Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do CDs have " Compulsive" personalities?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Do CDs have " Compulsive" personalities?

Both of my parents, sister and I, have had no problems with; drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, cults, etc.

That is, until I began CDing about 12 years ago. Now, it has taken over my life, more or less! I can't give it up, or even stay away from it for very long.
    I'm NOT used to handling compulsions, because I guess I've never HAD ANY before now!

Can anyone relate to this? Is your CDing obsessive/compulsive? Do u have obsessions other than CDing?

How do u control them, so that u can function "normally" in your life? Or, DO THEY cause problems for u?
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 09-18-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

It gets a little obsessive/compulsive at times, yes. I tend to schedule my day to see if I can fit in any crossdressing time, and if I find that I cannot, it depresses me a little. I try not to let it carry that much importance, but I do feel better, even more normal, when I'm all dressed up en femme. So I tend to dwell on it subliminally and it's always in the back of my mind.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I unfortunately have always had shopping related compulsions for as long as I can remember. Now that I've finally come to terms with my feminine side, it hasn't gotten any better with my shopping for clothes, makeup, accessories,etc.

Although I've never had any drug related issues, or addictions, but I was fairly addicted to World of Warcraft at a certain point in my wife, which ended up causing a lot of issues with friends and family.

But to somewhat remedy my compulsive shopping, I don't usually carry much money on me, so sometimes I just leave my credit card, and ATM card at home, so if im out and about, ill usually wont get the itch to purchase something on credit. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent me from shopping online

My wife says I obsess over everything and I think she's right.. Maybe not everything but enough.. I like to think of it as my OOTD. Obsession of the Day!! Yeah.. Today its nail polish and finding out who makes Crosby's new one-piece synthetic hockey stick.. So my obsessions aren't limited to just crossdressing!!

And far as compulsive.. I'm to lazy to be compulsive.. Being obsessive is all I can handle.. Hahahaha.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Do u have compulsions other than CDing?
    Breathing. I'm going to give that up if kills me.

How do u control them, so that u can function "normally" in your life? Or, DO THEY cause problems for u?
    No problems here. Expressing my gender is one of my fundamental human rights.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I have a bit of an obsessive personality, but you don't really become better at anything without being a bit obsessive, without thinking about it constantly... Or at least that's how I justify it.

I agree with the whole CDing being a compulsive issue but after 18 years of the desire have decided the only way to deal with it is to be honest with yourself and just do it. Reason being, you cant stop it no matter what !!!!!!

I definitely have obsessive traits, but they are not exclusive to cding. HUGE record collection, books, and sometimes just stuff in general.Not really a pack rat, just obsessed by the collection. My mom is this way too, so I imagine it is a genetic predisposition. I am however compulsive about the cding stuff. It definitely does fall into the obsessive/compulsive category for me,(more girl shoes than guys, and I am quite closeted) but I imagine not for everyone.

Banned Read only
    Well...I don't think I'm tooooo obsessed. I mean, I do have a nice varied selection of both heels and flats.

... and as long as we can moderate our behaviour (even though it's so-o-o-o much fun...) that it doesn't adversely affect our loved ones I don't think we really fit into the real Obsessive/Compulsive category. Now, Impulsiveness ... that's another kettle of fishies entirely!

Last edited by deja true; 09-17-2009 at 02:39 PM.

I tend to go into long periods of obsessiveness if I find something I really like, like discovering a new band, new foods, CD'ing, having sex with a chick of a different race, etc. Thankfully, I was blessed with enough willpower to mentally talk myself out of doing some dumb things(drugs, stealing, sleeping with someone's wife etc.) even though it seems like a good idea at the time, even with I'm 100% drunk, that's my saving grace really .

Do CDs have "Compulsive" personalities?

Some what, or at least I am sometimes. When I'm with my SO in any department store thrift store or what ever I seem want to target my next purchase for me. Even as far as go thru the racks to see what sizes are available. Also I tend to wander off in the ladies department, candy store. The last time I went to pick up my glasses at Pennys. It took me 30min of wandering thru the ladies department, ladies shoes and accessories before picking up my glasses at optical and look at a new pair of ladies frames. I had to what was new and in style and what I would like against what I could afford. I can't help my self I always do this. I believe that's compulsive, isn't it

Jannette H

I think the answer depends on the stage of your life and the stage of your dressing. For me now andv I suspect for the rest of my life, it certainly is a compulsion. Not so earlier though when my compulsion was sport. Oh, and I like a drink or many too.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

I believe that I am definitely obsessive- compulsive about everything, including my crossdressing. I am very neat and organized, and any kind of clutter simply drives me crazy, which is kind of crazy, because my wife is a pack-rat, and very unorganized, and yet we've been married for 36 years. I guess opposites to attract.

Since I can't walk down the street with my rifle and take target practice at every whim, cd'ing is my outlet source. Yes, my femme side is definately more of a compulsive buyer than my male side.

Not necessarily RS but we do tend to be more organized than a lot of guys.

Saskatchewan, Middle of the Canadian Prairies
    I have an obsessive personality. I was always obsessed with sex, but many more things like when I am reading a good book I cannot put it down. I play video games and I get hooked on them also I even dream about them. I like to do genealogy research and I can spend hours and hours on that also so it seems no matter what I do that I love I am obsessive and I guess cding would fit right in there. My wife can confirm all this also so it is not just me.
    My Father is male, my Mother is female that makes me 50/50!

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    Compulsive..........mmm........use to be, but not now i just go with the flow.

For example I use to have the complsion to be on time were ever I was going, I was the first person at every party! lol but now it not such a big deal if I'm late then so what I'm late, the only thing I do try to be on time for is work

But these day I'm more laid back and easy going, not suck up my own arse all time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry
    Do CDs have " Compulsive" personalities?

[SIZE="2"]I’m a bit compulsive in that I worry a lot about the slightest little thing, plus I’m a perfectionist, especially with my artwork. The more I try to ensure that things will look just right, the less actually gets made or done. This perfectionism creeps over into my crossdressing, but, since perfection is an unobtainable goal in that realm, I can just relax and enjoy the show…[/SIZE]

A counselor I went to hold that (at least in my case) crossdressing is an OCD. I think it is, I think alot about dressing. I make special time for it, I shop alot (and I've become very fussy) I want to look and feel just so. My wife relates to my dressing on those terms.

I wouldn't call it compulsive but for me it is anal retentive. If I do something it is usually done to the best I can. Whether it is wood carving, tying flies, building a woodstrip canoe, or expressing my female side of my life; I do it with a passion and conviction. As I move to transitioning the passion has been tempored witha softer love of myself and more tolerance of the journey.

Teri

Short answer, Yes

Yes, I do think it can be common among CDer's (Not saying all CD). It doesn't have to be full blown OCD, but it may fall into what is called the Obsessive Compulsive spectrum.

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar
    I have a tidy-ness compulsive disorder. My unit is always perfect and everything is in its place where it belongs. I cant leave for work without everything where its supposed to be. My sink has to be empty and everything washed, etc.
    I do go through compulsive shopping stages too.
    I dont have any others. I've been sober nearly 4 years after a long battle with alchohol though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

.......How do u control them, so that u can function "normally" in your life? Or, DO THEY cause problems for u?
    Hi Doc. I think one of the best ways to help gain some control, is to find some volunteer work and immerse yourself into others who are in need. I havn't done any recently, but I have helped with edgeble slows, parapaligics and tutoring at a women's shelter in the past. I got an enormous sense of satisfaction in working with others and that certainly helps bring things back into perspective and keeping a balance.

Another is being involved in another activity. I took up artistic roller skating (figure circles and dance) some years ago and that has been a passion of mine. I wish I could devote more time and money into that sport. I would gladly put 10 times more the amount into skating than cd'ing.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

My desires to dress definately feel obsessive and compulsive.

Doc, didn't you kind of answer your own question? You said no History of compulsive disorders in your family. No hand washers, no habitual masturbators, no ritualistic behavior? And yourself only becomes engrossed with dressing activity over the last dozen years. Problems like compulsive behavior seem to run in some families, you family doesn't seem to be effected.

There are those people in The Psychiatric Community that would love to label all transgendered behavior as "compulsive." Remember, that's treatable, and also BILLABLE! I don't think we can find any credible literature that says that any measurable results have been obtained, by treating transgendered individuals with methods used for compulsive behavior.

Personally, I refuse to acknowledge that I have any sort of psychiatric problem. I don't need "treatment!" I think that Joanie is sum and part of my whole being, I just have an "extra partner" in my journey through life.

(Now, it's been at least three minutes since I started this message; I need to get to the sink right damn quick, and wash all my guilt away!)

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 09-20-2009 at 02:28 AM.