Thread: Going out soon !!!

Aspiring Member

Going out soon !!!

Hi Girls: Well been lurking here for over a year, and have been a member for a couple of months. All of you have been a real inspiration to me!!!

I love looking at the photos and reading the stories in the out and about section. The thing is (no criticism intended) often I think "I look as good as her and she waltzed right into Macys"

So I've been practicing my make-up, and trying on all the combinations of outfits have, Practicing my walk and mannerisms...So I think I'm ready to take the plunge (not into Lake Erie I hope)....I talked it over with the Missus and she's cool with it. so here is the plan, she's gonna help me pick out an appropriate outfit....We're gonna drive downtown some weeknight evening (in September or October) and it it feels right we're gonna park and do some window shopping. It that goes well we're gonna go to a local cafe with a dark & dingy patio area.

I'm so excited I can barely stop shaking long enough to type this post!!! Have any of you "Old pros" got any adivice for me....It would be wonderful if you do

Wish me luck !!!
    XOXO Danielle

Good luck! The best advice I can offer based on my own recent going out experiences is that the most important thing is to just be as confident and comfortable as you can be. The more you behave like "yep, this is just me doing what I'm doing" the better it'll go for you. You're lucky to have your wife to support you and go with you. I can't imagine making the mall trip that I made yesterday without my friend Laura there with me, but because she was it just felt like we were two girls shopping and that was it.

I know just how you feel! You are probably going to very surprised by how easy it all is. I was and I did my first walk at a rest stop in Arizona. You will be awestruck at well you are ignored.

However, I would not "waltz" into Macy's. Maybe just walking like folks would be a good way to start.

You are blessed to have the support of a wife to help you. She will say "Just relax". And you say "I am" - sideways between clenched teeth. Have a great time.
    TG is who I am; CD is something I do.

My CD Blog Site

Not all women look like Jennifer Aniston or some other person on the cover of a magazine. Some women look like Julia Child, who si getting talked about currently. She was 6"2' with big shoulders.
    If you do look more Julia Child like, then you have to tilt the balance toward fem in other ways. Fem clothes, facial features, and mannerisms can help overcome the possible doubt that people may have when they see you.
    It sounds like you are on the right track. With the right clothes, makeup and attitude you can overcome any doubts that people you encounter may have.
    Go For It!

A Good Attitude

A good attitude makes all the diference. Just be mentally prepared for the time when someone makes a comment. Most people will be nice, but there is always that one A##H*** who will try to ruin it. Just ignore that person & you'll do fine.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Gold Member
    Just have a wonderful time. It's great your SO takes an active interest in this, which should make the experience all that more enjoyable. Be sure to post some pics. We all want to see how great you look..

Aspiring Member

Thanks Miranda

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda09 View Post
    Just have a wonderful time. It's great your SO takes an active interest in this, which should make the experience all that more enjoyable. Be sure to post some pics. We all want to see how great you look..
    I'm a little "over the hill" for "Great" looking, but the thought was very sweet and I appreciate it!!! Ps: If I can figure out how to do it I'll be sure to post photo's of my adventure

What I did was first post some photos and get feedback on how I looked. Then take a lot of digital photos of yourself from all angles and use them to improve your look. When you go out, convince yourself first that you belong and be confident. Don't spend too much energy looking around at how other people are looking at you, but if you are with your wife, then use her to do people watching and just use the observations to improve. Set your expectations to be read sometimes. Oh, and smile a lot!

Good luck! I've never had the nerve to go out, but I admire people who do. When I read how you get on, it might give me inspiration. I would love to.
    Lucy

Focus on what you're doing ( your wife will be along, so you'll also have someone to talk with ), not on what strangers may think.
    And why would you choose to sit in a dark & dingy cafe?
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Danielle, I'm so excited for you. I'm not an Old Pro at going out and just had my first few outings in the past 2 weeks so my experiences as a relative newbie are fresh. I posted about them in the Out and About section in case you are curious.

As previously mentioned, attitude and how you carry yourself is very important. Dress appropriately for the location and act like it is the most normal and natural thing in the world. If you blend in, hardly anyone will give you a second look or thought. They are too busy and focused on themselves to worry too much about you. You will find yourself becoming more comfortable and relaxed within minutes. Sure, you may get a few stares and quiet whispers, but ignore them because nothing bad will come of them.

Instead of the dark and dingy cafe patio, I suggest finding a CD/TG friendly restaurant. You will be able to relax and enjoy the time instead of worrying about it. You might even met another girl like yourself which is a treat if you never experienced that.

Good luck with your outing. I'm sure it was be fabulous and you will be dying to do it again. Don't forget to tell us how it went!

Hi Danielle,

Good Luck on your adventure. Since its your first time out, remember to breathe, act confident and be sincere. With your SO there, she may help take some of the butterflies away as opposed to venturing out on your own.

It's a great and fabulous feeling. You'll be surprised at how many people don't notice - anything. Have fun and give us a report when you get back.

Michelle

I've got some advice. Never loose sight of the fact that you are trying to have fun. Don't get bent around the axle about passing, don't walk in terror that someone will read you, don't hesitate to talk to people for fear your voice will give you away. You are doing this to enjoy yourself, so for goodness sake, be sure you DO enjoy yourself!

Go out knowing you belong in the cloths you choose to wear. Chin up, smile, be confident in who you are and be friendly to others.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

The first few times I went out with my wife she did most of the ordering and talking. I mean, when we're sitting down we are all about the same height! So in a restaraunt, once you're seated, you blend in very well. After we had gone out a few times (ok, many times!) I got more comfortable with speaking and interacting with others. I am not as concerned about passing as a women as I am about being treated like a woman. Enjoy yourself and get ready to be addicted. It's one of the few down sides to going out......you want to go out more and more and staying at home seems less of an option anymore.
    Sally

Good luck. It is wonderful to have the wife along. Bless her! I have been doing some FALL planning myself. Stopped by Merle Norman today to double check, with the owner. I will be doing some daylight outings. Makeover at 10:00 am and a day at the malls. Bought three pairs of shoes today, tried on a couple of new bras. Need just some modest rings. Planning the wardwrobe

Danielle, I may head for Toledo, I enjoy Dillards
    Last edited by Tora; 08-31-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: additional thought