Thread: Life Changing Question

Life Changing Question

Now this is both fun and scary.

I've approached an agency to try to get my writing out into the wider world (through newspapers and magazines). They are interested but to do so I wil have to come out completely. Name revealed, pictures of male and female me. The aim is to write a weekly or monthly column about what it is like to be transgendered.

I have friends and family behind me.

It would change my life forever and I could be dressed 24 * 7. I think I know what to do, but what would you do?

Help!!!!
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Awesome.... For me it would be what impact would this have on my family and would I be able to continue on with my carrier.. Any negative impact on my family and I would not go that route.. If there were no adverse impact.. I'm so close to retirement that I could always go work at Victoria Secrets..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

First of all Congratulations!

And, go for it! Show the world who you really are. If your family is behind you, nothing else matters.

The idea of a need for telling male name and using male picture is off-putting. They are not necessary, except to sensationalize the story. Such stories are common in papers, like the Sun.
    DonnaT

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    The idea of a need for telling male name and using male picture is off-putting. They are not necessary, except to sensationalize the story. Such stories are common in papers, like the Sun.
    Donna, I agree but that is life today. If people don't know about me they wont be bothered to read what I write. I can understand both points of view. I must be careful and thats why its frightening.
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

I'm with Donna on this one.

If you are comfortable with that amount of exposure, fame, and being out to the world - awesome! But even if that is true, I would draw the line at anything that even smelled like it might be sensationalist or striving for the cheap laugh / cheap reaction. It doesn't do you, or the rest of us any good to have a sister out being scandalous. Even Rue Paul doesn't show off pictures of himself in drab, or make his male persona publicly available to the world (Yes I am aware that Rue Paul is a drag queen and not TS - that is the point - even the hyper sensationalist "will do ANYTHING for viewers" drag queen doesn't post a male picture / name).

Parts of the world are certainly sensationalist, as you have pointed out - but that doesn't mean that it will serve you well to be associated with those parts.

If I were comfortable with that kind of celebrity I would consider doing this, but I would never post male photos / identity. If there where a legitimate purpose for it, like a before and after type of make-up application "how-to" perhaps, but not just to be salacious. It is one thing to let it be known that you are MTF, something else entirely to be a spectacle.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

Thanks Hope and I know exactly what you are saying. I also do not wish to let anyone down in our community, hence the question and the request for thoughts. If my friends and family are ok with it though, I'm not sure what the problem is? I need to get out and be myself, and this is a way to do it, a way I will enjoy and a way which will earn me money as a girl.

It is hard and my mind is still not made up,

Thanks again
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

Thumbs up Charlie Anders

Charlie Anders, author of The Lazy Crossdresser had a column in San Francisco about things transgendered. I think she survived, I think you will do well too.

Her website is here: Charlie Jane Anders

Hope you get to do this.

Love, Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Aspiring Member
    Here's my philosophy: Money talks and B.S. walks. Take the money, say what you feel and wear what you want, especially if your friends and family support it. It's a No Brainer.

I live far enough away from my family that I would do it, although it would ruin my (small) business. If it will hurt your family don't do it. Another option would be to contact "Jessica Who". She is a member here and may be able to put the story out on her blog. I'm just thinking, good luck.

Gold Member
    Tricia, if this is what you really want to do, and you have support, and you don't mind coming out completely, then go for it. Better to do it, than regret not having done it later.

My major concern is the state of journalism and its ability to support you (financially).

You have the backing of who counts, your family. You have a passion, follow it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by tricia_uktv View Post
    It is hard and my mind is still not made up,
    I'm not trying to suggest that you shouldn't do it. I might be inclined to do something like that, I'm just very unclear about what the point of outing one's male persona would be. It could be handled well as in the case of Eddie Izzard - or it could be used to make you look like part of a freak show. Eddie Izzard is able to keep control of his image to a great extent, if you are going to cede some or all of that control to an editor - make bloody well sure it is someone you trust implicitly. They are literally crafting your reputation and what they do will have repercussions for the rest of your life.

The insistence of outing one's male identity is just a big red flag for me. I would want to know how / why / what that was going to be used for etc. and to make sure that there would be safeguards in place. Why is this particular bit of information so important to the editor in question?
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it." — Marilyn Monroe

I agree with getting the angle straight before you decide to venture down this path. I myself in your position would find out first what the male persona woul be used for and why? I would also find out where they will be storing this information and what safeguards they are using to keep this information safe? As I started cding again one of the things I taught myself was to control the excitement of the moment so that I could make an educated decision on what I wanted clothes wise and I would only buy that item. I think you are in th excitement of the moment and want to dig your nails into it and take a bite because it looks delicious when you never know what poisons may lie within that tasty fruit when you actually take that first bite~~

Hannah

First off, congratulations! and secondly, it sounds like a golden opportunity to be able to make people more informed to who we really are. The gay and lesbian communities do this, so why can't the crossdressing community have an "ambassador"? Only you can control the outcome, so think it through, and execute carefully (if you decide to go through with it) and if you do, Good Luck, and Thank You!

Erickka

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]First, congrats! It wonderful to have one's art wanted!

Second, the decision is one for a lifetime. Once you do this, there is no going back.

There are a lot of people who publish books, art, etc that are trans and their previous lives are not displayed. Unless it directly pertains to your art, sounds to me like someone is looking to exploit you.

Example:
    Bre and I have a blog (linked in my signature). Bre is a transwoman and I am a GG. We actually have quite a few readers and the number is growing as time goes on. At one point we thought about making it a more permanent income (and we still might but have other issues going on at the moment).

Quite a few of our friends suggested we specifically state Bre is trans and sell the blog with that idea. I told Bre it would be entirely her decision. She decided that she doesn't want to only be known as a transwoman. She doesn't want people tuning in just for that reason. She'd rather the blog do well on its own merit. She is not ashamed of who she is, but its not the only thing that defines her.

Sooner or later, if your popularity grows, someone somewhere is going to post pictures of you as a man. Someone will divulge your male name. There's no need to do that for them unless, as previously stated, it pertains directly to what you are doing.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Thanks for your comments girls, they are all sinking in. I am meeting my agent in a month so plenty of time to get what I want (and it needs to be what I want as well as what they want, with a negotiable bit in the middle) out there. I do see it as a vehicle for acceptance since nobody really knows about us or why we do what we do. Keep the thoughts coming in, it is only going to help me,

And thanks again
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

If you feel good about it, and you have a support system of friends and family, Then I say go for it girl. I think it's about time we have someone to legitamize crossressing and transgenderism. The media has, for too long portrayed us as buffoons, perverts, whackos, and questionable members of society. With you as our spokesperson perhaps we will all be seen as ordinary folks.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Tricia, I say go for it. The family is behind or beside you in this endevor so then it is how much are they willing to pay you for your stories.

Karren, VS is not going to let you model linerie so don't get your hope up. LOL

Teri

Before you go for it, consider these two questions. Can you survive on the monies earned? And how have the publications that may carry your work treated the subject of transgenderism before? Have they ridiculed or made fun of it? Mocked it?
    Just some more things for you to think about.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

As long and family and friends are knowledgeable about your gender situation and if you feel that you can look forward to a 24/7 lifestyle, I'd certainly go for it. Just make sure that you can live with the results and publicity. Hey, there are many that have transitioned and frankly I wouldn't mind even the publicity. That it also could lead to being a 24/7 woman, what is the downside? That others know you are a gemnetic male? So what? Fame and fortune can more than offset that. If you can be comfortable being oiut and taking the opportunities that gives you to be a woman go for it.
    Dawn