Thread: Boston "T" Party

Boston "T" Party

Ran into this while searching for gender therapists. It's a 250 page report on transmen, testosterone, and masculinity. I have yet to read any of it, but the table of contents looks pretty awesome. They even have an embodiment/phenomenology piece, which especially excites me because I've never come across another person who wrote about this before in the transgender sense, let alone in the FtM sense. The author's sources show that they really did their work. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that somebody beat me to it...and with many of the same sources! Well, now I have something to cite.

http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent....37&context=etd

well...looks like I have some summer reading to do
    The ZP Poem
    Everytime I go to pee, I'm gonna be thinking:

"There's this kid somewhere in PA named Ze. I wonder if Ze has to pee. Does Ze have to hold it, or can Ze let free? There is no fun with infected kidneys.
    Not everyone's body matches their psyche. Whether be sir or whether be she, everyone deserves a safe place to pee. So come on people, let people be."

And then I'll realize I've been rhyming to myself and the guy in the urinal next to me will beat me up.

I want to print it out in case the link goes away before I get to finish, but I don't have 250 pages to spare. But yeah, summer reading.

Thanks for posting that, Ze - I'm halfway through reading it already (it's winter and too wet and cold to do anything much else), and it's very interesting stuff
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

Cool, Daniel. In your reading so far, have you come across any indication of the author's identity? When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm always curious if the author is trans or an ally or a psychiatrist or what.

Hard to say, but to me she comes across so far as cisgendered, and I would say possibly more psychologist than psychiatrist lol. Although it's difficult to discern from her writing because she seems to me to be deliberately keeping her identity out of it (which is kinda good in a way because it doesn't colour the point she is making about societal "norms" and stereotypes of sex and gender). But at the same time that also seems (at least to me lol) to pinpoint her identity as the aforementioned cisgendered female, because of the approach she has taken. Mind you, my assumptions could be way wrong lol, but that's just the way I read it, which could well be coloured by my perception and experience of gender and sex "norms"

I had to persevere with it though lol - all the stuff before she actually gets into her subject and the first part of her writing were making my head hurt and were a tad dry and boring, but I'm glad I stuck with it because after the first chapter or so it gets very interesting, she is quite insightful on the subject
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze View Post
    I want to print it out in case the link goes away before I get to finish, but I don't have 250 pages to spare. But yeah, summer reading.
    Then "print" it to a PDF. You don't waste paper, if the link goes away it's no biggie, and if you want to print it out later, you have a PDF to print from. Viola!

Kathi

Why didn't I think of that?

You sure you're not my better half, Kathi?

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    You sure you're not my better half, Kathi?
    Hey, I'm just a geek. And they say girls are clueless with technology. Hah! I blow that stereotype out of the water - among others, of course.

Kathi

Cool, Daniel. In your reading so far, have you come across any indication of the author's identity? When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm always curious if the author is trans or an ally or a psychiatrist or what.
    She's an ally and has been involved in the trans community for around 10 years. It's somewhere in there, can't give you a page number. I read most of it last night.
    "Impossible" is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try. Kutless - What Faith Can Do
    Quote Originally Posted by My sister Lilli
    Yes, your happy shows - you practically have unicorns and starbursts flying out of you.
    Physically female!

You read almost all of it? You earn a cookie.