Thread: Cycling en femme

Cycling en femme

I recently moved to part of town that rich in trendy/hipster types, where cycling is big part of the scene. for those unfamiliar, it's basically alot of androgynous looking people, guys who wear girl pants & have androgynous emo haircuts, and the area is smack dab in the middle of a "gayborhood" so naturally i fit right in. i started riding my bike around in unisex mode/androgynous mode (i.e. girl pants/shorts, sandals/flipflops, hair down, girly shirt) not full drag, but enough to push the gender envelope. after years of driving around aimlessly or going for sketchy "night walks" i have to say that this is best thing ever. for one thing, its great excercise, you're not stuck in a vulnerable position because you have the ability to avoid the usual creepiness when walking or driving and you have the thrill of being out and about without the headache of being stuck in awkward situations. there are so many bike routes, back streets, places to go. i just bring a backpack for any quick changeover, lay off the heavy make-up (you will sweat), and stay way from scummy areas.

anyone else into this?

hair

I'm not really into cycling. But it's one of those sports where it's acceptable to shave your leg hair. Swimming is another one.

Great Idea!

Hi Dragdoll,

I have been cycling for years but honestly never thought to dress and go for a casual ride. What a great idea!

Michelle

I think cycling en femme is great though I've done it only a few times.
    warmly, Linnea

Well...not exactly, but I've gone cycling enfem. In my case, the cycling was in regular old conservative pike paths, in the city streets and a nearby provincial park. I wear spandex a little padding where it counts. It is an incredible feeling knowing every curve on your body is visible (even if it is not all real). Normally, in any other outfit I would say I get 'read' up close, but in my biking getup, I'm moving most of the time and I would say I pass most of the time. I've gotten some not so nice looks from older men usually walking in a group with their elderly wives, but I really think it is a generational thing where the spandex doesn't sit well with their conservative nature. On my very first bike trip I remember riding past a car in a parking lot with a couple young guys in it and their heads turned and jaws dropped (I heard them say 'wow')...a little too obvious guys! Most of the time, however, people don't notice me or they return smiles if I smile at them. Biking is great fun!

As for being out as you are in a safe neighborhood, I think that must be nice.

Pushing an old Schwinn around Philly alot has given me the beautiful legs that everybody comments on, so I would recommend it just for that reason alone.

I live in a row house in the warrens of south Philly and do not own a car, so it would be hard to slip out of the house dressed without being noticed. So why not go all the way?

I think I'm gonna buy a cheap 2nd hand women's bike and use that if'n'when I leave the house enfemme. I will use my guy bike only when in drab, so maybe the nieghbors will just think there is a well dressed women living here now? Don't know if it will convince anybody, but it would be a thrill to bike up to center city in a skirt suit and do some window shopping on Walnut St.

All the Best,
    Ann / SS

I have definitely done that. Most times I wear a guy shirt when I leave the house and take it off when I get a mile or two away. I wear a cami or racerback and work on tanning my upper arms to match the lower.

I have also pedaled totally girly, with makeup, and girly hair. I never know what reaction I'll get when I go thru a construction zone and all the guys are looking at me. Are they looking at the great legs (just kidding) or at the mannish looking person?

I go out 2 or 3 times a month, I guess.

Won't be doing it dressed but I will be participating in a 62 mile ride next weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonsilk View Post
    I have definitely done that. Most times I wear a guy shirt when I leave the house and take it off when I get a mile or two away.
    this is pretty much exactly what i would do. i wear guy shirt over a girl shirt and take it off, roll my not-too-girly looking girl pants legs up to my knees, change into a pair of womens sandals. and stuff everything into a small backpack. up until a week ago i had naturally longish hair (i recently butchered it), so i would pull it back with a hair wrap/headband thingy.

as far as not going all the way - peddling in heels is not easy, wearing a wig and too much make-up can be messy as well. also, i seldomly ever wear skirts or dresses anyway. i just dress the way most girls cycling around the neighborhood dress. casual, not too athletic, not too flashy.

I cycle just about every day. Mostly my cycling on weekdays I'll do late at night. Depending on the weather (its been pretty cool here this summer) I'll either wear a black panty girdle (looks like cycling shorts in the dark), black leggings, pedal pushers or women's shorts. I might wear the shorts during a daytime ride also. I always go out with panties on and a sports bra. Sometimes I'll wear a regular bra. On top I'll usually wear a woman's long sleeve sweatshirt
    A few years ago during an early evening ride I was (unbeknownst to me) riding with my lace top panties exposed above my pants. A carload of girls rode by and one of them yelled out "Hey mister! Nice panties!" After they were down the street aways I checked and much to my horror my panties were sticking out a good two inches. I must of ridden that way for quite awhile. I quickly readjusted myself.
    Last year another cyclist pulled up alongside me and noticed my panty girdle. He couldn't take his eyes off of them and shot me a number of strange looks.
    So much for the adventures of riding enfemme.
    I will on the rare occassion that I get to dress fully take my wife's bike out and cycle on that. (she has a girl's bike)