted police demands the more police will be encouraged to abuse their power. Yes, it's a very confrontational viewpoint but this is (assuming you live in the U.S) a full-on police state, and if we want to keep the few rights we have left we must fight for them.

You may not realize it, but you put yourself in a VERY dangerous position by letting them search your vehicle and bag (especially if you gave it to them to search, rather than holding it yourself). Believe it or not, planting evidence (particularly drugs) is common practice and had they done it you would have been SOL.

It sucks, but if you plan to go out dressed en-femme in the U.S. you should be aware that you could be hassled by the police and that if you choose to fight them you are in for a major hassle, but it's every citizen's right and responsibility to say NO to being abused by our supposed protectors. They are trained in every kind of dirty trick you can imagine and more, and they use them regularly. The most important part of preparing to go out dressed up should be to know your rights and be prepared to exercise them.

Never, EVER, allow a cop to search your person, belongings, vehicle, or enter your home without a warrant. If they demand you do so, ask them "Am I under arrest? Are you directly ordering me to do xxxx?". If they say "yes" to either, don't fight them but tell them you will allow it under protest, get their badge number and inform them you will be filing a complaint. Above all make no sudden movements, don't talk back, and use your right to remain silent. The worst that will happen is they'll hold you for 24 hours, but any "evidence" they recover will be inadmissible in court. Anything less only opens you up to abuse and possibly planted evidence, against which you will have little to no recourse. They lie, plant, break the law, and play mind games to get whatever they want, because they are trained in the school of 'guilty until proven innocent'.

NEVER trust a cop. no matter how friendly they appear. In fact, that's one of their dirty tricks. By the way, I'd bet a lot of money that you ARE in their database now.

EDIT: just noticed the towns you mentioned so you're probably not in as much danger as I thought. Regardless though, always know your rights
    Last edited by Alayna; 08-18-2009 at 07:29 PM.

The older guy looked like he was itching to find cause to lock me up, so I figured easier to let them search the car and bag find nothing and go on thier way, and yeh I live in australia. I hadn't broken any indecency laws so I know I was in the right, just didnt want the hassle of fighting with them.

If you refuse a inspection of you property, in a public area, as your car on the street, they might bring in a dog, to look for drugs. Alayna may be right about protecting your rights. It is too bad, when the police seem to be holding the cards. Several local departments in Metro Detroit, keep detailed data on all contacts.

I try to avoid any and all contact with the police. And, I have friends who are "on the job". As our local sheriff once told me, "there are *ssholes in every profession." And an *sshole cop can surely cause you grief, good or not. I'm glad your encounter went no further.

O

Such paranoia. If a law enforcement officer asks you to give permission to search your property, your car, your handbag whatever, you can always refuse unless they have probable cause, in which case they'll just search because they can. Everyone has the right to refuse to have their property searched without a warrant or to be unreasonably detained. You can always choose to break off contact, just say, "Nice to chat, but I have to be going." If you are being charged or detained, then they will tell you and...charge or detain you for further investigation if they have reasonable cause to believe you commited a crime. Does this get abused? Yes, sadly it does, but it's not endemic and some sort of policy. How ridiculous to even think so.

No one has to submit to the invasion of their privacy or rights. Yeah, some cops are bullies and a-holes, some will try to bully or intimidate you, but in the end it's up to you. No, you're not being singled out, it's not some conspiracy, mostly it has to do with cops being bored and gurls like us standing out and being something unusual. Is there a data base for FI (Field Interviews)? Yeah, but not a shared one, at least not usually, just local. All this paranoia about cops being your enemy is just plain crazy. Now flame me for that.

-Joni Mari
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Marie Cruz View Post
    Such paranoia. If a law enforcement officer asks you to give permission to search your property, your car, your handbag whatever, you can always refuse unless they have probable cause, in which case they'll just search because they can. Everyone has the right to refuse to have their property searched without a warrant or to be unreasonably detained. You can always choose to break off contact, just say, "Nice to chat, but I have to be going." If you are being charged or detained, then they will tell you and...charge or detain you for further investigation if they have reasonable cause to believe you commited a crime. Does this get abused? Yes, sadly it does, but it's not endemic and some sort of policy. How ridiculous to even think so.

No one has to submit to the invasion of their privacy or rights. Yeah, some cops are bullies and a-holes, some will try to bully or intimidate you, but in the end it's up to you. No, you're not being singled out, it's not some conspiracy, mostly it has to do with cops being bored and gurls like us standing out and being something unusual. Is there a data base for FI (Field Interviews)? Yeah, but not a shared one, at least not usually, just local. All this paranoia about cops being your enemy is just plain crazy. Now flame me for that.

-Joni Mari
    Joni I must say I agree with you, under other circumstances I probably would have broken it off and seen where it led, but since I'm not out to my family(who I still live with) I decided better to go along with it and not kick up a stink than have mum and dad know about it just yet.

Dear Ellie-

Girl, I think you handled things just fine under the circumstances and I'm glad things went well, at least over all, for you. Police encounters can be quite intimidating, believe me I know, and I think from what you have said that you handled it so well. Truthfully, police officers run the gamut from total arseholes to kind, sympathetic and understanding individuals, after all, they are drawn from the general populace (hopefully with careful screening and evaluations) and have many of the same prejudices and foibles as any other person you might meet on the street. The definition of professionalism is to be able to set those things aside whilst on the job and treat everyone they encounter with courtesy and respect. Some do, some don't.

I suppose one thing we should all remember is that being TG and our expression of it is nothing to be ashamed of and is neither wrong, illegal, immoral or bad.

Ellie, I wish you the very best. May the Goddess always smile on you and yours and hold you safe from harm.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    Last edited by Joni Marie Cruz; 08-18-2009 at 10:14 PM.

CD/Metal Head/Gamer/Otaku Saren's Avatar
    The horrible thing is, what they did was not illeage...atleast if it was in the states. All they have to do is invoke the Patriot Act, (they just have to say, "you were acting in a suspicious manner) and search any part of you or your possisions. But as you don't state what country you live in, it is hard to say much about it.

Ellie, sounds like the officers were just doing their job.They got a call they have to investigate it. I wouldn't read to much into it. I'm sure they've seen stranger things than you trying to get a tan.

I've gotten stopped by the police a number of times. They usually behave professionally. No problem. I realize they are just doing their job.

Be safe. Be smart.

Dawn Marrie.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

Banned Read only
    Ah... you know what they say... when you assume, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me."

It should be clear to anyone who read past the first post (though the modus operandi seems to be barge in without reading any further) that the OP lives in Australia.

Australia was never meant to be a free country. It is a prison colony.

I say "is" not "was" for a good reason... and anyone who understands the core principles of human liberty will understand.

So, this is perfectly normal behavior for Australian police, and Australian subjects.

Kudos to you Americans who got riled, but you're barking up the wrong tree, don't you think?

CD/Metal Head/Gamer/Otaku Saren's Avatar
    Who got rilled up? I don't quite get what makes it obvious that it took place in Australia? Nothing seemed strange for me. It sounded like something that would happen in America, or England, or any number of other countries. I person was just pointing out, they can pull that kind of stuff in the states due to the Patriot Act.

[EDIT]

I missed the towns that was posted....I didn't see those the first read through. It does indeed sound like Australia.
    Last edited by Saren; 08-18-2009 at 11:34 PM.