Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time out and a run in with the cops

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    No. Actually, I'm not, far from it. However, I do have a background and a perspective that isn't grounded solely in prejudice. Truly, it amazes me that a group such as ourselves, who would like to have, if not acceptance, at least a modicum of tolerance, and not be judged only the actions or appearances of a few, are so willing to turn and savage some other group and take as representative of the whole the actions of a relative few.

Of course I realize that you and your ilk are impervious to mere logic and persuasion, so I'll save my breath. As Friedrich Schiller (yes, he was a furriner) wrote, "Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain." If you ever choose to visit reality I'll buy you a beer and we can chat.

Oh, and you can call me anything you want, water and duck backs and so on, but I don't think you should call Ellie, who originally posted, either ignorant or naive. Of course, I can't speak to her possible naivete, but she certainly doesn't seem ignorant to me.

-Joni Mari
    Last edited by Joni Marie Cruz; 08-24-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Ellie; I think you handled it very well considering the hassle you could have created screaming for your rights. The police have to investigate a complaint but once they spoke to you that should have been that.

Margot

Quote Originally Posted by Joni Marie Cruz View Post
    No. Actually, I'm not, far from it. However, I do have a background and a perspective that isn't grounded solely in prejudice. Truly, it amazes me that a group such as ourselves, who would like to have, if not acceptance, at least a modicum of tolerance, and not be judged only the actions or appearances of a few, are so willing to turn and savage some other group and take as representative of the whole the actions of a relative few.

Of course I realize that you and your ilk are impervious to mere logic and persuasion, so I'll save my breath. As Friedrich Schiller (yes, he was a furriner) wrote, "Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain." If you ever choose to visit reality I'll buy you a beer and we can chat.

Oh, and you can call me anything you want, water and duck backs and so on, but I don't think you should call Ellie, who originally posted, either ignorant or naive. Of course, I can't speak to her possible naivete, but she certainly doesn't seem ignorant to me.

-Joni Mari
    Who the hell says Ilk in 2009?!

Fine, you want civil, you've got civil, but let me say this, don't you ever pull that "Furriner" crap on me, get over your little holier than thou attitude and grow up and visit reality yourself.

First of all, you assume that because I say I hate cops, I must hate every cop, ever, and you add in that stuff about hating black people, or whatever, then you proceed to further insult me by using some redneck mock spelling of the word "Foreigner", assuming that I'm some backwoods hick who obviously hates everything unamerican.

The hell? Just because the group we're part of has been judged means we can never ever judge another group again? Because its not politically correct? You're the one trying to please everyone, and let me tell you something, it leaves you open to a lot of disappointment in life when you sit there and force yourself to be tolerant. We are born with a natural instinct to hate those who have wronged us. Its part of being human and its natural. But how dare you say I have a background based solely in prejudice, my parents raised me very well thank you, and I happen to have friends of all walks of life. INCLUDING POLICE OFFICERS. Not to mention I still planned on joining the police force because I believe there are too many "bad" cops and not enough good ones.

So get over yourself, quit hiding behind some hypocritical shield of tolerance, and just admit the police treated her badly. Why did they take a picture? Why did they ask to search her? The car? There was NO REASON. And its her right as a human being to refuse that search, she had done nothing wrong - and when people cave into the police like that we all look a little bit weaker. You have to stand up for your rights, you have to make a fuss, and you have to be a stronger person in the face of adversity. ALL THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE WAS CONFIRM WHAT WAS HAPPENING, WROTE IT DOWN, AND LET HER ON HER WAY. There was no need for the extra. Period.

I've read this thread several times now and it is bothering me....

Yes they (the PO's) have a right to approach you and do a FI...Field Interview and inquire about what your doing...but beyond that NADA..

The two things that bother me is the picture taking and the search of the vehicle...both beyond the scope of the "FI"...

A) Picture...OK they identify you as a "gang member' so they take a picture for a current photo and attach it to the Field Interview card so they can match the data and a photo...no problem there if your a gang member or have an extensive armed robbery or burglary past...that's just good investigative practice if your one of the above....the cops said no report would be made...OK so then why the picture??? Where is the picture going??? No report then where is the picture going to be attached to????

Search the vehicle??? Big NO NO!!!! You were on the beach sunbathing ,..please tell me how the vehicle and subsequent search of it comes into play???? It flat out doesn't and they had no legal standing to bring a search into play...they (more likely one of them) wanted to go "fishing" and see if they could find something..it was irrelivant, unlawful and IMHO constitued harrshment of you and violated your rights abet even though you consented to the search...I think I'd probably would have said no to a consent search...asked if they had probable cause to search or warrant...otherwise NO...might have PO'd whoever was asking, but he was trying to bully you and he did....however the good news is if by chance he found something there or placed something to be found and yes girls that does happen in rare ccassions....it would have more than likely be thrown out on a motion hearing to supress by any lawyer more than two weeks out of law school....

Bottom line is you got the run around beyond what is allowed by department policies as well as by laws of the land...be it US, Britian or Australia since all there laws are rooted in the same gender...

Abuse of power or authority is wrong regardless of the reason....JMHO!!!
    Last edited by Sherry-Stephanie; 08-24-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

My that was an interesting day the older cop sounds like a jerk.
    Angie

I think you did well with the knowledge you had of what a PO could and could not do. The only thing I worry about is the picture and what is going to come of it. If the older PO does not like CD'ers he could post it on the internet and out you to the world. Unless a crime has been committed he had no legal reason to take a photo. Hope everything comes out OK. Even an Inmate in prison has a right to refuse his picture being taken without written permission.

Clear Air Turbulence Joni Marie Cruz's Avatar
    I judged you by what you wrote. Just as you judged me by what I wrote and continue to make assumptions about me based on that. If I offended you, too bad, get over it. If you assume that what I wrote about people who are ignorant and prejudiced was specifically targeted at you, then that was your choice, wear it if you want to. No apology's forthcoming.

You said you hate cops. You didn't qualify it in any way at all, you didn't say, "I hate cops who act like a-holes." Just that you hated cops. What else would a person assume? If you had said, "I hate crossdressers." then I, or anyone else, would assume you meant each and every crossdresser. Make yourself clear.

As far as the OP, the police acted within the scope of their authority. Ellie could have left at any time but chose not to. Was she perhaps not fully cognizant of her rights, possibly, probably, but nothing the police did constituted harassment in any realistic sense of the word. One thing that I find somewhat amusing here is that the OP didn't seem all that upset about the encounter, the people who are all hot and bothered appear to be ones who have an axe to grind. Just an observation, but if you want to take it personally, you go right ahead. Have a day.

-JMC

<snip>
    "Because equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who's confronted with it."

--Joss Whedon, to a reporter who asked, "So why do you create these strong women characters?"

Just a girl in the world
    I think this story pretty much sums up cops well. Some are cool, some are assholes, just like everyone else in any other profession. I do think they crossed the line taking the picture and searching your car. Of course, here in the land of the free, if they really want to search your car they will anyway as all they need is some form of probable cause. "I smelled drugs" is all it takes.

Where was this at exactly?