Thread: Renaissance adventure

Renaissance adventure

The other night I was sitting and talking with a ggf of mine from the Legion, as I came out in preparation of going full time and transitioning. As we were discussing the future we hit on dressing and some of my outfits that I have wore in public. The ones that you would not wear unless you were going out someplace special. Well I mentioned my outfit for halloween last year being a renaissance wench and showed her the new dress I picked up for this years activities. She jump up saying we need to go to the renaissance fair that has started and will be going for the next few weekends. Now Ivy is married but she wanted to dress for the day and have fun so we are going in a couple weeks we are heading out.

Does anyone also have these kind of events in your area that you can step out and be yourself? Many times we wait for halloween but these kind of events really do give one who is not out of the closet a chance to express your feminine side without a lot of flack. I will post pictures in the "out and about forum" when I get back.

Huggs Teri

I've gone to the Maryland Renaissance Festival en femme for the last two years. I didn't have my own costume, but I rented mine from the costume rental place. Since then, I've acquired several of my own costumes, but I might still rent this yeear because it allows me to use their changing rooms and I won't have to leave my house or neighborhood dressed.

I'd like to get a group of us from DC, MD and VA to meet up there this year. I think it would be great fun to share the experience with other CDs. As you can see from my signature, the people at the costume rental place are really cool about it. Search my threads, because I think I wrote about my last visit there.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    Have fun MiLady!!!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I have not done that, but I want to

I really like Ren Fair wear ( if that is a style ), I just do not own much that could be turned into it.... Next summer I plan on going to some though. Those in this area are over I believe.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Renfest

I am thinking of going to the renfest in the next few weeks...I have never gone dressed up but am going to this year ...I would love to meet up with some girls and enjoy the day

Well, would you know it, it rained for three days before the weekend and my friend couldn't make it. Ugggggg But a sister had also called about a CD costume party so I went to it instead. We had a great time and met a number of our friends here on the forum. It was a late night but the experiance was fantastic. There is next year and of course it will give me time to improve the outfit.

The point I guess one needs to realize there are a lot of ways to get out and all we need to do is look for them. It doesn't have to be a large gathering but can be as simple as a theme party you put together for a few friends. Live outside the box and it can be fun.

Teri

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Great idea, Teri Jean!

I'm SURE Sherry'd love to go! But, I'll need a seeing eye person!

Sorry about the RAIN!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have two friends that are pre-op TS at the Texas Renaissance Festival, and one of our very own sisters from this site comes to TRF and Scarborough Faire here in Texas. TRF starts this weekend and I am so psyched about it. I can't wait to be out there every weekend selling swords and then on Halloween night comes the CHAOS UnQueenly Pageant. WOOHOO. (it's a rennie drag show).

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KandisTX View Post
    I have two friends that are pre-op TS at the Texas Renaissance Festival, and one of our very own sisters from this site comes to TRF and Scarborough Faire here in Texas. (it's a rennie drag show).

Kandis
    Yep, that would be me and I am sooooooooooooooooo looking forward to TRF this year. I might even make it out on the weekend of the 17th (in time for the faerie invasion no less). After that I'll definitely be there for the final two weekends so I hope to see my sisters there again too

*hugs*

Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

How did I miss this thread?

I'm at the Maryland Renaissance festival the entire season, and I plan to be there this coming weekend!

Wow I knew there had to be a few more fairs out there and it is a great time to be out. I think if I wasn't so tall going as a faery would be fun but then a woodland lady would also be great. I like the clothing of the period and the food is great at our fair also. It probably is not the best for your waist line but tasty non the less. LOL Have fun ladies and for those men out there make sure your tights are on correctly. LOL

Huggs Teri

Went to the Pittsburgh Ren Fest a few weeks ago and it was great.. Not enfemme.. But nothing like wenchs in corsetts and guys in skirts and chard meat!!! Have a blast!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Heyas, I saw this thread and had to join and make my first post.

I actually work at The Pennsylvannia Renaissance Faire, and as I am in transition I do it en-femme. The Faire management has really been supportive.
    For garb, I choose Thorny Rose as she is willing to adapt her designs and is familiar with the TG spectrum. Plus, the way she makes things; It's not costume, it's clothing.
    The Faire is currently running with 4 more weekends counting this coming one. Feel free to come and enjoy.

Also, those who wish to further explore historical dress, there are many of us in the Society of Creative Anachronism , as well.

if your looking for adventure !!!

I am a member of the SCA (society of creative anachronisms). Check out their website at www.sca.org not everyone is a "period” hater but it is wise to do some research on your persona make or purchase your costume. And have fun with it. My role is a 13th century Scotsman. I am a merchant and I wear the kilt the whole nine yards. There is group every wear you just have to search it out. And some of the people there are pretty open minded. Especially in Europe. The SCA is worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Amymonroe View Post
    I am a member of the SCA (society of creative anachronisms). Check out their website at www.sca.org not everyone is a "period” hater but it is wise to do some research on your persona make or purchase your costume. And have fun with it. My role is a 13th century Scotsman. I am a merchant and I wear the kilt the whole nine yards. There is group every wear you just have to search it out. And some of the people there are pretty open minded. Especially in Europe. The SCA is worldwide.
    Nice to see another SCAer and medievalist here!

I am long time SCA and a peer (SCA folks will undrestand). I don't get to events dressed at my wife's request but many of my friends know about Margo and are cool with it.

I am not a big fan of Renn Faires because i prefer a bit more authenticity (but not to living history levls) in my re-creation and in So Cal, found a group of people better suited to me in the SCA, than Renn Faire. But I do agree that they can be a fun place to wear big pretty period dresses.

And just a small FYI: Kilts are 16th centuy at the earliest and ony worn by highland scots, not everyone. For 13th c you would likely be dressed similar to English fashions of the day, particularly if you are rich, noble or of a higher class.
    Last edited by SabrinaDubh; 10-08-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    How accepting is the SCA, and other renaissance groups, of us?
    Dana Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by punkduckmargot View Post
    Nice to see another SCAer and medievalist here!

I am long time SCA and a peer (SCA folks will undrestand). I don't get to events dressed at my wife's request but many of my friends know about Margo and are cool with it.

I am not a big fan of Renn Faires because i prefer a bit more authenticity (but not to living history levls) in my re-creation and in So Cal, found a group of people better suited to me in the SCA, than Renn Faire. But I do agree that they can be a fun place to wear big pretty period dresses.

And just a small FYI: Kilts are 16th centuy at the earliest and ony worn by highland scots, not everyone. For 13th c you would likely be dressed similar to English fashions of the day, particularly if you are rich, noble or of a higher class.
    Greetings from Bhakail and the East!
    In sooth, while what we think of as a kilt (the word itself is not found prior to the mid 1700's) did not appear until the invention of the 'wee' kilt in the 1700's (invented by an Englishman, no less!); there are notes that speak of the 'belted plaid' worn by highland Nobles prior to the 1600's. So it could have been seen on a late period Scot.
    In the periods prior to the 1500's, a tunic is more often descibed "coming to Mid thigh with the legs bare", with a cloak sometimes worn coming to the knee length.

YISttD,
    WRI

Quote Originally Posted by danar View Post
    How accepting is the SCA, and other renaissance groups, of us?
    Fairly well accepting in the SCA, I Even know of one group run by a Female Baron whose personia is male within the group.

At Faire, It has been my experience that most folks are accepting, with the exception of the general public, who occasionally snerk behind thier hand.

As a patron, pretty much anything is accepted, providing one remebers to act like a lady.

And also greetings from Killian from the Middle Kingdom. No longer active do to some nasty politics that hurt some friends of mine. I was a fighter, squire, Occasional merchant, and for 1 year I was titled the "Worlds ugliest lady in waiting to the Queen". I didn't dress but I still had fun with the title. And yes, the SCA can be very accepting. It can also have a bunch of testosterone driven jerks like everywhere else.

I own a small piece of land right behind the Texas renaissance grounds where I spend some time during the weekends and always considered the event an annoyance because of the traffic but since I started dressing I changed my mind and now I am looking forward to this year event

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    I am looking forward to this year event
    Well come on out and look me up I'll be out there second weekend and not hard to find.

As for acceptance, I've found that all of the renfaires I have worked for and attended have been very supportive for the last ten years. Yes, the general public that visits are the ones who may or may not comment, but otherwise it really IS a blast.

*hugs*

Zara
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zarabeth View Post
    Well come on out and look me up I'll be out there second weekend and not hard to find.

Zara
    And I will be there EVERY weekend. I work at a booth called "The Pirates Cove" so I'll be in guy mode all the time, except for Halloween Night in the Patron Campground for the UnQueenly pageant, I'm unveiling my new personna there this year, her name is Anita GutBoinkin.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.