Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Autogynephilia, anybody?

Wow, no shortage of opinions on this topic! I think Blanchard knows quite a bit and has keen insight to many crossdresser's weaknesses. Perhaps he is a bit cruel in his generalizations. We are still people. I find that any autogynephilia that affects me is, alas, related to the reality that, to be honest, no one else appreciates helen-I don't consider this pure narcissism as I really don't like myself or how I look, but in the fantasy state, I am OK.
    I truly love women, but I sense that I will never be close physically to one who values Helen for who she is and I know that transgenderism and committed crossdressing (I still view it as transvestism) is so ingrained I can't change now at 62. Nor should I be expected to or required.
    I confess envy for those who can 'lightswitch' from crossdressing to be a 'normal' male to maintain conjugal relationships. I can't do that any more.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Raquel June View Post
    I don't like people assuming that I'm some horny dude who gets turned on by dressing like a woman when I'm pretty much the opposite of that.

So, you're a horny chick who gets turned on by dressing like a dude?

Just to throw this out there... some gals assume that I am some horny dude... and I'm toooootally okay with that. It pays off. Wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?
    Last edited by MissConstrued; 08-27-2009 at 11:09 PM.

First off Blanchard is a frackin self centered blow heart ego-fk'in manic TOOL.

Forget for a sec whether or not the term "might" or "might not" fit "some" CD or TS people.

He main and only goal is to promote his own bloated ass and asinine screwed way of looking at the world.

His " Autogynephilia" boils down to everybody who does anything that even remotely falls under his catch all psycho-babble-bullshit rhetoric theory is either one or the other.

Homosexual TS
    1) You are a GAY MALE [You like OTHER MALES]
    Yessss Neo -
    You are NOT a straight Female because Mr Blanchard does NOT think you have a Female mind or identity.
    No to him you are still a MALE. But because you like boys in the bedroom you can be a "TS" in his book.

Non-Homosexual TS
    2) You are a Straight MALE [You like FEMALES] ewwwww
    You like FEMALES - how dare you!!!!!!! But there is hope!
    Because if, according to Mr. Potato Head, you like girls then you are definitely NOT a TS.
    Infact, you like girls soooo much that even the though of seeing yourself in the mirror as a girl gives you a stiffy.

You are screwed in the head and disgusting. BUT Mr. Prozac has a soft spot for you [and in his head] and feels that if you want it sooo much you might as well get it too.
    Hense you are the other white eat, the lesser of the two, but still worthy of being called a TS to in his book.

SAD SAD part - all his great work revoles around just one thing.... SEX -
    The horizontal hustle - bumpin Uglies - gett'in down - ect.
    It has NOTHING to do with your Gender Identity or who you fell you are or might be the other 23 1/2hrs out of the day.

This thread makes it painfully obvious that a lot of people on there either have no fracking clue, don't know any of the facts, and/or just like to talk to be heard.
    Which is something hard to do considering that no one can hear you when your head is so far up your frackin ass.

Like it or not - Mr Bullshit has no ones best interest in mind but his own. And he will do what ever it takes to further his warped ideas and line his pockets while running amuck among the so called [and usually self proclaimed] psycho medical elite.

Have a nice day!

I will put these back away.......... For now
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-28-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Without resorting to foul language and name-calling, whatever opinion one might have of the man himself, Blanchard and Lawrence did identify a trait that many transgender people feel: they are emotionally drawn to the image of themselves with female anatomy instead of the male anatomy they were born with. Now, whether the further categorization of such people as this or that was valid or true is open to mature debate. But it does not negate the fact that many transgender people do exhibit this trait. And all the derisive comments, name-calling, self-righteous anger, and low-brow language does not change that fact.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    they are emotionally drawn to the image of themselves with female anatomy instead of the male anatomy they were born with.
    I agree with you that the level of the debate has not been very mature so far.

Anyway, I can't see much insight in this sentence as for MTF crossdressing people :
    "they are emotionally drawn to the image of themselves with female anatomy instead of the male anatomy they were born with".

Because that's just another means to say "crossdressers like to see themselves crossdressed".
    I simply mean that they would not crossdress at all if they preferred to see themselves dressed as males in their male anatomy.

Too often complicated words like "autogynephilia" are just created to disguise ignorance into a "high level" insight.

I prefer not "crossdressing" a simple reality into a fuzzy, complicated and unproven theory such as Blanchard's.

Blanchard and Lawrence did identify a trait that many transgender people feel: they are emotionally drawn to the image of themselves with female anatomy instead of the male anatomy they were born with.

But it does not negate the fact that many transgender people do exhibit this trait.
    Oh sure while that may be true in some cases.
    What you forgot to mention is that Blanchard and his Lapdog only acknowledge and directly tie that solely to SEXUAL thoughs. IE: Self Gratification

Let me spell it out for the cheap seats.......
    Their theories have nothing to do with how a person thinks, feels, acts or what they believe to be true in themselves. They do not care about Gender or Gender Indentity.

All Blanchard cares about is SEX SEX SEX and bases his "findings" and "theories" solely on who you happen to be shacking up with. Be it another Guy or a Girl.
    Because to Blanchard that is all you ever are and will be in his eyes - A GUY.

*** Who would of thunk it?????
    A person who studies sex came up with a theory revolving around sex as to why we are the way we are... WOW! Now there is a shocker! *** [ADDED]

Go ahead tell me I am wrong [and actually be able to prove it]
    And I will bow down at the feet of Mr. Blanchard... The SEXOLOGIST.
    You know a Sexologist.... A person who studies Sexual [as in the act of having sex] behaviors, NOT Gender.

Because I put about as much weight into what a Sexologist says about who I am as I do a Mixologist*. *Thats an over gloried bartender for those that don't know,

PS: See I can be nice. I didn't even once call him Mr Potato Head or an Idiot in this post
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Added last two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaM View Post
    His " Autogynephilia" boils down to everybody who does anything that even remotely falls under his catch all psycho-babble-bullshit rhetoric theory is either one or the other.
    I understand your anger. There are many people in the TG community who share it. But, as you point out and others do as well, Blanchard's error was in classifying TSs into one of only two categories: homosexual or hetero-autogynephilic. I agree it is not as simple as that. I also do not believe Blanchard extended his theory to include CDs.

But, if you take your focus off of Blanchard's conclusions and just look at the term autogynephilia alone, it does apply to many CDs. There are many CDs whose preferred form of sexual release is through masturbation while fantasizing. There are many marriages where the wife after some years does not feel she is enough for her husband. It is hard to say whether the husband's loss of libido with his wife is due to aging, or whether it has switched to wanting to masturbate while thinking of his femme self.

This is an issue that is of great concern in many heterosexual relationships and it should be discussed. If the CD is single, it does not present a problem, unless of course he wants to develop a relationship with a GG and he finds that he cannot.

So please, for this discussion do not think of it as a definition of who Blanchard thinks TSs are or are not, but as a real condition, an aspect some CDs' sexuality that does very much exist, which BTW brings us back to the OP. The original post has nothing to do with debating where the term was first coined and by who and how it was correctly or incorrectly applied. The OP asked input from others who also relate to feeling this way, and whether others feel there is a difference between a sexual turn-on over the clothes vs. the self as a woman.

I'd personally love input as to how the wife fits into all of this.
    Last edited by ReineD; 08-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    If the CD is single, it does not present a problem, unless of course he wants to develop a relationship with a GG and he finds that he cannot.
    Well here lies another problem in his "theory".
    According to him - Anyone who falls under the second category of non-homosexual / autogynephilia is only doing it so they can have sex with themselves.

According to him - these people once post-op will have no want or need to find a sexual partner because their preferred sexual partner is now themselves and they [all] will end up alone.

Once again proving that all his work is centered around SEX and who you are [or aren't] having it with.

And also why he completely omits F2M TS' because he can't neatly put them into his slot A or slot B theory.

PS:
    The OP asked input from others who also relate to feeling this way, to whether there is a difference between a sexual turn-on over the clothes or the self as a woman.[/i]
    OK. Well what if ones sexual feelings/thoughs have nothing to do with the wearing of the clothes or the though of ones self as a woman??

Who knows?
    Maybe I'm the odd duck here, the monkey in the wrench, the fly in the ointment.
    But the though of being sexually turned on by the woman I see in myself is just as,
    if not more creepy then the though of me being sexually turned on by my sister.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-28-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added at the end

Sam, I was editing my post while you replied. Would you please go back and read my last 2 paragraphs.

Oops, never mind, you edited too.

OK. Well what if ones sexual feelings/thoughs have nothing to do with the wearing of the clothes or the though of ones self as a woman??
    Then I would say that this thread has nothing to do with you since you do not relate to feeling this way, and you can simply say so and move on.

But many others in this forum do relate, and as with everything, it is best not to put down how other people feel when they feel differently than you do. Blanchard's limited definition of a transsexual's sexuality is not in question here.

The question is how others relate or cope with being autogynephilic to any degree.
    Reine

Sam, I was editing my post while you replied. Would you please go back and read my last 2 paragraphs.

Oops, never mind, you edited too.

And edited some more, so hit refresh again, lol.

Geez, we've got to stop meeting like this. I edited too. lol
    Reine

Geez, we've got to stop meeting like this. I edited too. lol
    DAMN!!!!! I was going to write that....... OK Im going to get coffee and not post or edit for 10 minutes

Thank you, Reine.

Blanchard merely identified the trait. His expanded theory may be way off-base, but that does not negate the existence of the trait in many trans people, TS or CD or whatever.

The fact that for centuries, man incorrectly thought that the Sun revolved around the Earth did not mean that they did not exist, and that they did not have some kind of relationship to each other. Simply because Blanchard was way off-base in many of his theories does not mean that AGP does not exist and is not valid.

So back to Ruth's original post....yes Ruth. A lot of us feel that way.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

And thank you, Marla. So yes, back to the OP, and if Ruth doesn't mind my asking, how does the wife fit into all of this if a married CD is autogynephilic?
    Reine

DAMN!!!!! I was going to write that....... OK Im going to get coffee and not post or edit for 10 minutes
    Hilarious! You're on the same wavelength!

And thank you, Marla. So yes, back to the OP, and if Ruth doesn't mind my asking, how does the wife fit into all of this if a married CD is autogynephilic?
    Very interesting question...

In the real world I run into horny antisocial crossdressers at clubs quite a bit, and it embarrasses me to be in any way associated with most of them. On a good day they sit there not talking to anybody waiting to be picked up and acting socially crippled if you do try to talk to them. On a bad day they approach me like I'm their best friend and ask me what's under my skirt, or if I'll "make a woman out of them," or what sexual favors I like. I have never in my life been treated with such disrespect in public as I have been by several horny crossdressers on several occasions. Just last month a crossdresser at a club I frequent roofied a GG I had been dancing with earlier because he assumed she must be lusting after guys in dresses. I'm not saying that's you. I'm not saying that's anybody on this forum. But that's the world I see, and I don't need you giving me shit for saying I don't want to be referred to in the same category as fetishistic crossdressers.

Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    So, you're a horny chick who gets turned on by dressing like a dude?
    Hmmmm... Being the opposite of that makes me a non-horny chick who gets turned off by guys dressing as women. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And I'm not asexual; there are definitely people who are very capable of making me horny.
    Last edited by ReineD; 10-04-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Removed a quoted post that has been deleted and your response to it.

I was going to say almost exactly the same things as SamanthaM....

Whatever autogynophelia is, and however anyone feels they relate to it, is fine for any individual. Any discussion of Blanchard, Lawrence, J. Michael Baily("The Man who Would be Queen") and to some extent, Dr. Kenneth Zucker as serious, unbiased researchers, well, that is going too far.. Blanchard uses the term as a springboard to discredit the very existence of those of us who know who we are. Baily conducted most of his "research" in bars frequented by sex workers. Lawrence mystifies me completely, I must say. And CAMH in Ontario, where both Blanchard and Zucker have worked, is basically of the opinion that most transsexuals lie. The conditions they put on those who need to transition are from the dark ages, relatively speaking. It never ceases to amaze me when people who make my condition their job spend the majority of their time completely ignoring how WE feel and live.

Blanchard, Helen Boyd, Janice Raymond, Germaine Greer....All of them are somehow offended, for their own personal reasons, by my existence. And they've made it their life's work to make their "research" fit their biases. They are dangerous people. As I said, however you identify, if you think the term fits you, more power to you. But it's use was coined by Blanchard to make transsexual's lives more difficult. That is why it's been attacked so passionately. We know who we are. And these people refuse to listen to us. To hell with them.

I'm not sure what this is doing in the main, CD section. Maybe the word is something some can relate to. But it's use, and main reason for being, is beyond demeaning and offensive. I can't just walk by and say nothing when I see it, or Blanchard's name. fighting back against this crap is always necessary.

Hugs,

Melissa
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 08-28-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: ffs just use their name not quote the whole damn post....

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa A. View Post
    I'm not sure what this is doing in the main, CD section. Maybe the word is something some can relate to. But it's use, and main reason for being, is beyond demeaning and offensive. I can't just walk by and say nothing when I see it, or Blanchard's name. fighting back against this crap is always necessary.
    Melissa, please read post #35. The OP's intent was not to discuss the validity of Blanchard's theory, but to get feedback from others who can relate to the condition of autogynephilia as she does.

I hope others who decide to join in this thread will decide to begin a new thread if they want to discuss Blanchard's theory on the motives for transiton. Let's bring the focus back to the OP's request in this thread.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    I came across this term in Helen Boyd's book a while back, and was intrigued because it was close (though not right on target) to what I feel about my CDing. For those not familiar, it means being turned on by either the idea of having a woman's body or by the idea of being a woman.
    I don't see it discussed on this forum and I was wondering why. Was it done to death years ago or is it still too new to be in common circulation?
    It's not an explanation for CDing, but it's an idea of what our motivation might be. And it's distinct from the fetish CDer, who is basically turned on by the clothes themselves.
    I understand that, Reine, but if you look at the original post, there are also questions about why it is or isnt discussed, whether or not it is very new phenomena. and a mention of a particular writer. The people I mentioned in my post have published books and research papers, and my fear is some of their stuff may be accepted without question. And it does need to be questioned. I realise I wasnt the first to weigh in negatively, and I am sorry for getting on my soapbox. I did mention that for those who feel the term applies to them, that's fine. But I also felt some mention of the context and the sources was needed. I am sorry if I offended or stepped on toes.

Hugs,

Melissa

Blanchard merely identified the trait.

His expanded theory may be way off-base, but that does not negate the existence of the trait in many trans people, TS or CD or whatever.

Simply because Blanchard was way off-base in many of his theories does not mean that AGP does not exist and is not valid.
    I'm not saying it does not exist or is not valid.
    After all, all he did was just completely rip off the definition of a "Fetishist Crossdresser"
    and just slightly twist it so it would conform to TS' that didn't fit into his original "All TS's are really just Gay Men" theory.

Hiding and Omitting ALL F2M TS was hard enough.

But hiding any TS that happen to like women was to hard for even him I guess!!
    So he had to scurry like a rat running from a sinking ship to come up with something, anything that would help his original theory still hold water [ya right, lol] but still explained these strange freaks of nature that were interfering with his original freaks of nature.

Because, after all, why would a person who CD'es want such a term as AGP when they already had the same thing. Unless of course the newer term just sounded better.
    Which makes about as much sense as his body of work.

PS:
    If back pedaling was an Olympic Sport I'm sure you'd have a shot at the Gold.

Did I mention I have a black belt in Sarcasm ..... and the boots to match
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-28-2009 at 09:52 PM.

i wouldnt use the word because of the negativity around it...

I could say that all Transsexuals who never had a sexual feeling relating to their innate femaleness are simply not transsexual, but have a disorder called unfetishgynophelia...

of course i just made that up and so did Dr Blanchard....

for better or worse, the term just sets people off....

the fact that many transsexual women feel a sexual feeling when they truly feel their womanhood makes all the sense in the world...add testosterone to the mix and you get alot of unwanted erections...but then like pavlov's dog, you learn that it feels good, and more importantly it relieves your anxiety...

years ago, saying this outloud would get you immediately off the list if you were looking to get hormones and transition...so girls learned the script..

this myth did great damage to me...i have suffered for years and years thinking that i was cursed to stay a bitter man because i had these erections..i was told that i had fantasies...so just like with my maleness, i tried to work with that, and i got more and more anxious and depressed...

then i met 2 women that have transitioned for dinner, and i talked openly about this and they just laughed and laughed and said join the club..

so if the question is what do i think of autogynephilia...i try not to...

if you ask if i've been sexually aroused and what i think about it...i think it makes perfect sense, what sexual feeling was i supposed to have as a woman with a penis?? I never ever had a thought about using it to penetrate a lover..it just never occured to me.. of course, i was totally functioning down there and without that release of anxiety i would be dead...

i just wish i had somebody to talk to about this 10 and 20 years ago...

Jersey for 33 yrs, Now Vancouver, Washington!
    I doesn't feel to me like there's much of a distinction between CDing and Autogynephilia, at least to my mind anyway.

AND the word Autogynephilia is just icky!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] x o x o x o Samantha Girl!!! * remember girls, sexiness is a state of mind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Girl View Post
    I doesn't feel to me like there's much of a distinction between CDing and Autogynephilia, at least to my mind anyway.
    You better be careful Sam, them there words might ruffle more then a few feathers in this here hen house.
    Some might even want to take ya out behind the woodshed for a good lickin' -
    And I don't mean that in a fun way neither.

If I were to respond, expand, or do anything regarding that statement it might be the last thing I do here for a bit .......... or ever

[How is Washington treating you so far? Probably less rain then we're getting in Jersey]
    Last edited by Sammy777; 08-29-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa A. View Post
    But I also felt some mention of the context and the sources was needed. I am sorry if I offended or stepped on toes.

You didn't offend or step on my toes. I understand your point too, and although the OP did ask why the term is not often discussed, the main thrust of her question I thought was her intrigue about the concept and if it might be an explanation for some motives behind the CDing. The OP identified with the feelings, as have others here.

But then the focus of the thread shifted to a debate between those who want to answer the OPs question and others who (rightfully) feel the term is not a valid label for TSs who are not attracted to men. These are two completely separate discussions. Everyone agrees that Blanchard's views were limited but expressing outrage over his misconceptions belongs in a separate thread since the concept of autogynephilia in itself does exist. We frequently see it expressed on this board and not strictly by transvestic fetishists.

Just take a look at many of the responses in these recent threads:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ghlight=thrill
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ghlight=thrill

So he had to scurry like a rat running from a sinking ship to come up with something, anything that would help his original theory still hold water
    I don't know if by "backpeddling" is you are referring to the following, but Blanchard did write about the validity of his theories 15 years after he originally coined the term. I quote from the last paragraph on his website: Origins of Autogynephilia
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchard's website:
    "All or none of the foregoing propositions may be true, false, or something in between. Their accuracy is an empirical question that can be resolved only by further research. In the meantime, it is important to distinguish between the truth or falseness of theories about autogynephilia, on the one hand, and the existence or nonexistence of autogynephilia, on the other. The latter is also an empirical question, but it appears, at this point, to be settled. The primary evidence that autogynephilia exists is the self-report of biological males who say “I am sexually excited by the idea of having breasts,” “I am sexually excited by the idea of having a vagina,” “I am sexually excited by the idea of being a woman.” There is no particular reason to believe that these individuals are merely distorting the familiar transvestitic narrative to make it more acceptable to others."
    I take it Blanchard is saying his original research may or may not be true, and he suggests there should be further research. He also observes that many biologic men identify with experiencing sexual feelings when imagining themselves as women, which we've all seen expressed on this board time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    the fact that many transsexual women feel a sexual feeling when they truly feel their womanhood makes all the sense in the world...add testosterone to the mix and you get alot of unwanted erections...but then like pavlov's dog, you learn that it feels good, and more importantly it relieves your anxiety...

this myth did great damage to me...i have suffered for years and years thinking that i was cursed to stay a bitter man because i had these erections..i was told that i had fantasies...so just like with my maleness, i tried to work with that, and i got more and more anxious and depressed...

so if the question is what do i think of autogynephilia...i try not to...

if you ask if i've been sexually aroused and what i think about it...i think it makes perfect sense, what sexual feeling was i supposed to have as a woman with a penis?? I never ever had a thought about using it to penetrate a lover..it just never occured to me.. of course, i was totally functioning down there and without that release of anxiety i would be dead...

i just wish i had somebody to talk to about this 10 and 20 years ago...
    Thank you for your honesty in sharing this, Kaitlin. I've learned a lot from it and I'm sure others have too. I wonder how many CDs feel the same way.
    Reine

WOW good post ReineD

Thanks,
    I truly do appreciate the time and effort put forth in this and your other posts on the subject.

I don't know if by "backpeddling" is you are referring to the following, but Blanchard did write about the validity of his theories 15 years after he originally coined the term. I quote from the last paragraph on his website: Origins of Autogynephilia
    Actually....... uuuuuu ....... No, it wasn't that or him that I was referring to.