Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does fashion sense change with age?

Since i went full time five+ years ago, I dress as a 40ish year old woman would dress,but one who loves to show off her gams. I am almost 62, as a woman I feel that I look a young forty, but then again I may need new eyewear.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Ze, if I followed your rule on adding an inch a year to that hem line, I would be tripping on my train. But yes I have changed style over the years, but then Fashion has had a lot to do with that. I can't even get a decent pair of Bell bottoms anymore!
    Tina
    P.S. even my drab wardrobe has changed with age and the times, I don't have any Nauru jackets anymore either!

I yam what I yam,

Age dressing

I don't dress to please other people. If I added an inch for each year +40, I'd be walking on the bottom half of my skirt. At age 79, skirts from knee cap to 2" above the knee are LONG for me. Mid-knee cap ones are really long... those are for Church. Every day around the house or shopping etc. 4" AK or so is about right for me. '

Someone mentioned what to wear when playing golf... well, the game got to costly for me, but I walk vigorously for miles each day as a health maintenance thing. I have several of those neat little "cheer leader" skirts pro-lady golfers use, pro-tennis players too... In colder days, I wear pantyhose with them, but hot weather, nothing but what's there with them.... Works for me... Granny

re

For me it always has been about Skirts and feminine blouses. I find those are what makes me feel most feminine and pretty and of course my choice in panties, stockings etc will never change either. However, if it makes me feel nice and feminine I tend to be drawn towards it and sytles like it.

No!!!!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Thank you for all of your replies so far, ladies! I appreciate you taking a minute of your time for me.

I know styles in themselves predictably change over time--it almost goes without saying--so my curiosity was more about if you followed along with these trends.

Personally, from the boy side, I predict my style may change a bit as I get older. Or rather, I'll go from dapper three-piece suits to buckling my pants up to my chest.

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I dress for my age, most of the time. I do have club wear outfits
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

I dress a bit on the conservative side. While I don't much care what others think, I do take pride in my appearance. Demure to very sexy,but always in good taste. Trashy and trampy to me is advertising for unwanted attention. I have seen my share of wild outfits here in Las Vegas.. Short skirts and 5" heels isn't a look that everyone can pull off. Those looks that some people get are more WTF rather than WOW! My friend Samantha sent me this cartoon which I think is spot on in a lot of cases. And in answer to your question ZE....... it should. As we age gravity and such takes over,and what once looked good on us..doesn't anymore.Just my opinion,but if the tops of your stockings show.. your skirt is too short for being out in public,whether you are 16,40,or 60........unless of course,you're working

diff2.jpg
    Last edited by kellycan27; 09-26-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Gray View Post
    I don't dress to please other people. If I added an inch for each year +40, I'd be walking on the bottom half of my skirt. At age 79, skirts from knee cap to 2" above the knee are LONG for me. Mid-knee cap ones are really long... those are for Church. Every day around the house or shopping etc. 4" AK or so is about right for me. '

Someone mentioned what to wear when playing golf... well, the game got to costly for me, but I walk vigorously for miles each day as a health maintenance thing. I have several of those neat little "cheer leader" skirts pro-lady golfers use, pro-tennis players too... In colder days, I wear pantyhose with them, but hot weather, nothing but what's there with them.... Works for me... Granny
    Nice to know I am not the senior person on this forum at age 77! But Granny and I do agree on skirt lengths! I do have a couple of ankle length skirts. but rarely wear them. I still have nice legs, according to my lady friends, so why not show them off? Since I have been dressing, in some fashion, since the early 40's before most of you were born, fashions have indeed changed! But just because I am older doesn't mean that I have to dress like an older woman, does it? Most of my friends who don't know my true age think I am in my 50's!! When I was in my 50's and my wife did my makeup, I passed for a 30 year old.

BTW, Granny, I do not play golf because of a bum shoulder but like you I do walk a lot. I also wear skorts, which is what I think you were describing as "cheer leader" skirts, which have built in shorts or underpants. I have about 15 of them in various colors and materials. They come high on my thighs, and I do also wear pantyhose with them in colder weather!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I think so. I remember when I first went out dressed I was probably 21, wearing a little pleated schoolgirl skirt. I wouldn't wear that out anymore, unless it was part of a costume or something. I don't think I can pull off some of the outfits I wore when I was younger anymore, but I have new outfits that I really like, so it's all good! But that being said, I don't think I will ever give up my corsets and heels.
    Last edited by Angelofsomekind; 09-26-2009 at 01:53 AM.

(not a whale)
    moot question because the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have no fashion sense to begin with

Sure I've changed fashions. At one time it was leather skirts. Now, depending on the situation, I may wear jeans and a top, a business suit (skirt or pants), a dress somewhere between just above the knee to mid-calf, or a gown if going to a formal affair or the theater. I'm not a twenty-something. I have no issue at all being a mature, stylish woman, dressed appropriately for the activity I am engaged in.
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

My style has changed as I have developed but I still love wearing short skirts. I dress in what I want to but now I'm much more conservative during the day.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

My dresses & skirts when new were over the knee or to the knee. But as confidence grew I realized it would be a sin to hide these legs when I'm told people enjoy them.

And remember girls: Eartha Kitt was knocking them dead to her dying day.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze View Post
    Personally, from the boy side, I predict my style may change a bit as I get older. Or rather, I'll go from dapper three-piece suits to buckling my pants up to my chest.
    Oh no you don't! Not so fast! Before you earn the privilege of buckling your trousers around your chest, you first have to wear the One Piece Retirement Suit (the crest on the pocket is not optional). Then, and only then can you hike your pants up high enough to separate the boys. No skipping steps!

Quote Originally Posted by baby beluga View Post
    moot question because the overwhelming majority of crossdressers have no fashion sense to begin with
    The hell you say!

Kathi

I guess as I've matured, I've become more aware of what looks good on me as opposed to what would look good on a young 21 year old female!

Nowadays, I can mostly get by wearing what most women my age are wearing. If I went to the supermarket in a micro skirt, skimpy top and 6 inch heels, I'd be stared at and laughed at. GG's dressed like this would most probably face the same reaction in the same outfit, so I observe what ladies my age wear and try as far as possible to look as nice as them.

I don't ever see the day when I'll wear a long skirt or dress on a regular basis. Not even my grandma would do that!

First of all gives :Ze: a for mentioning age... yup im 47 but my brain says differant to my body ... my brain tells me im in my 20's ish... and as for fashion i have never been fashion concious... the fact i dont go out or need to blend in (only my own personal situation) i feel i just wear what i like... or more to the point what Alexis likes.. plus if you got the legs you might as well show them... heres one of my favourite outfits... a bit retro... but nice all the same..
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mine definitely has. When I started fully dressing in my early 20's I was all about short skirts and high heels. I felt that looking sexxy/****ty was feminine to me. In some ways my dressing was more sexual and fetishy. I guess more so in the past five years I have come to a change. I feel feminine in pants as well as skirts. I find long skirts as lovely and sexxy as short. Im starting to dress more my age. My biggest joy or rush now is to look presentable or acceptable when Im out. my ootward presentation is more of who I am inside as opposed to more of a costume when I was younger.

Cute az .... if it has a similar cutout on the other side, wouldn't your dress make a wonderful hand-warmer?

(There. Now consider yourself paid back).
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Cute az .... if it has a similar cutout on the other side, wouldn't your dress make a wonderful hand-warmer?

(There. Now consider yourself paid back).
    theres only the one hole and yeah ok.... paid back in full..
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by baby beluga View Post
    I'm gonna take this one and run with it (thanks to Kathi for the inspiration).

There's age-appropriate to consider, how we present ourselves as we age, as our bodies change, etc. But my approach also has to do with developing a style. Those who know me know exactly what to expect because for me, whether casual or dressy, it's not about (and I've said this before) "a dress", "a pair of shoes" or whatever. It's about "the look", one which I have cultivated by paying attention to other women and fashion trends. I'm all for quality, not quantity.

Therefore, i believe a woman can easily stand out in the crowd in a good way by being fashion-forward, yet still dressing appropriate for her age and setting. While I strive to blend most of the time, the attention I usually get is positive. For example, last weekend I had four out-of-the-blue overwhelmingly positive compliments on my charm bracelet and two each for my top and shoes. I'll say "mission accomplished" for that!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)