Thread: Did the boss see???

Did the boss see???

So I was just responding to a post when my boss came into my office. No problem... I just minimized the browser window, turned my chair to face him, and started talking. When I looked back over I saw that my mouse was hovering over the browser icon in the dock (taskbar for you Windows users) and guess what... the tooltip on the screen read "crossdressers.com".

AH! I reached over and bumped the mouse to get the cursor off of the browser icon and the tooltip went away. But was I too late? After he left I put the cursor back over the browser icon and stood where he was standing. I could read it clearly. Double AH!

So, I might have just outed myself to my boss. The weird thing is I am just sitting here laughing about it. So long as I remain employed, I don't care if they know or not!

Anyway, just a funny story to perk up everyone's Wednesday.

Something similar happened to me some two years ago. It was a co-worker though, not a boss. Nothing was ever said, and two years later I'm still employed.

I'd love to be able to come to work en femme. Our work policies even support this, and I know of people in my organization who are actively transitioning without losing their jobs. But, they're not in the same division as I am. I have a wife and kids depending on me, so I don't push it. If I had nothing to lose, screw 'em

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Phew! For the future, I would use Command-H (hide window) as the window goes away and if you hover over the dock, only the word "Safari" comes up. A simple Command-Tab and you're back in business. Either that or you can use what I just did while answering this post and someone came into my office - have another browser window open (and placed in the same place) and use Command-tilde (~) to cycle through the windows.

Kathi

That's why my desk faces the door!
    DonnaT

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post
    Phew! For the future, I would use Command-H (hide window)
    Kathi
    Now that is a beautiful thing! All this time and I didn't even know about that shortcut!

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    That's the beauty of being both a geek, and an Apple developer!

Kathi

it happen to me also, i think my co-worker know's but she has not mention anything so far.

I usually have crossdressers.com running in the background here at work also.I'm quite sure it's been spotted but as we have such a huge Diversity Program I really dont think anyone can say anything.
    Kimmy 55

Mandy, ....Reason number 349 for being selfemployed. My "boss" ( me ) doesn't care what I "look" at on company time.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I don't even know what the command key is. no geek here. lol
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Phew! For the future, I would use Command-H (hide window) as the window goes away and if you hover over the dock, only the word "Safari" comes up. A simple Command-Tab and you're back in business.

Kathi
    Cool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Wild Women Never Get The Blues[/SIZE]

I just had something similar happen with my wife. She allows me to dress, but does not wish to see me dressed. A few days ago I posted some new shots of myself and the thumbnails were still n my computer. She came down this morning to talk to me while I was working on images from our latest trip. She looked at my screen and there were the 5 thumbnails that said "Alice #1,etc." She said what are those and it was pretty obvious. I said they are self shots of Alice and she asked to see them. I was scared as hell, but complied. I brought them up, she looked at them and said "nice". Then she left. Nothing said since and she has not asked what they were for. I'm waiting to see what happen next and hope all will be OK.

Don't forget...you boss knows what you are doing on the computer through log reports. The thing to watch at work is a boss who thinks you are spending too much time doing something other than work.

good thing he didn't walk in on you the other day when you were all dressed up taking pictures!

but seriously, if you were ever confronted about visiting this site you could always give the "pete townsend excuse" and say you were just doing research.

Brilliant. I didn't know about that one!

You're doing this on company time? Tisk, tisk. I think that would be a bigger issue than what you wear.

If you have a good mobile phone, I would suggest you sign up for unlimited internet. You can read just about anything you want while leaving the boss' computer completely out of it. Remember, bosses can tell exactly what you do on their computers if they want to. Not only that, but so can the company computer guy, and it's pretty much part of his/her job to rat you out.

Being self employed I only have to worry about my friends coming in and seeing this on the pc. It has happened but no one has commented.

Executive Transvestite KimberlyJo's Avatar
    Phew! For the future, I would use Command-H (hide window) as the window goes away and if you hover over the dock, only the word "Safari" comes up. A simple Command-Tab and you're back in business. Either that or you can use what I just did while answering this post and someone came into my office - have another browser window open (and placed in the same place) and use Command-tilde (~) to cycle through the windows.

Kathi
    Man I've looked all over my keyboard and I can't find a command key anywhere...just that stupid Ctrl key. I'm writing Bill Gates and angry email...grrrrrr :

BTW...I'm joking.

For us non-apple people:

Windows Key + M will minimize all open windows on your screen without having to touch the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    Remember, bosses can tell exactly what you do on their computers if they want to. Not only that, but so can the company computer guy, and it's pretty much part of his/her job to rat you out.
    This is not as true as you might think. Yes it is possible that there is monitoring software on your company system, or they could look at the history, or the cookies to find out what you've been surfing. But most tech teams I've worked with have too much work on their hands to spend much time spying on the employees. Only the most paranoid of places do this aggressively. Still tho, better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by KimberlyJo; 08-27-2009 at 07:15 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Viva la Revolucion!![/SIZE]

If you can't be honest with your SELF
    Then you can't really live YOUR life.

Man ---- ME ---- WOMAN

Yes, one of the perks of self employment. Dress as I want, browse this site for an hour if I want too...
    " Don't get in the way of my mood swing !"

Quote Originally Posted by Anne66 View Post
    You're doing this on company time? Tisk, tisk. I think that would be a bigger issue than what you wear.

If you have a good mobile phone, I would suggest you sign up for unlimited internet. You can read just about anything you want while leaving the boss' computer completely out of it. Remember, bosses can tell exactly what you do on their computers if they want to. Not only that, but so can the company computer guy, and it's pretty much part of his/her job to rat you out.
    I do company work from home when there are deadlines so a little trade off is fine in my book. I have a blackberry but I hate the web browser on it. I only surf this site on my personal laptop. It is attached to the company network when I am at work so I know there are logs but they are never looked at. We are a very small company and all of us are "computer guys". I could use proxies or even write my own that I could bounce packets through to hide it but I just don't care all that much.

Besides, I make it a point to be so good at my job that no one cares what I do.

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    Hi KimberlyJo

Thanks, I always wondered what that Windows key was for

Edwina

im a lucky girl,my boss knows im transexual as do the others on the office